Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ao Dai
 Login/Join

posted
I thought you all might be interested in this.

Another teacher is celebrating his 40th aniversary soon. He is married to a Vietnamese woman and he wanted to give her a traditional Ao Dai as a gift for a cruise they are planning. He asked me if DS could be used to produce such an outfit. I had to do some research to find out what an Ao Dai was first and was able to tell him yes but if he wanted it to be a surprise there could be a problem.

The Ao Dai is a 2 piece dress and pants outfit. the top is tailored to fit the body closely and the pants are tailored to fit like fitted pants but the legs are very wide at floor level. The Ao Dai it seems is usually made from silk.

I have included a link here so you can see this beautiful style of clothing for yourselves.

http://www.vietvoice.net/aodai/0.html

The gentleman hasn't gotten back to me about whether he wants me to make one for his wife or not. He may not want another man measuring his wife. Wink

Posts: 113 | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pat thats a lovely idea,proud that you want to take on the challenge too!it shouldn't be difficult to do really, we have all the tools we need for something like that.How nice her husband, would want to give her a suprize of a new outfit.SmilerGo for it Pat we know you can do it.

M.P.D4.Pro.MPD Tools
Collections-Spring- Summer-Fall- Winter-Jeans Machine.
Windows7Home Prem. IE10

Posts: 1535 | Location: Ontario. Canada | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hopefully her husband isn't too secretive or concerned about my measuring her because I won't attempt this unless I have slopered first. If you checked out the photos then you saw how close the Ao Dai fits.
Bye
Pat

posted Hide Post
Pat they are very form fitting indeed.Are you planning an embriodery on the outfit at all?when you first mentioned the outfit,I thought they were called chong sam,I guess thats more chinese though.

M.P.D4.Pro.MPD Tools
Collections-Spring- Summer-Fall- Winter-Jeans Machine.
Windows7Home Prem. IE10

Posts: 1535 | Location: Ontario. Canada | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pat, Folk Wear patterns have an Ao Dai pattern in their collection. If you can get measurements, make a sloper and get a decent fit, the pattern would give you details and sewing instructions.

AliceM DS Educator
DS6.14 Pro, MPD with everything else. WinXP, HP3050 color laser printer

Posts: 36 | Location: Ocean Park, WA | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This design was originally from China. One of the dynasty emporers dictated that all of his people men and women had to wear the Ao Dai/Chong Sam. the original top also had set on sleeves rather than raglin sleeves. The current style came about when Americans and Europeans intruded intotheir countries.
Bye
Pat

quote:
Originally posted by Llantrisant:
Pat they are very form fitting indeed.Are you planning an embriodery on the outfit at all?when you first mentioned the outfit,I thought they were called chong sam,I guess thats more chinese though.

posted Hide Post
I saw a pattern on Denver fabrics web page also. I have seen an Ao Dai up close so I have a fair idea about how to make it.
Bye
Pat

quote:
Originally posted by Alice McGlothin:
Pat, Folk Wear patterns have an Ao Dai pattern in their collection. If you can get measurements, make a sloper and get a decent fit, the pattern would give you details and sewing instructions.

posted Hide Post
Only if you plan on donating an embroidery machine to me. I explained that problem to the husband and if he does finally go for it we will look for a screen print material to use. He told me that she is nuts about unicorns.
Bye
Pat

quote:
Originally posted by Llantrisant: