Dress Shop Home Page    livingsoftnw.groupee.net    Discussion List  Hop To Forum Categories  Dress Shop App  Hop To Forums  Dress Shop Topics    Measuring for scoliosis
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Measuring for scoliosis
 Login/Join

posted
Hello!

Sometime next month, I will be measuring someone who has moderate scoliosis (curvature of the spine). One hip is noticeably higher than the other, one leg is shorter than the other, one shoulder droops downward -- you get the picture. What's the best way to measure someone like this for DS8?

Thanks!
Barb

Posts: 36 | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When measuring someone who has scoliosis it is necessary to measure the left side and the right side separately. You will have two sets of measurements, left and right. Mark the center front and center back as well as the other reference points for measuring. When taking a horizontal measurement measurement measure from center front to center back and double the amount to enter on the chart. Your FTWCF, FTWCB, CF and CB should be the same on both charts. When printing be sure that the right view is chosen for the right side and the left view for the left. Pattern pieces for the upper body can be taped together and cut singly to omit having a center seam. Other wise cut each piece singly. Sometimes the back cannot avoid having a center seam because of extreme contours.

I have had excellent results with this method for a friend of mine.

Selma in VA
DS Educator

Posts: 32 | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Always measure to the larger higher taller, wider side. You can take in during construction but its really hard to "add".

Use whatever is in the bag of tricks to adjust left to right SHORT of two charts- melding 2 at center only Highlights the asymmetry. Suggest shoulder pads, stay tape waist lines find the happy medium of ease that allows the fabric to flow over the curves rather than conform to them.

Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Draw an imaginary straight line from just under the neck to the floor, and the top of the backbone(center of the back neck) to the floor. Ignore the actual path of the backbone. Mark the body the usual way, but measure the right and left sides separately, and multiply by two. Keep all center measurements the same for each side. I have a right and a left Diane, and print patterns for each side. The patterns will match in the middle. I can use shoulder pads to disguise my shoulder assymmetry. I've only been making this sort of correction for me since 1964. No one, even sew-ers, notices my very lopsided hips. This works far better than trying to refit a single sized pattern.

Diane in Central Virginia
Computer Aided Threads
Livingsoft and Electric Quilt
Educator

Posts: 39 | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post