Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Elastic waist pants
 Login/Join

posted
Hello, I love elastic waist pants and have made many pairs! But I would like to copy some styles I have purchased that don't have much bulk around the abdomen...maybe they're called flat front pants? They have an elastic waist, but it doesn't gather & pucker very much, which creates a somewhat slimmer look. Any suggestions on how I can re-create this look? Thank you!

Michelle G.
MPD 3.05 Pro
Dress Shop Pro 9.08
Windows 7

Posts: 62 | Registered: 09 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been lurking for a long time, but this one caught my eye.

There are a couple ways to do this. One is to make flat front pants. That will work well for some people. My body is very curvy, so that style isn't the best for me.

Another way is to make fitted pants, with darts. Sew in the darts and add elastic. You have to check to make sure that the fabric will stretch enough to go over your widest measurement. If not, sew the darts a little narrower and/or adjust a bit at the side seams. All you need is enough fabric to wiggle into the pants. This is my favorite method for knits. There is no extra bulk at the waist, yet you have the comfort of an elastic waist.

Posts: 190 | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michelle G.:
Hello, I love elastic waist pants and have made many pairs! But I would like to copy some styles I have purchased that don't have much bulk around the abdomen...maybe they're called flat front pants? They have an elastic waist, but it doesn't gather & pucker very much, which creates a somewhat slimmer look. Any suggestions on how I can re-create this look? Thank you!
How about if you make the front normal,then add to the center back waist dart, enough to get your body in the space./adding extra ease. Smiler

Posts: 1535 | Location: Ontario. Canada | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Michelle,When I am doing elastic waist pants I make a dart at the sideseams wide enough to allow me to pull the pants up over my widest bits. This reduces the amount at the waist by a considerable amount
Marge UK

Posts: 237 | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post