Dress Shop Home Page    livingsoftnw.groupee.net    Discussion List  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Topic Area  Hop To Forums  Sewing Related Things    Does neck binding have to be cut on the bias
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does neck binding have to be cut on the bias
 Login/Join

posted
I want to bind a neck edge rather than use interfacing...does it have to be on the bias or could I use the facing piece and cut it 1 1/2 and fold over?

TIA Darlene (p.s. love the new discussion board it's much easier to navigate)

Posts: 10 | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my opinion, if you are going to bind a neckline, you want it to be smooth and curve around the neckline and to be able to do that you must use a bias cut strip. I like using a french binding on lightweight fabrics.
You can make a very narrow facing, but it will likely turn out when worn unless you stitch through all layers of facing and garment (like top stitching). That can be a design element if the garment will look enhanced by it.

DS6.092 Standard
Fashion Designer 1
Dress Shop Essential Patterns for Girls

Posts: 21 | Location: Stranded at Grand Lake in NE Okla. | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am in the midst of making a new blouse here,trying to use my brain, on what to do with it,I have thought about cording around the scoop neckline, in a contrast colour,although theres lots in the pattern itself, white black blue florals.but i though of black to offset it.Is there a trick for the bias to stop it from twisting after washings?hesitant to do this unless there is.

Posts: 1535 | Location: Ontario. Canada | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes there is a trick.
Do see the self bias article in Help>Help Index that talks about swirling.thats the pressinfg one does after creating the bias "tape"
when applied the precurved, pre stretched tape doesnt twist.

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi LL

Did you see Kaaren's earlier post with regard to this?

check it out.

Posts: 147 | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi,
This morning I made a v-necked blouse from a bright, busy fruit-covered fabric. I used deep red piping (purchased) around the neckline and bottom of the 3/4 sleeves. Really finished it off nicely and added just the right amount of definition to the busy print. HTH Wink

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Llantrisant:
I am in the midst of making a new blouse here,trying to use my brain, on what to do with it,I have thought about cording around the scoop neckline, in a contrast colour,although theres lots in the pattern itself, white black blue florals.but i though of black to offset it.

Posts: 86 | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay, I'm using bias binding....

Kaaren where can I find the help index, is it the one in dress shop?

Posts: 10 | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes.you will find tons of stuff
Bias Binding is found In help then help Index
how to assemble section

but there is also an amazing collection of Help article LINKS from universities and magazine found in help "on the web" .

Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well I have just read the article in the help index and wish I had read it before. Just made a casual shell in a polyester woven and made binding of self fabric and it is all twisted and am tempted to take it off and put on a facing. Will try this first. Will the binding done like this work equally well with woven as with knits?
Marge UK

Posts: 237 | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I found "How to assemble patterns" in the "Help Index", but there is no article called "Bias Binding". There are 6 articles listed: shawl collar, turtleneck, yoke, one-seam pants, waistbands, and slippery fabrics. Is "Bias binding" under one of these topics? Am I missing an article?

DS 6.092, Fit Tool, Ess. Act., Ult. Pants

Posts: 6 | Location: NE MS | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes BUT.with knits you use a slightly shorter length of ribbing and do a gentle pull to stretch slightly. also use a stretch or HS needle and if yoru machine has it the stretch stitch that looks like 3 bars.

Unlike ribbing where you would pull fairly firmly and use a lot less length.

My suggestion, a little trial on scraps to get the "feel" helps a lot!

Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beth Calvert:
I found "How to assemble patterns" in the "Help Index", but there is no article called "Bias Binding". There are 6 articles listed: shawl collar, turtleneck, yoke, one-seam pants, waistbands, and slippery fabrics. Is "Bias binding" under one of these topics? Am I missing an article?

Help>Help Index> How to assemble>All about bias and self bias

patrns4u@aol.com

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kaaren Hoback:
Yes BUT.with knits you use a slightly shorter length of ribbing and do a gentle pull to stretch slightly. also use a stretch or HS needle and if yoru machine has it the stretch stitch that looks like 3 bars.

Unlike ribbing where you would pull fairly firmly and use a lot less length.

My suggestion, a little trial on scraps to get the "feel" helps a lot!

Kaaren

I have made alot of t-shirts, in fact that is all I wear.
My suggestion (sorry Kaaren) is don't use the stretch stich on your machine IF, IF you are doing this on the neckline or sleeves. Here is why, when you put on the neckline you stretch it a little. That little stretch will then give you all you need to get it to stretch over your head.

Plus, depending on how you put on the binding, you can do it two different ways. If you go to the Threads magazine website, they have a short video that shows putting on a neck binding like what an "undershirt" would have. Here is a link:

http://www.taunton.com/threads/pages/tvt044.asp

And there is another way I do this for a neck edge that looks like this:

http://www.landsend.com/cd/fp/prod/0,,1_2_1930_57378_12...=0262102700069130001

These do not need to be cut on the bias because they are knit. The second image to me is a little bit more dressier for a tee than the first, but I use both interchangeably, depending on my mood.
LindaF

Posts: 139 | Location: New York | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great Tips! and good advice. Im glad you shared it.
Kaaren
learning is a life time event.

patrns4u@aol.com

posted Hide Post
Linda, can you explain the neckband on the Landsend shirt? By the time I've zoomed in it's too blurry to see detail.

Thanks......

Kathy Warner

Posts: 81 | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post