New
Find
Notify
Tools

OT. Sewing Lamps
 Login/Join

posted
Hi Everyone

I am looking for peoples opinions on the best sewings lamps, maybe ones that also have magnifyers with them. I am desperately needing some good light around my machine and overlocker, eyes not like what they used to be Big Grin , but cannot make my mind up which lamp to buy.
Thanks you in advance for your help.

Posts: 9 | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ott lights are great. I have one ott floor lamp near my sewing machine and a overhead full spectrum florsent bulb.

Kat >^..^<
My Pattern Designer Pro 1.09, DS Pro & Doll Shop Deluxe Fashion Designer Suite v7.02, Doll Shop Deluxe, FD1, FD2, Activewear II, Spring & Summer 2005, Men's Essential, DS Fit Tool, DS Princess Designer, Illusions, Ultimate Outerwear, Ultimate Pants, Add-ons 1-14, All pattern sets through 1046, plus 1050, Hat Shop 1.1, Home Dec Sampler 1.02, Win XP Home, HP C5180, IE 7.

Posts: 15 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kath UK:
I am looking for peoples opinions on the best sewings lamps, maybe ones that also have magnifyers with them.

The Ott-Lite lamps are highly recommended for reading and sewing. I visited the Ott-Lite website, read about the various types of lighting and how they are used, and the testimonials of those who are using them. This, along with seeing the different models available, helped me select the Ott-Lite VisionSaver desktop lamp as a solution for office work, but the TrueColor lamps are recommended for sewing and crafts. Some of the lamps have magnifiers. See info in links below. ~ Diane, a satisfied customer in the USA.

Natural Light for Crafting, Hobbies, Reading, Sewing and Quilting from OTT-LITE Technology
http://www.ottlite.com
EQS-European Quilting Supplies-News
http://www.eqsuk.com/news/ottlite_adds_to_range/
Ott-Lite Suppliers (England, N. Ireland, Scotland, Wales)
http://www.ottlite.com/wtbi_results.asp

Posts: 221 | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kat, is right, Ott Lamps are great. But they're very expensive if bought from a 'sewing' source. I bought mine from an office supply store for much less. The ones with the magnifier may not be available in the office supply stores. The one I have has a regular bulb for close work and then the Ott Lamp is on the other side of my sewing machine. Just a thought.
SEW ON

AliceM DS Educator
DS6.14 Pro, MPD with everything else. WinXP, HP3050 color laser printer

Posts: 36 | Location: Ocean Park, WA | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the US General Electric makes a bulb called Reveal, True light, available in a variety of wattages.

I own two Otss but use reveal in standard lamps and often get "brighter light" from the couple dollar bulb versus the expensive Ott lamp.

Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use a desk light, that screws onto my cabinet sewing machine table,a 100 watt bulb in there gives me lots of light, plus there is a glass cover, which has a magnifying glass in one side.Works for me anyhow. Razzer

M.P.D4.Pro.MPD Tools
Collections-Spring- Summer-Fall- Winter-Jeans Machine.
Windows7Home Prem. IE10

Posts: 1535 | Location: Ontario. Canada | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Tensor lamp, which is a supermarket version of the Ott light, but works just as well. I also have one of those lamps like Llantrisant uses. Too lazy to get my glasses prescription renewed and that magnifying glass gets a workout. It adjusts right down to shine on my serger and the magnifier really helps when threading the needles. Cool

I WILL win the stash battle even if it means hocking the cats!

Posts: 10 | Location: Far West | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Everyone

Just wanted to say thanks for your advice on lamps. Smiler
Decided to go with the Daylight co,Ott Lamps do one simalar, but this was a better price for me. Ordered it direct from them and it arrived yesterday. Works very well and comes with a detatchable magnifyer, and a detatchable bulldog clip for holding things with,Also has a removable tray that sits at the bottom of the lamp, for your bits and bobs.

Posts: 9 | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post