Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Surplice Top
 Login/Join

posted
I tried to draft the casual surplice top and the back pattern piece drafts with a low scooped neck. Is this correct. I tried to adjust it with the neck tool by setting it to a jewel neck for the back piece, but it didi not change. I am using Dress Shop Pro 7. I have made other blouses without a problem.

Thanks,

Donna

Posts: 5 | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I tried to draft the casual surplice top and the back pattern piece drafts with a low scooped neck. Is this correct. I tried to adjust it with the neck tool by setting it to a jewel neck for the back piece, but it didi not change. I am using Dress Shop Pro 7. I have made other blouses without a problem.

I just checked in my DS version: casual surplice blouse, then neck tool and the back neck depth does change the depth but not the width as it supposed to, in order to change the width you also need to use the neck width button- changing to width changes the neck width front and back. You may also enter what ever numbers you wish or accept the pre-set values.

Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kaaren,

Regardless of any size, when I try to draft the casual surplice i get a back that has a very low scooped back. About 6 inches above the waist. If I try to raise the back with the neck tool, I end up with a back that looks like it has a sort of crotch seam. I don't think that is right. I have used the fitted shell and made other tops and the back is fine. I don't understand what is going on. I used standart sizes and got the same thing. I used a friends measurements and again i got the same thing.

Donna

posted Hide Post
How are you raising the back neck?
This is what I did and got the results I expected:
click neck tool
place cursor in back neck bopx you will several several choices including jewel- scoop etc each has a preset depth. Click jewel raises the back neck depth to jewel depth in my case about 1/2 inch... This is still set to scoop width so under that box is neck width, enter a lower number or click one of the presets like jewel.This will adjust both front and back neck width but wont change front neck depth.

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had that problem too, and I thought I reported it. In DS7 Pro, Casual Blouse, Surplice. That back drafts almost as low as the lowest point of the surplice.
Anya

Posts: 63 | Registered: 23 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It makes no difference what I do the back still drafts almost as low as the front. if I try to raise it with the neck tool the scoop is just narrower.but just a s long. As i said eariler it is almost shaped like the crotch of a pair of pants. I think I may re-download the program and see if there is something in my copy that is corrupted.

Donna

Donna

posted Hide Post
Kaaren, I loaded the casual surplice top and it came up just like I would sew it out. Donna, please excuse this question if it seems out of order, but, are you sure you are looking at the correct pieces? The front piece does resemble a crotch curve. Make sure your bust dart is on the piece ( front ) that looks like a crotch curve. The back piece, on the right side of my screen, is the one with the jewel neck. Again, this might seem like an elementary observation, but I know from experience that looking at something is not always what you see.
Kelly

Posts: 272 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Board Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Kaaren, I loaded the casual surplice top and it came up just like I would sew it out. ... The back piece, on the right side of my screen, is the one with the jewel neck.

I also am seeing a back jewel neckline on that pattern, adjustable with the neck tools. There was another rather basic question that was not asked yet - are you both running the same version of Dress Shop? From Kelly's signature, she appears to be running Dress Shop 7. Is Donna also running that version?

Board Administrator, Dress Shop App

Posts: 1868 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
According to the original post, she is running 7Pro

Posts: 272 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I see what you are getting at Kelly and it is a very good point. Maybe its best to offer a description so everyone has a better idea of what to expect.

It is in fact a front wrap top with an extension expected to reach the opposite side seam. This top is ideal for stretch fabrics just enter your stretch amount in the fit/ease tool.

The design default for the casual surplice front is a casual fit, and for the neck depth ( where the two fronts cross ) at just above the bust reference lines but the extension for the wrap is shaped to curve lower to the true underbust level.(That's the difference between wrap and surplice wrap has a direct angled line to side seam). This does look a little like a crotch curve on front if you squint a bit.ggggg

You can certainly change the height of the neck depth- for instance change the front neck depth to 10 and then 18 and see the changes. Adjust as desired.

You may also adjust the back neck depth from the current scoop level by entering a 1 inch the back neck the level rises to just slightly deeper than standard fit jewel.

The neck opening width may also be adjusted to a preset level jewel scoop etc by selecting one and clicking redraft - by using the numbers shown you can micro tune your design. In general the narrower the width the higher the fronts will "cross" at center.

Do use the reference lines as landmarks when designing And print 1/4 scales as you work yoru design so that you can overlay them and see all the changes as you design them.

Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

Board Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
According to the original post, she is running 7Pro

Sorry I missed that. I played with that pattern some more and may have found the problem here. If you are viewing the patterns in either left side view or right side view, the back pattern piece appears properly, with the high jewel neckline. If you select "View - Both Sides (unfolded)", you get an incorrect back pattern piece. This blouse has a front pattern piece that is already unfolded and the unfolded display option appears to get confused in that case.

We'll add that issue to the work list. But, for now, just select a left side or right side view and the back pattern piece should draft properly.

Board Administrator, Dress Shop App

Posts: 1868 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the problem with the causal surplice may be tht i have something corrupted within the program itself. Yes, it is the back piece on the fold. I installed Pro 7 on my laptop and it showed the back neck correct. Now can i jusr re-install over the existing program or what?

Donna