Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Maternity wear?
 Login/Join

posted
I am thinking about buying dress shop, but my main needs right now are to sew clothes for my little tots, and for my own pregnant self. It doesn't look like this is the program's real forte, or at least from the demo it is not obvious how to do it and how well it works. Does anyone have experience trying to design maternity clothes and little kids' clothes using this software, and care to comment?

E

Posts: 2 | Registered: 26 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Emily, I have used DS for maternity clothes for my DD's pregnancy and then for the 6 years of growth for my DGD. Did good dresses, a summer robe, and a velour winter robe that went right up to DD's December delivery date. DGD has gotten Halloween costumes every year, low-rider pants (since she doesn't like them over her waist), skirts, blouses, dresses, tunics, pjs, nightgowns, and whatever else caught her fancy and mine. Most of her clothes (and matching ones for her 18-inch doll) have been cut out around mine, so my leftovers are really small.

By the way, DD and DGD have never lived closer than several hundred miles. I've had DD measured by DS educators where she lives and had DD measure DGD for the important numbers like height, waist, etc.

Great software for the purpose!

Marj in Southeastern PA
DS Pro everything
MPD Pro current

Posts: 220 | Location: zipcode: 19087 | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marj in Southeastern PA:
Emily, I have used DS for maternity clothes for my DD's pregnancy and then for the 6 years of growth for my DGD. Did good dresses, a summer robe, and a velour winter robe that went right up to DD's December delivery date. DGD has gotten Halloween costumes every year, low-rider pants (since she doesn't like them over her waist), skirts, blouses, dresses, tunics, pjs, nightgowns, and whatever else caught her fancy and mine. Most of her clothes (and matching ones for her 18-inch doll) have been cut out around mine, so my leftovers are really small.

By the way, DD and DGD have never lived closer than several hundred miles. I've had DD measured by DS educators where she lives and had DD measure DGD for the important numbers like height, waist, etc.

Great software for the purpose!
Also the Empire Dresses would be good, with more ease applied.Plus the elasticated waist in pants.

M.P.D4.Pro.MPD Tools
Collections-Spring- Summer-Fall- Winter-Jeans Machine.
Windows7Home Prem. IE10

Posts: 1535 | Location: Ontario. Canada | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Posted 26 February 2007 09:32 PM
I am thinking about buying dress shop, but my main needs right now are to sew clothes for my little tots, and for my own pregnant self. It doesn't look like this is the program's real forte, or at least from the demo it is not obvious how to do it and how well it works. Does anyone have experience trying to design maternity clothes and little kids' clothes using this software, and care to comment?

Dress Shop and the newer program My Pattern Designer both offer Childrens sizes, patterns scaled to a childs body shape. MPD has just released a huge set of collections for kids.

Custom measurements mean when the body is measured the program will draft to those numbers. No matter how advanced the pregnancy is first/second or third trimester the clothing will fit. Just keep enlarging the FRONT numbers at bust/waist/ abd and hip as you progress.

Empire designs for blouses/"waisted" dresses are ideal. anything using a drawstring/elastic casing will work for skirts and pants in the early stages and you can substitute a maternity panel "ribbing"/ stretch band similiar to a half circle shaped insert on pants skirts and shorts front for later stages if desired.

Ive made maternity outfits for my daughters and dil..with happy sucess. We now have NINE grand kids!

Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kaaren Hoback:

Dress Shop and the newer program My Pattern Designer both offer Childrens sizes, patterns scaled to a childs body shape. MPD has just released a huge set of collections for kids.
<snip>

Kaaren

This is encouraging--also the reports from the others who responded. So what is the difference between My Pattern Designer and Dress Shop, and how would I choose which one is better for me?

When I look at the "model" in dress shop showing a children's size 2 pattern, the picture is of an approximately eight year old girl, and it is very hard to judge what the garment would look like on my toddler, and whether I'm choosing the pattern style I want. Am I missing something?

Another question about measurements during pregnancy: do you measure the waist at the position it used to be (getting bigger), or do you reinterpret the waist as the narrow part above the hump, and just let the abdomen and front rise get bigger? Really, this is a question about how the drafting software works to interpret measurements, and I have no familiarity with it.

Emily

Posts: 2 | Registered: 26 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Another question about measurements during pregnancy: do you measure the waist at the position it used to be (getting bigger), or do you reinterpret the waist as the narrow part above the hump, and just let the abdomen and front rise get bigger? Really, this is a question about how the drafting software works to interpret measurements, and I have no familiarity with it.

Having been pregnant 5 times (youngest is over 30) I recall that the waistline rises proportionatly to underbust and the bust increases and hips widen.

Adjustments would be to bust underbust high waist ,waist and then of course abd and hip.

You probably wont be making a fitting bathing suit that will shape to the figure but want to shape the shoulder to bust area then want room to expand below the bust.

the side seam at bust to waist line for the young and trim angles into the waist \---/

the expectant mom can expect to shape /---\

when the waist is equal tothe bust the side seam = |---| when greater than the bust line you get the splayed figure all you need do is enter numbers.

Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post