New
Find
Notify
Tools

New User Dilemma
 Login/Join

<patpan>
posted
Hello - my name is Pat and I'm new to this software and also this board - right now I'm trying to find my way around the software and when I look at the chart that tells you what is included in the Dress Shop Standard - it says there are 116 dresses and jumpers - I can only find 20 - can someone tell me where the others are hiding?? Also, isn't there a place where I can see drawings of all the patterns that are supposed to be included with the original program - not having any luck finding those either.
patpan

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hello - my name is Pat and I'm new to this software and also this board - right now I'm trying to find my way around the software and when I look at the chart that tells you what is included in the Dress Shop Standard - it says there are 116 dresses and jumpers - I can only find 20 - can someone tell me where the others are hiding?? Also, isn't there a place where I can see drawings of all the patterns that are supposed to be included with the original program - not having any luck finding those either.

Hello Pat,

The menus were getting out of hand when we tried to list every pattern there. So, many got moved to the "Mia" menus. For instance, when you choose a Two-Piece Dress such as the Fitted Top dress, there is an area on Mia labeled "Skirt Type". There you can find gore skirts, tiered skirts, flared, gathered, pegged, box pleat, etc.

I don't know if that will account for all of your missing patterns, but start there and see where you are.

Pictures of each? Mia illustrates each pattern that you select. There is no other place that has the 700+ pictures of the default patterns. Each of those has several thousand variations (neckline changes, length changes, sleeve changes, etc.). The number of pictures is too ridiculously high to put anywhere else than in the program. Mia can show them all, though...

DressShopBob
(Bob Clardy)

Posts: 718 | Registered: 18 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Patpan, it's a different way of approaching a design, and it takes some getting used to. I too was more comfortable with a bunch of pictures and I could say "yes, this one".

Something that has helped - I browse through pattern magazines, or pattern sites on line, and so I can "see" my options and then go back to dress shop and 'choose" them - except that I mostly use mpd now, but you get the idea.

Hang in there. And by the way, I find that there's lots of help here at the discussion forum, not just from other users, but the dress shop folk are prompt and helpful in responding to posts. And many of us learn from others questions, so please ask.

Posts: 473 | Registered: 11 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome patpan.It is a whole new ball game for some of us,when I first got my program, I was overwhelmed at first,just play with it, use the demo if need be,there will be classes soon for newbies, Kaaren teaches them.

Posts: 1535 | Location: Ontario. Canada | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
HI Pat,
DS standard patterns are depicted as you select the pattern on the model "Mia" on the upper left hand side of the screen. These artists renditions are limited. The pattern appears to the right of the model.

There are 152 possible patterns in the standard version. Each pattern having multiple possibilities not only in neck line type, sleeve type, length, and often fit levels.

Let me give you an example. Under blouses select the "shell" it can be a pull over top with short sleeves and go to ease enter a stretch factor and make it from an interlock or jersey knit or it can have a button front placket and collar with a shirt tail finish and add a little ease for a flowing silky blouse.

Select the pattern from the Pattern menu then on Mia select which elements you desire as to neck type such as jewel, square, sweetheart etc adjust the neck depth and width to your personal presferences then choose the sleeve type straight or darted, length cap short elbow 3/4 or full with or without a cuff then the collar you want and have a wide assortment to choose from.

Take a tour of the pattern menu there are 20 varieties of dress silhouettes available and you have multiple choices for each as to length flare, ease, neckline and sleeve selections and DS Standard is one of our smallest programs.

We didnt do a "art" catalog of each pattern as each pattern could have so many choices from the "options" available on Mia.

Yopu will find a complete pattern list fo what is available at:

patterns
Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
We didnt do a "art" catalog of each pattern as each pattern could have so many choices from the "options" available on Mia.

I have occasionally tried to illustrate every pattern in a single Dress Shop collection. The closest that we have come are the pattern packet pictures that you can see on the web site from pages like this one:

Pattern Packet 1019

But, trying to show what is included in even a single Dress Shop pattern is just not practical. These patterns are not like what you can buy from a paper pattern company. Those have few enough choices that they can illustrate all of them on the packet. Dress Shop patterns have too many options to do that. I once started an overview picture for a single pattern, but could not finish it. There were just too many combinations. But, here is a bit of it to give you an idea...

Two-Piece Dress Illustration

DressShopBob
(Bob Clardy)

Posts: 718 | Registered: 18 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<patpan>
posted
I want to thank you all for the help in getting me started - I have been working on this all day while nursing an abscessed tooth - yuk !! I have created the look I want for my granddaughters but so far have only been able to do that in a two piece dress and I want it to be one piece - in the program in the drop down menu for Other patterns - there are two packs listed that are exactly what I'm looking for but I can't find them for sale - #1014 and # 1015 - is there anyway I can get these??
Thanks - patpan

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Board Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
I want to thank you all for the help in getting me started - I have been working on this all day while nursing an abscessed tooth - yuk !! I have created the look I want for my granddaughters but so far have only been able to do that in a two piece dress and I want it to be one piece - in the program in the drop down menu for Other patterns - there are two packs listed that are exactly what I'm looking for but I can't find them for sale - #1014 and # 1015 - is there anyway I can get these??

I'm afraid that "More Patterns" display is a bit out of date. Those patterns all still exist. But, many were incorporated into either Dress Shop Standard or Dress Shop Pro and are no longer available as separate pattern packets.

Since you own Dress Shop Standard, you should be able to find many of those patterns in the Dress - Two-Piece Dress menu. If the one you want is not there, then I'm afraid it is now a part of Dress Shop Pro.

Here is the list of which patterns come with each of those products. If the one you are looking for is in Dress Shop Pro, then I'm afraid that is the only place you can get it just now.

Patterns in Standard and Pro

All pattern packets that are available now can be found in the list of packets on this page:

Pattern Packets

Board Administrator, Dress Shop App

Posts: 1868 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Pat,
Did you get your answer to the printing dilemma you emailed me about? If not post your question here, Peggy Sue - Support or Kaaren-Designer can help answer it quite possibly.
Let me know if you need any more help.
Bobbi Jo

Posts: 7 | Location: Jefferson City, MO | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post