Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Patterns in MPD
 Login/Join

posted
I'm a Gold Member and confused about using patterns I already own in DS vs MPD. When I try to print a blouse in MPD, a pattern already owned in DS, I'm unable to do so without purchasing it or using "credits" you've given me. I don't understand why I need to purchase or use credits for anything since I've already invested my money in your software and products (which includes all patterns).

Additionally, I understand, with the last MPD upgrade, I am no longer able to import saved "basic" patterns from DS to MPD.

I look forward to your response. Thank you so much.

Brenda M. in Alexandria, VA
Dress Shop Everything

Posts: 17 | Location: Millsboro, DE | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a basic misunderstanding of what MPD does.

You own Dress Shop. You can use, print and adjust patterns that are named Patterns in Dress Shop just as you always have. NONE of the capability of Dress Shop is lost/removed/gone in any way. We expect to continue to offer Dress Shop for sale and to update it.

Continue to use and enjoy your Dress Shop program with all the tools and elements you have purchased.

My Patter Designer is a tool by which you create NEW design elements, fit levels, styles.

For years we have created new designs releasing them as pattern sets, add ons and collections.

Users always wanted more patterns, and as you indicate still do.

Sometimes they wanted an element or feature that was released in a collection but didnt want the entire collection.

Collections run from 49 to 129 dollars each.

We were often asked I want "this" pattern but not all the rest.Can I buy just that "xyz" element, feature,fit level,neckline whatever.

Here is an example : I want the classic yoke released in mens wear for my womens garments; But, not all the rest- I dont sew for men.

If you wanted the classic yoke badly enough you had a choice.shell out $129.00 (99- during the intro period) or go without it.

Since Bob created something we called Designer Mode ( DM for short) a few years ago the design team ( 3 people total) could combine elements to create new designs. It was NOT part of Drress Shop and users couldnt buy it at any price.

You had to have a calculator at your side and start with the "right block" and then have Bob hardwire those into the code for the named new pattern.

More necklines had to be set, ditto sleeves, and various elements from shoulder pleats to pant pleats.

Fit levels could be used to a point.

By creating a new software company and code that worked WITH Dress Shop sizing the designer tools were made user friendly and a huge catalog of pattern possibilities and elements can be created.

Many months were spent flagging elements that cant work and turning OFF stuff rather than turning anything on.( it was all on) and some elements wont work with others. Such as a cowl neck and a side dart.What a mess that would be.

But a new user may attempt such a combination and then have a hissy fit that it didnt work, her blouse front would pull way off grain and the cowl effect would be negated.

That was WHY only 2 users outside the company partners ever worked with it! We could be assured they either "knew" or would figure out.that wont work!

The new Program is NOT made by Livingsoft,Inc which no longer exists and has not existed since 2003, or by Livingsoftnw,Inc which does publish Dress Shop. LivingsoftNW is the obvious choice of publisher for MPD.

In order to give "metals" their 8 patterns LivingsoftNw,Inc had to arrange to acquire those patterns from MY Pattern Designer,LLC.

To make this evry clear.
Named Patterns in Dress Shop get used in Dress Shop- you have available all the released tools in My Pattern designer and can adjust those patterns as you desire just as you always have.

My Pattern Designer creates new patterns by a fairly limited ,pruned count, of 90,000 patterns.

Instead of releasing them as a collection by us with just my or another designers choices as the "collection" you can chose the patterns you want in your personalized collection and buy them one at a time for $8 or in batches for as low as $5.00 each. You can spring for a bunch or a single unit.

Dress Shop with all its 700+ possible patterns and their variables and options are still there to be used and enjoyed.

Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Once your buy an MPD pattern, you own it but can you do any modifications during the next use or must you continually repeat the pattern exactly or purchase a new pattern for any changes? I have not yet purchased MPD and I have many unanswered questions. I have been a DS user since one of the earliest versions, my program came to my on a floppy disc. How can I get all of my questions answered before I decide to purchase MPD? Also why are there no coat patterns in MPD.

Dress Shop 6.17, Fashion Designer 1 & 2, Princess Designer, Fit Tools

Posts: 5 | Location: Queens, New York | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Outerwear is in test now.coats jackets etc.

M.P.D4.Pro.MPD Tools
Collections-Spring- Summer-Fall- Winter-Jeans Machine.
Windows7Home Prem. IE10

Posts: 1535 | Location: Ontario. Canada | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Once your buy an MPD pattern, you own it but can you do any modifications during the next use or must you continually repeat the pattern exactly or purchase a new pattern for any changes?

