Dress Shop Home Page    livingsoftnw.groupee.net    Discussion List  Hop To Forum Categories  Dress Shop App  Hop To Forums  Dress Shop Topics    Software vs Computer question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Software vs Computer question
 Login/Join

posted
I am the proud owner of a new Dell Inspiron 6000(widescreen) with XPHome. My old laptop(regular screen) has Windows 98. After installing 6.14+patch, I noticed that the print size on the new computer was so tiny I could hardly read it. I went to Control Panel and changed the font size to extra large. It made no difference. To check things, I loaded 6.14+ to the old laptop and the printing was fine. This indicates to me that the new widescreen is what makes the difference. As that is the wave of the future, is there any way I can change the software to fit my screen now? As an intermediate level user, I don't where else to look. Thanks, Kelly

Posts: 272 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try changing font size in Internet Explorer.

Posts: 10 | Registered: 20 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KellyLoftice:
I am the proud owner of a new Dell Inspiron 6000(widescreen) with XPHome. (snip) is there any way I can change the software to fit my screen now? As an intermediate level user, I don't where else to look.
On your computer, go to Start, Help and Support, and see the various options on screen. See which one might apply, if none do, then type in Display Settings in the Search box on that screen. That will bring up other helpful articles and help you get acquainted with your new computer.

I prefer leaving WinXP font and screen settings at default because any change affects all programs used on your computer. Because Dress Shop is displayed within the Microsoft Internet Explorer browser environment, I test font size changes in IE (IE, View, Text Size) to see how they affect DS. My IE font size is presently set at "smaller" and that works best for me on my 1024x768 monitor. You might try "medium" to see if it works for you. Open DS after you've made the change to make sure any change has had a chance to register.

Posts: 221 | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Printing on a new wide screen.
Its very possible that you display set up in control panel is set to a huge number of pixels.

For optimal use try changeing the settign to 1024/768 or 12xx over 8xx, under font select 96dpi or normal or standard whichever that says.

Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KellyLoftice:
I am the proud owner of a new Dell Inspiron 6000(widescreen) with XPHome. My old laptop(regular screen) has Windows 98. After installing 6.14+patch, I noticed that the print size on the new computer was so tiny I could hardly read it. I went to Control Panel and changed the font size to extra large. It made no difference. To check things, I loaded 6.14+ to the old laptop and the printing was fine. This indicates to me that the new widescreen is what makes the difference. As that is the wave of the future, is there any way I can change the software to fit my screen now? As an intermediate level user, I don't where else to look. Thanks, Kelly
Kelly, would you please clarify "I loaded 6.14+ to the old laptop and the printing was fine." Do you mean the font display was fine, or the printed page was fine on your old laptop? I took you to mean you were only discussing the screen display and font settings, not the printing outcome. Thanks. Diane Day

Posts: 221 | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Diane, I am referring to the type on the screen when I call up a pattern. Changing the font size from the Control Panel doesn't get into the DS software. I found the way to change the resolution on the computer itself and it helped and hindered. I lowered the resolution and the type on the pattern screen was better. The cutting lines were a little wonky, but I can live with that. Thanks to all for helping!!

Posts: 272 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kelly,
Did you get this fixed yet?
If not, let me know. I too have a laptop/desktop with a 17" screen and I think I changed the resolution like Kaaren recommended. I can double check this with my husband if you still need more info.

I love my larger screen. The only difference is in the print mode for full size printing, you see more than one page width at a time and you have to look for the registration marks to see where the page ends. Other than that, everything else is the same, once you get the screen resolution solved.
Let me know if you need more help.
LindaF

Posts: 139 | Location: New York | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Linda,
I contacted Dell and the techie suggested I not only change the resolution but the dpi also. I did that and it is good enough for me. I just am not a fan of the widescreen as it distorts everything. We gave my mom a 51" TV for her birthday and she loves it. It makes me dizzy! I will have to get used to the differences. Thanks for helping, Kelly

posted Hide Post
Hi Kelly,
I am glad that Dell could help. I get no distortion on my computer, but I know what you mean about those big screen TVs!

I also got terrible distortion on my wide screen when I first got it and hubby changed something. I'll ask him and report it back to you later tonight. Maybe it can get rid of all of your distortion too.
LindaF

Posts: 139 | Location: New York | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post