Dress Shop Home Page    livingsoftnw.groupee.net    Discussion List  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Topic Area  Hop To Forums  Sewing Related Things    Cool Ruler forPattern Drafting
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cool Ruler forPattern Drafting
 Login/Join

posted
Here's a nifty free tool that bears bringing to the attention of new users. It's not a LivingSoft product, but it is very helpful in measuring onscreen patterns in full and quarter scale before printing.

http://www.fabsoft.com/pages/Downloads/Downloads.htm

I found the best way to check the "calibration" of the Cool Ruler was to select a pattern, turn on the grid, click on print this pattern, click Full scale, and make sure the ruler set at 100% measures one square on the 1-inch Dress Shop grid.

Then, without moving the ruler, click on 25% on the Dress Shop Ready to Print page. You will see the Cool Ruler has four little yellow squares to the inch. In Dress Shop quarter scale view the darker line squares measure 1.25 inches.

Having done the above, and with your quarter scale pattern showing, the grid turned on, and the ruler overlaying the pattern, click on the ruler's 3rd icon from the left, and click on 25% on the dropdown menu that appears. You will see the ruler change to show each of those little yellow squares measure 1 inch.

Click the X on the ruler to close it.

Posts: 221 | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't keep my mouth shut.....
Cool Ruler must be calibrated to YOUR screen display settigns or you may get inaccurate results.

Cool Ruler can measure on the horizontal or vertical but not on the diagonal.

Do not presume what you are measuring is totally accurate.Its great for quick checks.

When in doubt and its serious, print a 1/4 scale with grid on and measure measure measure using a good precise ruler.

When real accuracy is needed print a full scale and measure.

Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post