Any owned pattern may be altered using every option available. For a very brief overview of the options available, see:

MPD Options

Every option dialog in that list there is similar to the Dress Shop tools. Many, many options in each category. Every MPD pattern you own can use those options again and again, with different values each time you print.

quote:
I have not yet purchased MPD and I have many unanswered questions. I have been a DS user since one of the earliest versions, my program came to my on a floppy disc. How can I get all of my questions answered before I decide to purchase MPD?

There is a frequently asked questions page on the MPD web site. See "More About MPD" then "Frequent Questions".

But, your best answers are to try it. Download MPD and install it. Play with it. You can do everything but print. Seeing what is there and how it is different from Dress Shop is easiest when it is on your system, rather than reading about it on paper or on a web site.

quote:
Also why are there no coat patterns in MPD.

Outerwear patterns are being released this coming week. There are other collections coming to MPD in the coming months. As each is added, we are first adding every combination of features that was not fully supported in Dress Shop. Short jackets with lapels and a curve between closure and hem, for instance, did not work at all until MPD. Those do work now.

Then, we also revisit fit and ease and options for all of those patterns, making improvements and retesting. The princess line jackets and vests were completely reworked and improved. The improvements made there are migrating to the blouses and dresses and will show up in Dress Shop one day soon, too. But, with the MPD releases, we are doing that review and retest, category by category.

The process will take a few more months, as we work through men's wear, children's patterns, activewear, loungewear, tailored outerwear, and lingerie.

Each in its time. Outerwear's time is this coming weeek....

DressShopBob
(Bob Clardy)

Posts: 718 | Registered: 18 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One you buy a pattern you may select any "option" that comes with it.such as buy astandard necklines get jewel vee square, sweetheart etc. Set in sleeves gets you undarted straight, darted, gathered, shirtmaker in any length. You also get up to 5 levels of fit for each form fit std casual relaxed and unfitted.

The catalog choices set the patetrn number you own.anythign in otpions is for multiple use with that patetrn over n over.

We are releasign the MPD collections in groups.the first group is 13 collections of womans wear. Outerwear fo a casual soft tailored nature comes very soon.after that mens, active, kids etc.......

The catalog gets bigger with most updates at no charge...you use your credits with current collections or use one of your credits with next release........

download the progam then view the demo.read the user manual, read the posts on this board, ask questions and refer back to the MPD home page for details.

Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Has the princess wear dress also been reworked? I love that style and I had enormous side pockets under the arms with Dress Shop.

fyfee

got it all. Running Dress Shop 6.19 and MPD pro; doll shop, home dec and hat shop

Posts: 34 | Location: Renton, Washington | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
all princess patterns have been worked.the entire class from blouses, dress,vests, tunics, jackets and coats
Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

posted Hide Post
quote:
Has the princess wear dress also been reworked? I love that style and I had enormous side pockets under the arms with Dress Shop.

Yes. All princess line patterns have been revised.

We want to offer a special thanks to two groups that have helped us on this. The Washington State user's group took it upon themselves to not only research the princess line armhole fit, but to submit many problem reports on the subject, each with a measurement set that showed the problem, as well as photos showing the results. The information was an invaluable help in tracking down a problem that some people reported and others did not.

The second group was our beta test team that ran the changes through many pattern tests and helped us refine the change through several mistaken fix attempts.

The results may still need further tweaking for some in the future. But, the fit of all princess line patterns should be much improved over what it has been in the past. In particular, anyone that had flaps of fabric at the underarm should see a significant improvement there.

DressShopBob
(Bob Clardy)

posted Hide Post
Yes. All princess line patterns have been revised.

DressShopBob
(Bob Clardy)

I'm reposting, sorry if duplicate messages are sent. I wasn't sure whether my first message went out.

Hi Bob,

Will this include the princess wear in DS? I purchased Princess Designer when it first came out in DS and have never been able to get a good fit. I don't want to have to purchase something that I thought I had already paid for.

Thanks,
Rena Evans

Posts: 75 | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Will this include the princess wear in DS? I purchased Princess Designer when it first came out in DS and have never been able to get a good fit. I don't want to have to purchase something that I thought I had already paid for.

Yes. The princess line improvements will show up in the next Dress Shop update as well.

DressShopBob
(Bob Clardy)

posted Hide Post
Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!
I love the princess design.

Have a Blessed Day!
Rena Evans

Posts: 75 | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post