Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Skirtini ease
 Login/Join

posted
I just put together a skirtini using left over fabric from a swimsuit years ago. The pants fit great BUT the skirt is very tight and pulls up all around. Yes, I did match the fronts & the backs and I double checked to make sure. Is there a way to make the skirt more flared/circular? Hoping someone can help me. Meanwhile I'm going to poke around in the program a bit.

Posts: 61 | Registered: 22 May 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well the question revolves around the fabrics stretch factor and how much of it you used.

For fabrics with 100+% stretch for swim we would use 80% H.

BUT 0 Vert for the skirt as it doesnt have and hold it open point at top n bottom.

If you actual allowable stretch was less than 100% I would reduce the ease on the skirt only to 60%.

Even at just 100% I would print the top and panty portion at 80% with the vertical 40 and then for the skirt, before printing change stretch to 50 or 60% then print.

Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kaaren, I tried what you said and I also added 4" of ease in the ab and 6" of ease in the hip. This helped a lot but now the skirt pulls up in the back. I'm going to add even more ease & also about 2" in the front & back waist & lightly gather the skirt before I attach it to the pants. Hopefully this will work. I can see I need to learn a lot about pattern making - even though I consider myself a semi-pro in sewing. Roll Eyes Do any of the previous online classes address problems with fit? Can I log-on to to the classroom & go back to view past classes? I haven't had time to check that out yet. Also - one more question- in the size chart I can choose missses or woman for body type - how do I know which one I should use? When I buy clothing in stores, I usually can wear a large depending on the manufactureer. When I make a pattern (was usually Simplicity in the past) I would make a size 16. Thanks for all your great help!

Posts: 61 | Registered: 22 May 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post