Dress Shop Home Page    livingsoftnw.groupee.net    Discussion List  Hop To Forum Categories  Doll Shop  Hop To Forums  Doll Shop Topics    Problems with measurement input
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Problems with measurement input
 Login/Join

posted
I have the latest update for Doll Dress Shop. When I am looking at the pre exsisting measurements, or inputting new ones some of the measurements aren't present. For instance, I load the measurements for "Gene" When I select the item "Gene" from the menu, the drop down list does not disapear until I click in another window, and the measuremnets are mostly there, but some are missing, such as calf, ankle, height, ankle/heel and dart center offset. If I put in custom measurements this issue also occurs when I reload the measurements. Further, the title of the measurement set is not displayed in the box just abot the "load, save etc" buttons.

Any solutions for this?

Posts: 17 | Registered: 29 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have the latest update for Doll Dress Shop. When I am looking at the pre exsisting measurements, or inputting new ones some of the measurements aren't present. For instance, I load the measurements for "Gene" When I select the item "Gene" from the menu, the drop down list does not disapear until I click in another window, and the measuremnets are mostly there, but some are missing, such as calf, ankle, height, ankle/heel and dart center offset. If I put in custom measurements this issue also occurs when I reload the measurements. Further, the title of the measurement set is not displayed in the box just abot the "load, save etc" buttons.

Any solutions for this?

When you sent in the problem report about this, I replied to you with an email that pointed out to you that the measurements you said were not displaying were those that are off-screen and required the use of the window scroll bar to view. I asked you if you had used the scroll bar or not. The behavior of that Window might vary with different browsers or different hardware, perhaps.

As you did not reply, then neither I nor anyone else is likely to be able to help you. This is not a problem that any other user has ever reported, so it is most likely either your system or some action that you are or are not taking which is different from what others are doing.

Did you receive the email I sent to you after you sent in your problem report? Perhaps your spam filters kept it from reaching you...

DressShopBob
(Bob Clardy)

Posts: 718 | Registered: 18 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I dont recall sending you an email about this. Regardless the problem occurs on the first page (dart center offset) and on the others I mentioned when I "scroll" down the page to look at the rest of the measurements. It isn't because I am not scolling down to see the measurements in the boxes, it is because the boxes are empty. If I input the data in the empty boxes, it is gone the next time I open the measurements. Ironically the "around head" measure is present even thought the "last saved on:" is blank.

I just opened one of the preinstalled sets of measurements, and they have the same issue. I know this doesn't occur in version 5.12, because I just removed and reinstalled the entire thing and this issue doesn't happen in that version.

I would stay with version 5.12 except that the patterns print too high on the paper and cut a portion of the pattern off in some cases.

Any solution would be most welcome.

semirans

posted Hide Post
Since I wasn't the one that sent you a problem report, then it seems that there are at least 2 customers with this issue.

I don't use a spam filter, as an admin for a small company I tend to use a more hands on approach for dealing with email and I do't get a lot of spam since I avoid the behaviors that cause it to be generated.

It seems to me that your stock answers for all issues are "It must be your fault" You blamed it on printer settings when it in fact was an issue with the software. Now it must be my particular computer configuration or my lack of computer knowledge that is causing the problem.

Since I tried the software on numerous computers, it most likely isn't "my hardware" causing the boxes to be blank. I certainly won't be recommending this software to anyone that shares my doll hobby and should it come up I will certainly be warning people away.

Yvonne Warden

posted Hide Post
Yvonne,

You are not being fair if you advise others not to use this program. We all have to try to see if it's the software we want/need.

Most of us make a mistake or two along the line. Please try what DSBob has advised. He know the program inside out.

I found out a few years ago that I was having a problem & was going to quit using the program because...after all it couldn't be me that has sewed over 50 years....well guess what I had one measurement typed in wrong. Once I got a problem report back I seen it was my fault.

So please don't go away, try what the company advises to see if the problem is fixed.

Don't want any arguement over this, but if you decide to leave us...farewell & hope you success in finding another program you can work with. Smiler

Gentle Hugs,
Barbara in N. E. Georgia
"Sewing ...It's not a Passion, it's an Obsession"

Posts: 228 | Location: Somewhere, Arkansas | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Since I wasn't the one that sent you a problem report, then it seems that there are at least 2 customers with this issue.

I don't use a spam filter, as an admin for a small company I tend to use a more hands on approach for dealing with email and I do't get a lot of spam since I avoid the behaviors that cause it to be generated.

It seems to me that your stock answers for all issues are "It must be your fault" You blamed it on printer settings when it in fact was an issue with the software. Now it must be my particular computer configuration or my lack of computer knowledge that is causing the problem.

