Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hi
 Login/Join

posted
I am wondering if anyone out there have any suggestions on how to change a wedding gown back from a zipper to a corset. I am thinking that I would take the zipper out and fold back enough fabric to allow for the space needed to corset the back. I would have enough fabric from the hem to insert a backing between the back and dress.

Thanks

Barbara

Posts: 9 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have done this for a number of clients, mostly those who have bought a 'too small' dress - which therefore did not need to have any fabric taken away.

Is it a dress or a separate bodice? For a bodice, you can take away the fabric from either side to give the open area that the lacing goes over. For a dress, you will need to taper this to nothing at the point where the skirt is joined (i.e. at the bottom of the existing zipper). You may need to take a little more from one side than the other because of the zipper placket - use the side seams or side-back seams to judge this.

You will need to make rouleau loops and put them down the sides of the opening. It is also a good thing to put boning down the edges so the lacing doesn't make the back pucker up. If it is a separate bodice, space the loops on the edge of the top and the bottom and space evenly in between. If it is a dress, stop the loops a couple of inches above the place where the skirt is joined. The modesty panel is attached on one side and tucks in loose at the other. Don't expect this to be able to reduce the bride's size (like 'tight lacing'), as the fabric isn't likely to be strong enough. However it is good enough to get a nice snug fit.

Gabrielle
UK

DS Pro 6.17, FD1&2, Fit Tool, Illusions, Ult Outerwear, Ult Pants, all sets to 1052
HatShop 1.1
MPD Pro 1.0401, drafting engine 6.19

Posts: 8 | Location: UK | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Gabrielle

Barbara

Posts: 9 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post