Dress Shop Home Page    livingsoftnw.groupee.net    Discussion List  Hop To Forum Categories  Dress Shop App  Hop To Forums  Dress Shop Topics    Testing sleeve cap ease
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Testing sleeve cap ease
 Login/Join

posted
I asked this question under the topic of sleeve cap ease and why, but wanted to move it here so that the prior topic could continue on track.

I have not made a jacket, yet...it is on my list. I have enough boucle to fill a whole shelf and not one jacket made as of yet.

I agree with you that Kaaren's post gives us alot to think about. And because I value Kaaren's opinion also, I will start with 1.25" ease on a jacket muslin and see how that works. But that brings up another point/question. If you test a jacket pattern in muslin and have problem fitting in that amount of ease, won't it be different for the actual fabric that you are using. Would it be better to test the real fabric for ease, and how do you do that?

Linda

Posts: 139 | Location: New York | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I make a muslin, I usually try to match the "muslin" fabric to the garment fabric as closely as possible with regard to weight, hand, stretch, and other pertinent data. Otherwise the muslin is much less informative as to fit and ease etc.

Posts: 67 | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LindaF: If you test a jacket pattern in muslin and have problem fitting in that amount of ease, won't it be different for the actual fabric that you are using. Would it be better to test the real fabric for ease, and how do you do that?

Hi Linda .. this is where words & semantics either makes things clear or clear as mud. lol

Muslin means a test garment OR
Muslin means a particular fabric
And sometimes muslins are made from muslin Roll Eyes

How about ... make a "Test Garment" instead of a muslin ... and this is where the $1/$2 table if you can find one is invaluable. Try to find a fabric with similar properties to your final garment. Even if you have to go to Hancocks (if you have one) for the short-ends table. If they have little pieces of say the "same" fabric but in different colors ... the fit of the garment will be the same even if the front is green, the back is blue, and the sleeves are red ... lol

or if you have lots of fabric to spare you could try cutting only the pieces surrounding the armhole and setting a short sleeve into it to see how it behaves. Then you know for sure but haven't "wasted" an entire front or an entire sleeve's worth of fabric.

JMHO

DSPro 6.14 (w/patch a) ... Fashion Designer 1&2, Fit Tool, Princess Designer
Activewear II, Spring/Summer 2005, Illusions, Ultimate Outerwear, Ultimate Pants
Add-Ons 1-14, Pattern Sets 1044-46, 1049-52
Windows XP

Posts: 126 | Location: Ohio, USA | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Gayle,
Good point about the muslin. When I said muslin test, I was talking muslin fabric. I usually go buy a bolt of muslin from JoAnn's and use that for my test fabric. I am quickly learning from this very knowledgeable group that I should match weight for weight if I am going to venture into the jacket/coat area of sewing.

I have a bunch of fabrics in different weights for jackets that I have been collecting since spring to make fall jackets. Now fall is here and the fabric has not sewn itself, so I have do it. Putting the computer, sewing machine and fabric in the same room and wishing for jackets has not worked.

JoAnn has their clearance fabric pile and that is the only place I have to choose from here. I did see some 100% silk boucle for 3.00 a yard that is the same weight as one of my stash fabrics, but in a not so lovely color combination, probably why it was in clearance.

I like the idea of making the pieces surrounding the area of the sleeve. Hmm.....looks like I have another reason to go fabric shopping.
Linda

Posts: 139 | Location: New York | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post