New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any limitations
 Login/Join

posted
Hi;
I have not purchases the software yet, while I am very seriously thinking about it. I am a tailor and want to get into designing. Which I have done to any extent, but want to do more of it.

O.K. sorry, with that, I like to some times do wild and crazy designs and also some costumes, historical and modern.

I would like to know if anyone has found any limitations to this software as far as that goes. Oh, yeah, forgot to say that what I'm looking as the Ultimate Suite.

Thank you for any of your help.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 01 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe that with the DS designs, including the different designer sub-programs, you would have a great jumping off place for most things you'd want to put on your body. The limitations would be having to mix and match different designs, or doing some pencil work to let your crazy side take off from the current designs.

My daughter saw a dress she liked that was a wrap around and halter neck. I had to print two of the DS designs and mesh them together, which wasn't all that hard. The worst part was when she got it in the mail, trying to figure out how to put it on.

It seems that most clothes are just variations of basic designs. DS takes care of the basic design, the ease you decide and where, and several of the designer touches that are common to sleeves, collars, etc. There is a learning curve, like many of the more powerful programs out there. And every once in a while, a glitch shows up, usually when a unique sequence of commands is given. And there are a couple of quirks that we have learned to live with. Not that different from several other programs I have. The difference is that support is much more supportive with DS. I have several programs that I plug along at learning, re-reading the manuals, doing what I can do while I try to learn how to make it do more.

May be more than you wanted to know. But I hope that helps. I'm off to put the turn up cuff on the best fitting princess blouse I've every had... but next time, I'll try it with a slightly lower front neck. Always fiddling.

Carol
London

Posts: 21 | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You will probably not find everything you want in the program. No software (pattern book, etc.) will offer everything.

What DS will give you is a good fit to start with. Add all the tools and styles you get with the ultimate suite and you will be able to do a lot.

I play with the tools all the time, and have created some styles that I really like. Sometimes, though, I need to use my pencil to go a little bit farther.

Once you have a good fit you will also be able to overlay DS and a commercial pattern to get the DS fit and the commercial style line.

Recently I have been taking an on-line class. While others are struggling with adjusting a commercial pattern to fit them, I just start with a DS pattern and make the style changes from there. Much easier! Cool

Carolyn

Posts: 190 | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you so very much for your help. You have been wonderful and answered what I wanted to know.

I understand the deal with software. I also do custom embroidery and do my own digitizing, some times that can be a pain that is very rewarding. I'm going to assume this software is sort of the same. :-)

Thank you. I look forward to being able to put input on the site soon as a user. :-)

Posts: 2 | Registered: 01 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post