Dress Shop Home Page    livingsoftnw.groupee.net    Discussion List  Hop To Forum Categories  Dress Shop App  Hop To Forums  Dress Shop Topics    getting activation codes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

getting activation codes
 Login/Join

posted
Hello, I have been away from Dressshop for a while and have only just done the upgrade to version 7, now the problem is I am unable to get the activation codes from the menue Help/get codes from the web. Internet explorer just keeps closing down, tried it with Firefox, but it keeps opening Internet Explorer and closes down again.

I then type in the code for version 7 the programme takes it, but then I would have to type in all the rest of my codes. Then when I reopen Dresshop it reverts to version 5.3.

I have sent an email to Livingsoft but had no response at all so I am hopeing I can get an answer here.

I was using Internet Explorer 6 thought if I upgraded to ver 7 it would fix, however no such luck still the same problem

So, I have internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP with service pack 2, will all current updates

Hope I can get a answer on this problem

thanks Jeanette

Posts: 13 | Registered: 15 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Board Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hello, I have been away from Dressshop for a while and have only just done the upgrade to version 7, now the problem is I am unable to get the activation codes from the menue Help/get codes from the web. Internet explorer just keeps closing down, tried it with Firefox, but it keeps opening Internet Explorer and closes down again.

The auto-activate feature requires Dress Shop to connect to the Livingsoft web site to get your activation codes. You must:

1. Have an active Internet connection available when you use this feature. Dialup connections, for instance, might require you to log into some web page before you use the auto-activation from Dress Shop.

2. Not have any security software (virus checker, fire wall, etc.) that would prevent an application on your computer from connecting to the Internet. You may need to disable fire walls or virus checkers while doing the auto-activate if you cannot figure out how to instruct them to allow Dress Shop to connect to the Internet.

All I can think of...

Board Administrator, Dress Shop App

Posts: 1868 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi, thanks for that information, I had allready taken all that into account.

Internet explorer tries to get the codes and then just gives a message that Internet Explorer has to close down.

thanks anyway, hopefully Livingsoft will eventually take the time to answer my email

posted Hide Post
Where did you send your request? It has not coem in to me as of yet.

Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Board Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
hopefully Livingsoft will eventually take the time to answer my email

Couple of notes....

1. As Kaaren Hoback's note suggests, your attempt to contact Livingsoft did not get to anyone there that provides answers, so you should not expect one. There are links on the web site for contacting support and there are ohter links that go the Livingsoft bookkeeper, the newsletter mailing service, and the web site and customer database programmer. None of those contact points can provide support or service advice.

2. When a question is asked both by direct email and on the forum and it is a question that might be of interest to others, we try to answer it on the forum, where others will see the answer. The postings in this thread from Board Administrator and from Kaaren Hoback are the only contacts at Livingsoft that provide support or service advice, so you have already heard from anyone you might ever hear from.

3. When a question is asked that we have no idea about (such as yours, which has never been reported by any other customer), we also prefer to have those discussed on the forum, where the advice of other customers (who may have solved similar issues on their own systems) might chip in.

So, I hope you will not put off figuring out what is wrong on your system while you wait for a reply that is not coming. What you see here is all we have. Sorry....

Posts: 1868 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jenny61:

I then type in the code for version 7 the programme takes it, but then I would have to type in all the rest of my codes. Then when I reopen Dresshop it reverts to version 5.3.

I have sent an email to Livingsoft but had no response at all so I am hopeing I can get an answer here.

I was using Internet Explorer 6 thought if I upgraded to ver 7 it would fix, however no such luck still the same problem

So, I have internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP with service pack 2, will all current updates

Hope I can get a answer on this problem

thanks Jeanette
I have the same as you winxp and IE7 did you update to the service pack3?this may be your problem its called silver lite!go to microsoft website and check for any new updates there,plus go to IE page and download the silver lite service pack 3 as known.HTH Smiler if not then it could be a bug in your system or bad download somewhere.NOT a techy person you understand here GGGG.Good luck with it Jenny.

Posts: 1535 | Location: Ontario. Canada | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well Kaaren, I sent a problem report via the help menue from within Dress Shop, one would have thought if the option was there then that would be where to send it.
Obviously not !!!! still do not have an answer to the problem. Also, I have brought the subject up here as well otherwise you would not have know to answer my post.

Also,the programme still keeps resetting to 5.35 when I close it down.

Now, I redownloaded my My pattern Designer and I have no problems getting my codes from that web site, it is only a problem Livingsoft - dressshop, which leads me to believe that there is actually a problem with Livingsoft customer account login, maybe it is just my account that has the problem.

Like I said before, I have tried it on my laptop with Vista 64bit, my husbands Desketop with XP pro, my Desktop with XP pro, my daughters Laptop with Vista 32bit and her desktop with XP pro, so it certainly can not be a computer problem. And yes virus software disabled before download and while installing.

quote:
Originally posted by Board Administrator:
[QUOTE] Hello, I have been away from Dressshop for a while and have only just done the upgrade to version 7, now the problem is I am unable to get the activation codes from the menue Help/get codes from the web. Internet explorer just keeps closing down, tried it with Firefox, but it keeps opening Internet Explorer and closes down again.

