Dress Shop Home Page    livingsoftnw.groupee.net    Discussion List  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Topic Area  Hop To Forums  Sewing Related Things    Sewing machines for miniature embroidery.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sewing machines for miniature embroidery.
 Login/Join

posted
I'm tentatively looking for an embroidery sewing machine (shh don't tell DH!). I don't need anything too fancy (or expensive) but I do need the facility to do miniature embroidery - specifically for dolls clothes. I don't need Disney-type pictures but tiny flowers, patterns, etc. What I'd like to know is can ALL machines embroider basic but tiny designs or do I need a particular make/model? I'm in the UK if that makes any difference. I'd be grateful for any advice. Thank you Smiler

Paula
(loving the new forum!)

Posts: 6 | Location: Leicestershire, UK | Registered: 23 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Paula,

Doing minuature designs is not a function of the machine but the design itself. You will need to look for miniature designs in the format that your machine will recognize.

Because you are sewing doll clothes, you might want to check hoop size. A small hoop might be helpful to you.

Posts: 190 | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Carolyn

Thanks for taking the time to reply :-)

I had read somewhere (can't remember where) that although embroidery machines can scale down designs some don't change the stitch count and you could end up with a lumpy design.

Presumably if you get a miniature design to start with this isn't a problem? Are miniature designs readily available and if not, are some machines more suitable than others for scaling down designs?

Although I have been sewing for some years I have no experience at all of these fancy machines and don't want to buy something that's not going to be suitable.

Many thanks in anticipation Smiler

Posts: 6 | Location: Leicestershire, UK | Registered: 23 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PaulaJ,

There are several websites that have miniature designs:

http://www.perfectlittlestitches.com
http://www.embroideryonline.com
http://www.emblibrary.com

are three that come immediately to mind.

Patti Hamel
DS6.11 and all addins
IE 6.0; HPLJ 1012

Patti Hamel
DS6.092, All Addins
IE6.0, HPLJ 1012

Posts: 28 | Location: Utah | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Paula,

Some machines can scale down designs and of course the software (if you purchase it) can scale the designs. Some do it better than others.

For example, let's say you have a design that is 3,000 stitches and you scale it down 50%. Many systems will retain the full 3,000 stitches, making the design very dense and not very attractive. I have a Bernina 200 and the Artista software. One of the unique qualities of Bernina is that the density is retained when designs are scaled, meaning there will be fewer stitches.

If you choose to scale, no matter what machine or software you use, it is best not to change the size too much. 40% is usually the max. The reason for this is the level of detail. Too much detail in a very small design (or not enough in a large design) does not look very good.

For these reasons, I feel it is best to find designs that are close to the size you want.

I have the Artista software. If I want, for example, several small flowers for a project, I might find the flower in a larger design, then extract it and size/arrange it for my project.

Whatever you choose to do, test your design before stitching on the real project.

Posts: 190 | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Patti: Thanks so much, that certainly gives me an idea of what's available.

Carolyn: Brilliant! Thanks for that clear explanation. Very helpful.

posted Hide Post
Hi

If you are going to be buying an embroidery/sewing machine combo think twice before you spend all that money on the software that goes with it. I have had two emb/sew. machines with the software and honestly since I bought Embird which is much more cost effective and much easier to learn I don't use the software that I bought for my machine ($700.00) Embird (I bought it when it was $65ish dollars its now between 80 & 100) and have never regretted it. What I regret is spending the money on the machine specific software. With some machines you may have to buy a magic box but not so with my brother Ult. So check around.

Carolyn the advice about stitching out a sample design is the best advice you can give a newbie to embroidery!!!!!

Posts: 147 | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi,

As a rule, the embroidery machine is not the deciding factor in the size of the design you wish to sew.

There are very small designs readily available which would be suitable for doll clothes.

On the other hand, if you want to sew 'larger designs', it does make a difference how large the sewing field is for embroidery on various models of sewing machines.

Sandi

DressShop Pro 7.02a, MPD Pro 3 Version 3.01, Unlimited Womens Collection, Complete Pants Designer, Fashion Designer I & II, Fit Tool, Princess Designer, Ultimate Pants, Essential Lingerie, Ultimate Outerwear, Spring and Summer Collection 2005, Sew Quick Summer Casuals, Hat Shop, Home Dec, EPSON Workforce 1100 wide bed printer, Windows Vista and Windows 7

Posts: 58 | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post