Dress Shop Home Page    livingsoftnw.groupee.net    Discussion List  Hop To Forum Categories  Dress Shop App  Hop To Forums  Dress Shop Topics    Prom Dress for my niece
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Prom Dress for my niece
 Login/Join

posted
Hi,

My niece has asked me to make a dress for her. This will be fun. She showed me a picture (big mistake) and I'm trying to figure out what pattern in DS9 to use to start with. It has a strapless sweetheart neckline, trumpet or mermaid style skirt with side shirring to the left. My big issue is the back, there was no picture of it, but it seemed to look like it was gathered up around the knees.

I hope this makes sense and I hope someone can at least give me a start. I'd like to do this for her.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Samsmom,

Posts: 6 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The picture came from somewhere- magazine, shop flyer, on line so the first thing I would do is troll the internet prom dress sites and see if you can find the magic dress, with a back view as well.

You can often find front/back at the design house site even if it is whole sale only you can at least see it.

Since size 6 means different things to different design houses- know that our measurements from the standard sizes come from ANSI (government) charts and may not coincide 100% with any particular makers charts and they are all somewhat different. So spot checking the measurements especially vertical ones and bust, waist, abd, hip are pretty important andwill save you oddles of time and effort.

Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently created a pattern for a niece based on pictures. I was able to work with her in a chat mode over the Internet. Most if the ideas for what became her pattern came from the web page linked below.

http://www.cinderellasgowns.com/

Most of the images have both a front and back view once you click on them and then click on the enlarge the image feature. Hope this helps.

Posts: 113 | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good Luck with that!
Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you. I will take her measurements and IAfter talking to the little dear, she wants the back to be a plain mermaid style dress. WHEW! We are trying to decide to put the zipper in the back or on the side.

So can someone help me with what pattern in DS9 should I start with? I didn't see any with a strapless sweetheart neckline.

Posts: 6 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are several pages at the website shown from Cinderellas closet- which group, gowns or prom,? which elements,other than bare shoulder, sweetheart? Theres just not Not enough detail offered. If tis bodice on model #xxx and skirt of #yyy define that.

Also which program and version are you using? So we can determine what's available to you.

I would suggest a simple sketch - bodice skirt outlines, is it a waisted dress or one piece front, back. princess/panel/design?
Remember the sketch is for you - not to be framed and hung in the national museaum.so don't worry about drawing.just get the "idea" across.

Start with bare shoulder. Easy to sort out a sweetheart neckline from there. Get the right skirt selection next.Is there an empire line, bodice line,visible darting?shirring? pick ups?

Define this as much as you can with pictures,drawings,words.

You may have to overlay parts of two dresses to get where you want in DS . But It can be done.

The girl's body must be taken into account. Will she need a corset or corsolet, boning,? what fabric selections- a stretch satin,or novelty, a chiffon over woven, need to know that for both fit levels /ease and how heavy is it. How much drag will the weight of the dress force into the fitting?

Chances are a waist stay should be involved - find out about thatand much more from a book by Susan Khalje - which might be available at the local library. see her website http://www.susankhalje.com/

A well researched dress that's carefully selected will be a winner.

Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com