The auto-activate feature requires Dress Shop to connect to the Livingsoft web site to get your activation codes. You must:

1. Have an active Internet connection available

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jenny61:
Well Kaaren, I sent a problem report via the help menue from within Dress Shop, one would have thought if the option was there then that would be where to send it.
Obviously not !!!! still do not have an answer to the problem. Also, I have brought the subject up here as well otherwise you would not have know to answer my post.

Also,the programme still keeps resetting to 5.35 when I close it down.

Now, I redownloaded my My pattern Designer and I have no problems getting my codes from that web site, it is only a problem Livingsoft - dressshop, which leads me to believe that there is actually a problem with Livingsoft customer account login, maybe it is just my account that has the problem.

Like I said before, I have tried it on my laptop with Vista 64bit, my husbands Desketop with XP pro, my Desktop with XP pro, my daughters Laptop with Vista 32bit and her desktop with XP pro, so it certainly can not be a computer problem. And yes virus software disabled before download and while installing.

quote:
Originally posted by Board Administrator:
[QUOTE] Hello, I have been away from Dressshop for a while and have only just done the upgrade to version 7, now the problem is I am unable to get the activation codes from the menue Help/get codes from the web. Internet explorer just keeps closing down, tried it with Firefox, but it keeps opening Internet Explorer and closes down again.

1. Have an active Internet connection available
This is along shot but perhaps its the Firefox causing the problems,I tried using firefox a while ago and it played havoc with all my P. C.So I had to go back to IE7 works fine with that.Check that you log in first then try again,clean out the files defragg etc,just a wild guess here but sometimtes we over look the obvious things eh?Smiler

Posts: 1535 | Location: Ontario. Canada | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Jenny- I do MPD support and Bob does Dress Shop support which does connect to a new Reports page from what was published back several years ago which may have been what your program links to if the cd is old enough.

You really need to update ( free) the latest full family download to get a link to current reports.
http://www.livingsoftnw.com then click on the downloads page.

Please note the nw after livingsoft- thats a "new email" that is several years old now.

Find livingsoft support at

support1 @ livingsoftnw.com (without the spaces)

The link to Help>On the web> retrieve activation codes was also updated at the same time the support email was changed.

We cant help if we dont get the emails and reports.

btw - I always sign as patrns4u, or Kaaren even if I am signed in as board administrator- if there is no name then the response is coming from either Bob or Craig.

Kaaren

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dress Shop,

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Board Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hi Jenny- I do MPD support and Bob does Dress Shop support which does connect to a new Reports page from what was published back several years ago which may have been what your program links to if the cd is old enough.

You really need to update ( free) the latest full family download to get a link to current reports.
http://www.livingsoftnw.com then click on the downloads page.

Jenny61 does have the current update. Last month, we finally got a single master built that could support Dress Shop 5, DS6, and DS7 in a single download file again. For Dress Shop 7 users, it should be version 7.04. Dress Shop 6 users will see 6.22 and Dress Shop 5 users will see version 5.35. And, if no valid activation code has been entered at all, it will show version 5.35, which is what Jenny is seeing. That just means that no codes got entered.

I also have not received a problem report from Jenny any time recently. So, it suggests that your Dress Shop program is not able to contact the Internet for some reason. Both Dress Shop and MPD contract with the same online server for web services, including activations and problem reports. So, it is not a failure at the Livingsoft end if MPD works and Dress Shop does not. Something about your Dress Shop installation or the computer it is running on is not working. And, equally unfortunately, there are many possibilities there that we will need to wade through if what I have written here does not suggest a fix to you.

So, if you cannot get Dress Shop to send a problem report successfully, please contact me directly at reports @ LivingsoftNW.com (remove the spaces - they are necessary to prevent auto-harvesting of email addresses) and we'll work through it together.

Congratulations, by the way, customer number 38! You've been with Dress Shop since the very beginning, I see. Lots of changes over those years.... ;-)

posted Hide Post
Hi and thanks for your information, havn't heard about silver lite, will check that out.

About a bad download, I have downloaded this so many times I can't remember, I have tried it on no less than 6 computers, 3 desktops and 3 laptops all with the same results.

Just wiped my hard drive on my Laptop,it has Vista 64 bit did another download after turning off virus protection, no other software on the hard drive, so nothing there could be causing the problem, no stray Dlls or anything a clean registry and still the same problem. Also, all our computers are set to auto update so any updates should be done automatically.

I have received a communication from Bob, and he gave me some suggestions, up until now nothing has worked. so I am back to square one, still trying, thanks anyway, but I will check out that Silver Lite

Jeanette

thanks Jeanette[/QUOTE]I have the same as you winxp and IE7 did you update to the service pack3?this may be your problem its called silver lite!go to microsoft website and check for any new updates there,plus go to IE page and download the silver lite service pack 3 as known.HTH Smiler if not then it could be a bug in your system or bad download somewhere.NOT a techy person you understand here GGGG.Good luck with it Jenny.[/QUOTE]