Dress Shop Home Page    livingsoftnw.groupee.net    Discussion List  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Topic Area  Hop To Forums  Sewing Related Things    Steaming large bits of yardage
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Steaming large bits of yardage
 Login/Join

posted
I wanted to make an 8 gore skirt today for me
It needed a good steam before I started working with it and I thought I would share my humungus hangar.

I have a floor steamer which rolls pretty well and long ago I made a hangar from a caredboard fabric tube,its covered in triple thickness of flannel.

dropped a pencil ( as a weight) tied onto butcher string down the length of the tube which had been cut to 60 inches and used a metal washer at each end then brought the string up leaving a long loop.

I have two tiny tacking nails in the big door frame between the living room and dining room
and can hang the loop so the tube is the bottom of the hangar, and I drape the fabric over the flannel covered tube.

Turn on the steamer and easily steamed a 5 yard piece all in one swoop nice and even and flat and it can hang there until dry.

Ill have my fabric cut out in just a few minutes, steamed and ready to stitch.

This skirt olooks like its gonna be perfect!

Wont be able to wear it today as I want it to hang on dress form for a day or two ( second steaming) before I hem it because of all the bias on the sides of each panel..

fabric is a black ground with large pale pinky peachy flowers with sagey green leaves.and it has to be free cause I don't even remember what year I bought it...

I think Ill hunt up some pale green and or very light peach stretch or interlock to make some more cap sleeve reglans to go with......I can always wear the white sleeveless shell I made in close fit but I think id like some color.
There must be some in stash....

Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kaaren Hoback:
I have a floor steamer which rolls pretty well

Thanks, Kaaren. I've often wondered if these were worth the money. Your skirt sounds gorgeous.

Also, does anyone use the irons with the steam systems attached to them. If so, what do you think about them.

Thanks,
Elsa

Posts: 70 | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can we see some pictures of this???

Connie A
Madison WI
Got it all

Posts: 101 | Location: Princeville, Hawaii (Kauai) | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, such a great idea. I remembered seeing it at my workshop with you one year. I new that to be a great idea and made one for myself. Now I just need to buy a steam iron or generator. I have used it with just my home iron with good steam, but the steam only iron would work much faster.

Sewlove

Posts: 21 | Location: NYC | Registered: 10 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll take one this weekend and post it to club somewhere.
The skirts cut out and the "hangar is hanging back up on a couple mails on my "muslin wall" where I tack up bits of this n that.I hang it in the double door way so theres no wall behind when steaming.I rather like the paint or wall paper in most these rooms. and would rather not steam it off...
Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The best part about it.its free
one fabric tube, begged from the local fabric shop, about 140/150 inches of butcher string I always have a ball of that around, some scrap muslin or flannel to cover the cardboard and 2 washers.ok they cost my 60-70 cents each...the washers are to keep the string from cutting into the cardboard when you have some heavy woolens on the hangar.

patrns4u@aol.com

posted Hide Post
Elsa I have a Euro Pro steam generator iron and I love it. I have had it for about 4 years now and I couldn't be happier. I hold a lot of water and I have done a lot of fabric pre treatment with it and It is great for underlining large projects. You don't have to stop every 20 miutes at refill the iron. I get ton of steam when I need and want it and I can use it dry also. I've got a teflon sole plate cover to it doesn't leave the steam vent marks when I use it dry. You can also use it vertically and I have used it that way many times to steam wrinkles ou of drapes etc. Only problem with that is that the cord can be a little short. All in all I wouldn't be without one now.

Kathy

Posts: 14 | Location: Stark County, OH | Registered: 15 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Elsa I have a Euro Pro steam generator iron and I love it. I have had it for about 4 years now and I couldn't be happier. I hold a lot of water and I have done a lot of fabric pre treatment with it and It is great for underlining large projects.

Thanks Kathy. The cat knocked my iron off the ironing board Frowner and I am now in need of a knew one.

Elsa

Posts: 70 | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post