New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thigh placement
 Login/Join

posted
Been meaning to ask ...

ConfusedWhen the Reference Line indicate "Thigh" is this actually the Mid-Thigh chart measurement? Vertically it would seem so. I have 10.25" from my crotch to my knee -- the Thigh reference line is 6" lower than my crotch seam and 4.25" above my knee.

I'm trying to get a pant that is "slim fitting" in the entire upper leg and then flare it out slightly from the knee to hem for balance.

I tried the Flared Pants last month but the hip shaping didn't work with my body -- it is different at default than the hip shaping on the Slim Fit Pants. The "silhouette" of the pants in the torso (Slim Fit v Flare) is also different in standard RTW sizes.

But that is another question for a different topic.

I'm just interested now in knowing that the Thigh line is actually a Mid-Thigh line. And if it isn't, why isn't the line placed much higher on the leg close to the crotch?

DSPro 6.14 (w/patch a) ... Fashion Designer 1&2, Fit Tool, Princess Designer
Activewear II, Spring/Summer 2005, Illusions, Ultimate Outerwear, Ultimate Pants
Add-Ons 1-14, Pattern Sets 1044-46, 1049-52
Windows XP

Posts: 126 | Location: Ohio, USA | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Board Administrator
posted Hide Post
The high thigh line was removed from the reference line placements back about DS4 something. Yes the line on the chart is mid thigh.

Kaaren

Board Administrator, Dress Shop App

Posts: 1868 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Board Administrator:
The high thigh line was removed from the reference line placements back about DS4 something. Yes the line on the chart is mid thigh.

Kaaren

So is the Thigh Ease in the Fit Tool also the mid-thigh ... or is that the true high thigh?

TIA

DSPro 6.14 (w/patch a) ... Fashion Designer 1&2, Fit Tool, Princess Designer
Activewear II, Spring/Summer 2005, Illusions, Ultimate Outerwear, Ultimate Pants
Add-Ons 1-14, Pattern Sets 1044-46, 1049-52
Windows XP

Posts: 126 | Location: Ohio, USA | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Board Administrator
posted Hide Post
the control point is high thigh
Kaaren

Posts: 1868 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Marilyn in Brisbane>
posted
Do I understand this correctly?

Measurements are taken both upper thigh & mid thigh.
Reference line shows mid-thigh.
Program drafts to upper-thigh.

So changes made to ease etc will draft at upper-thigh and use upper-thigh measurement.

Mid-thigh measurement and mid-thigh reference line are just extras that don't actually affect the draft and don't really tell us anything.

Confusing and mis-leading.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Geez, just when you think it's safe to go in the water...

Gayle, the way I got rid of the excess back leg was by using the Slim Fit pant. On a couple of pair, using stretch denim, I even shortened front crotch extension by .5" to pull the back forward. It wasn't uncomfortable, and looked great. As a 50something mom with teenage daughters, I have to yield to the "cool" factor every once in awhile. Kelly

Posts: 272 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Board Administrator
posted Hide Post
I just wanted to add the fitted pant is not a jeans/tight leg contour. Its a dress pant.

It doesnt use the thigh measurement at all in the leg witdth computation depending more on hip and body depth to set leg width. The slim fit pant does use the thigh measurement.

I often suggest people sit down and do a little playing with paper dolls to understand what each silhouette offers.

Print the following:
fitted pant with waist band and with elastic waist
slim fit pant
semi fitted pant
jeans
slacks or trousers
sweatpants or cargo pants

now turn them upside down so hem is at top
overlay and match hem and grain line.

now you can visually see the difference in leg, torso and crotch rise.

Kaaren