Dress Shop Home Page    livingsoftnw.groupee.net    Discussion List  Hop To Forum Categories  Dress Shop App  Hop To Forums  Dress Shop Topics    patterns always too big
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

patterns always too big
 Login/Join

posted
Hi there
I hope someone can give me some ideas. I am using Dress shop pro and a while ago with some help from some lovely dress shop ladies, I was able to get a successful sloper garment. It still fits nicely.
My problem is every pattern I have ever drafted from my measurements (hasnt been many as I dont get a lot of time to sew) always ends up way too big.
My latest project was a two piece high wasted dress with two front darts & side dart as well as two back darts.
The darts in the skirt pattern didnt even come close to matching the bodice and the bodice just feels too big. I've got pictures I could send if required as I dont know if you can add them to these messages.

What am I doing wrong?

Posts: 5 | Location: Fremantle WA | Registered: 26 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IT could easily be the choice of patterns at a looser fit level than desired, or the measurement chart isnt quite whata it needs to be. Hard to tell from this distance.
Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sconski:
... I was able to get a successful sloper garment. It still fits nicely.

Hi, I'm wondering about your comment above. I never would have described my DS bodice sloper as fitting "nicely". It was pretty much skin tight except for being able to move my arms a little. Any more movement and the sloper would be pulling some place.

Is there a chance that you sized the sloper to be a wearable garment? If that's the case, DS is adding the same wear ease when it creates the garment pattern that you've already added by increasing your measurements making the garment too large.

If the sloper is tight, then I would do as Kaaren says and check the fit level or ease. I know I tried to add too much ease to my first blouse because I was used to RTW clothes being tight.

HTH, Vicki

MPD Pro 4.00a, DS 9.09a, Win 7, IE10, HP Deskjet 7000 & Officejet Pro K8600

Posts: 208 | Location: in Texas | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Vicki,
I have the very same problem on the patterns I have used. I ended up throwing away four yards of beautiful wool plaid because the skirt and the bodice were so far apart. The design was a wrap bodice fitted onto a pleated skirt. It was not a success. My fitted shirt ended up looking like a jacket with a peplum because of the darting problems in the back. That was addressed by DS and fixed in a subsequent update. I just embroidered a flower above the waist and use the garment as a jacket with a peplum. Actually, it is rather cute, even though it was not what I was trying to do. The princess garments are under investigation and are going to fit better when the new DS update is released. The next problem I had was when 6.16 came into being, but the opposite thing happened. My 6.12 and 6.14 pants were fitting well, then they turned into a sloper fit with the 6.16 download. My measurement set and fit, and experience with the fit tool were not the problem. Several longtime users of DS were as perplexed as I. Keep trying, though, and eventually you will probably figure out what happened. As you go through your "look-see" measure the paper pattern against the numbers that are printed on it and your measurement chart.

Posts: 272 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sometimes we have happy accidents! with failure to get what we want.I remember a time when i cut out pants,short on fabric was the issue though,I ended up putting a peblum in the back, or whats known now as a yoke I guess hehehe.But I always run a test garment prior to making up with good fabric, trial and errors worth the little extra effort then,that way I can see what and where I need to add some ease etc!

M.P.D4.Pro.MPD Tools
Collections-Spring- Summer-Fall- Winter-Jeans Machine.
Windows7Home Prem. IE10

Posts: 1535 | Location: Ontario. Canada | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post