Dress Shop Home Page    livingsoftnw.groupee.net    Discussion List  Hop To Forum Categories  Dress Shop App  Hop To Forums  Dress Shop Topics    I forgot what it is called
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I forgot what it is called
 Login/Join

posted
I have seen a fabric gathering technique that forms a pretty design by drawing a grid of 1 to 2 inch squares on the back of a piece of fabric then using needle and thread to pull diagonally opposite corners of the grid together. I hope this is a clear enough description. I think it is a form of pleating but it is not smocking. Can anyone tell me what it is called?

Thanks,
Pat

Posts: 113 | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My sister sent me that pattern years ago,by which she took a class in the UK on how to make this pillow method,I beleive it was called Ruching.I never did try it though.

Posts: 1535 | Location: Ontario. Canada | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
THere are may versions of smocking including forming geometric patterns,or picture smocking, pleating, smocking, shirring, tucking, pin tucks,ruching all have a similiar basis. To draw fabric up via thread into a variety of designs.

Some seeminlgy random, others very precisely set stitch points. Shibori-A Japanese Art form is first pleated,then surface dyed on the top of the pleats, and steamed to set.

Each of the above terms have many books written on the topic.

Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello,

I've been looking for this pattern for you & I only found a picture of what I was going to make one day. I have a pattern somewhere if I didn't pitch it out.
Try this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/GORGEOUS-S...?hash=item2ea83b121e

Bobbieann

Posts: 228 | Location: Somewhere, Arkansas | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow thats very intriquet Bobbieann thanks for sharing with us.Smiler

Posts: 1535 | Location: Ontario. Canada | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks. The particular pattern I'm looking for I saw once on the midriff of a medieval dress. It formed multiple layered squares/diamonds (half of them in one layer with the other layer showing in between them). I'm involved in a wedding dress for one of my sisters and thought it would add a wonderful touch to it as well as give me a place to hide the hooks for a detachable train.

Thanks
Pat

posted Hide Post
Oh Mr. Pat, wish I could help you find this.. Would love to see pictures when you have finished! Have you tried Collette Wolf's book " Manipulating Fabric"? She documents 100's of ways to manipulate fabric, all done in black and white pictures using muslin. Fabulous! I saw a copy recently in Hancocks, but I'm sure Amazon's or Borders could get it for you.
Good luck!

jann

Posts: 43 | Registered: 02 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr Pat - you are so talented! You do need to send pictures. I have The Art of Manipulating Fabric by Colette Wolff. I don't see a 2 layer manipulation but I may be missing it. In any case this book is totally amazing and if you don't find exactly what you want, you will probably find something else that will work. Let us know how you make out.

Posts: 26 | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the book information. I may have to use a different idea because I have a time constraint and two other pieces to make for the same wedding. I will get the book ordered though because the blurb on Amazon shows that it can be really useful.

Pat