Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vista
 Login/Join

posted
I have Vista Home Premium. I would like to hear from the people who have been successful in getting their measurements into Dress Shop. How did you do it? Would you be willing to discuss with me what you did & compare notes. I've talked to Peggy Sue & she thinks the only way is just to type them all in UGH! I think I might need to reinstall DS7. And I'm wondering if that might solve some my problems (clean slate & all that). I have a MyDSMeasurements in my Pattern Defaults file but when I open it it shows "0 records" but when I ask DS to load measurements it has 3 sets of measurements that it will load. (It's hiding them somewhere!)

Carol in Spokane

MPD Pro DS Pro 7.02, Pattern Library (1-14 & up through 1046), FD1&2, UP, UO, Hat Shop, Doll Shop Deluxe, Princess Designer, Fit Tool, illusions, Hat shop, Spring & Summer 2005, Activewear II Windows XP, IE 6 CanonS520 Men's Essentials

Posts: 59 | Registered: 10 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I shipped my new Vista tower from New York and it has arrived, and is now hooked up. This was an early version of vista purchased June of last sumemr I used for 2 months and left in NY- I understand current Vista versions also have a "classic" view which is more like XP.

First I turned off all security, firewalls etc
Loaded both DS and MPD, activated both.

I brought up a standard chart in each creating a My Measurement file in each program and closed the program.

I had my "my Measurements" for both programs saved to a stick drive.(DS was on a Cruzer sandisk and MPD was on a larger Pleomax external drive Which I connected to the pc. both worked equally well)

I then opened the stick drives and using the Edit- then copy to feature loaded the DS My Measurements to the C Program Files, livingsoft/dressshop/ds/mymeasurements.

I did the same with the MPD file to C Program files, Mypatterndesigner/mpd/mymeasurements.

I repeated the process to copy all the saved My patterns that were created and saved from the MY Patterns folder.

after installign everything I turned the security features back on.

I then removed the stick drive and opened each program to examine all my charts. As you might guess I have many, many charts for each program

We are in the middle of beta testing right now and I'm getting frequent new "builds" which I can download and unzip to the proper place with no problems.

Within the past hour I updated the records I added since last summer and used the same process.

Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Kaaren,

thanks for the info. there are some steps there I never heard before.
I am lazy Smiler I know I don't have as many measurements as you BUT I have way more than I want to type in. (Besides too much chance for error Razzer)

MPD Pro DS Pro 7.02, Pattern Library (1-14 & up through 1046), FD1&2, UP, UO, Hat Shop, Doll Shop Deluxe, Princess Designer, Fit Tool, illusions, Hat shop, Spring & Summer 2005, Activewear II Windows XP, IE 6 CanonS520 Men's Essentials

posted Hide Post
i just noticed something else .... your pathname does not include Pattern Defaults. Is that correct? How did you get Vista not to put it in there? When I took it out of Pattern defaults my laptop had a hissy fit!

posted Hide Post
Carol
I really don't ;know, it has been to many months ago.
M

Posts: 11 | Registered: 13 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Vista will put everything in pattern defaults and the program can not find it there.

What you want to do is physically place the my measurements and my pattern files as stand alone entries...from a stick drive or external drive or even as a download from an email...NOT into pattern defaults..
Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK Kaaren, let me see if I have this right.
I do have MyMeas , MyPatterns & MyActivations on a flash drive.
MyPatts & Activation codes went in by just dragging & dropping into the Dress Shop & MPD files. They work fine. MyMeasurements did not.

I'm going to try to reinstall MPD & DS7 b/c I KNOW I have faulty pathways to the mesurement files now.

so could you tell me exactly what to do? (Translation; type very slowly Big Grin since i seem to be mentally challenged in this area)

After I do a new install & I have MyMeas on a flash drive What next?
Do I open each program?
One at a time?
Are the measurement files named the same thing in both programs? (I all ready figured this one out.. NO; MyDSMeas & MyMeas)

Looking at my XP computer in Dress Shop it is just a text doc inside the Drees Shop folder.
In MPD it is in a folder titled MyMeas inside the MPD folder.

Is that what I need to duplicate on my Vista machine?
can I just drag & drop or do I have to do it another way?
Can I just install them in Dress Shop & then import to MPD (would it be easier?)

posted Hide Post
Got a teenager in the area?

sigh Im nto sure if this will work in exactly the same manner.

Install and activate both programs. restart. open each one at a time and bring up a standard chart, save it with any name you like such as test.

You now should have a measurement file that you can overwrite in each program.

close the programs
open you stick drive
locate your saved my ds measurements
find the program under whatever path they are attached to such as
c
program files
livingsoft
etc
locate the my ds measurement txt file
copy from stick drive to that file

repeat with mpd using the mpd mymeasurement file

close the stick drive and safe to remove function

open mpd go to size load measurements and see if yoru charts appear

close and repeat with ds

thats as best I can say what I did that worked for me.

Good luck
Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

posted Hide Post
Thanks Kaaren, I think I can do that.

I just need to uninstall & reinstall b/c I have some bad pathways built in my present copies.

Is everything Ok with Peggy Sue? She's usually very prompt with help & I know she was having family issues earlier?

I'm not stubborn Roll Eyes just determined.

I'm usually not shy about uninstalling either but I know other people have had problems in the past & I don't want to make anymore of a mess than I all ready have. Razzer

Thanks again

If I don't hear from Peggy Sue I'll probably just try uninstalling myself. (I didn't mean that like it sounded How would you uninstall yourself? Don't answer that!)

posted Hide Post
Although I no longer use dress shop (switched to MPD), I do review the dress shop topics once in a while and thought I should pass on the info I received from Peggy Sue last week about MPD/Vista.

She told me that there is no way to transfer either saved patterns (those purchased patterns that we have made changes to and saved with a new name) or measurement charts from MPD to a vista computer.

You need to re-input both measurement charts and patterns.

So it's very important to keep paper copies of both measuremnt charts and patterns. The measurement charts are easy. But for patterns, I find it easier to keep the 1/4" printouts, since they have more complete and accurate information.

Peggy Sue also mentioned that she was leaving on holidays.

Posts: 473 | Registered: 11 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"there is no way to transfer either saved patterns (those purchased patterns that we have made changes to and saved with a new name) or measurement charts from MPD to a vista computer.

You need to re-input both measurement charts and patterns."

So far, that is the only accurate way I have found to get files for both DS and MPD into Vista and actually have the program read them.

Warmest regards,
PeggySue
LivingsoftNW Support

My holiday was spending the weekend in Oregon with 5 grandbabies that I hadn't seen in 4 years. Big Grin

Posts: 2 | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post