Since I tried the software on numerous computers, it most likely isn't "my hardware" causing the boxes to be blank. I certainly won't be recommending this software to anyone that shares my doll hobby and should it come up I will certainly be warning people away.

The Dress Shop program and the Doll Shop program are one and the same. The program code that displays the full measurement chart is the same for both. And, since we have not had a large number of users reporting a problem with the full measurement chart and since we have been unable to make that chart misbehave in any way when testing it, we have to ask if something other than the software could be involved.

There had been one other report like this one several weeks ago. But, after replying to the report with some questions, we heard nothing further from that user. So, they either did not get the email with the questions or they figured out their problem and solved it. Or, perhaps they just don't like questions. In any case, when they did not respond to our email, their report was closed. When you recently posted using an email address that is not in the Livingsoft accounts, I thought it must be the same person. But, apparently not.

That still leaves us with either one or possibly two users reporting this problem. Both mention Doll Shop, which does seem odd, since Doll Shop and Dress Shop do use the same software program, just different activation codes, pattern scaling and instructions. The measurements charts are identical, though.

When most users are not seeing a reported problem and we are unable to make the problem occur when we test it, then we look further. Problems also occur in installation, because of hardware compatibily, and due to user procedural error of one sort or another. Those are more difficult to pin down, particularly when the user involved does not want to hear about such possibilities.

The problem you are seeing and reporting is not one that our staff has been able to duplicate using any of the hardware sets we have nor any procedures we can think to try. Your report does not include any of the other information that might prove relevant, such as version of Windows, type of hardware you use, version of Internet Explorer (I recently installed the beta version of Internet Explorer 7 and had a large number of setup and configuration problems) or version of Doll Shop you are running. Without those things, we may not be using the hardware or software that has the problem. If I am using Windows XP to look for a problem that only occurs in Windows 98, then I am not likely to see it.

You could try sending in a problem report from the Help menu of the program. It does provide a some of that information and might help with a diagnosis. But, it might not.

DressShopBob
(Bob Clardy)

posted Hide Post
It isn't a matter of trying what he advised. First I never submitted a trouble ticket for this issue. Second it isn't an issue of me not scrolling down the page. Even when I load the preinstalled measurements for dollshop, some of the boxes are EMPTY both at the top and when I scroll down. I'm a computer tech with thousands of hours of experience in using software. I am very careful having had to troubleshoot issues with operating systems to look for the obvious things that I overlooked.

I already did a complete removal and reinstall on 2 different machines. This issue ONLY comes up when I update the software from version 5.12 to the most current version that I freshly downloaded from their website. So it isn't my hardware or my lack of ability. it truly is a defect.

Further, on my warning people about the software, why wouldn't it be "fair"? If the software doens't perform as promised, why not call it a lemon?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Even when I load the preinstalled measurements for dollshop, some of the boxes are EMPTY both at the top and when I scroll down

I have just checked all my saved measurements and the program "provided" measurements (version 6.18) and the only boxes with zero values are dress waist offset and dart offset which were designed for adult women with tilted waists and not used by the doll programs.

If you could state specifically which version you are running and which named charts are missing values and which values are missing it may be easier to find a cause/effect.

Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry just went back and saw your first post- Ive been offline for a few days with visiting family. Ill send you the values you listed as missing.
Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"When I select the item "Gene" from the menu, the drop down list does not disapear until I click in another window, and the measurements are mostly there, but some are missing, such as calf, 2.75 ankle 1.625 , height 15.5, ankle/heel 2.313 and dart center offset 0
after entering these values which should at least show 0 in the value box please save as Gene."

I have entered the value as shown in my version of the program next to the body position you named.
Kaaren

Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

posted Hide Post
I am currently running on a Sony Vaio PCG-FXA53 Running WinXP SP2. Using a Mobile AMD Athlon 1500+ 256MB Ram. The program is installed on the secondary drive partition(d: with 27G space free). Windows is installed on the primary drive partition (c: with 2.75G free) (this is one large 40G HD with 2 partitions)

This issue does not occur if I remove the entire program and reinstall from the original CD I bought which is version 5.12(there may be some additional subnumbers, but i didn't pay attention). The issue shows itself when I install the updates to bring the version to the current one.

This can be replicated identically on my 3 other machines. One is a Dell desktop, purchased last Dec the other 2 are home built machines (by me) both using Pentium chipsets (dinosaurs). Since I doubt any two of these machines has vaguely similar hardware, it isn't just an issue on my one machine.

The issue has the following symptoms.

There is NO display of the measurement name on the page where you edit/enter measurements.

The Last saved Date is blank in all instances

Some of the measurements do not display in the boxes, either in my custom measurements, or if I load those that you include with the program. These being Big Grinart center offset, calf, ankle, ankle/heal, & height

The last measurement "around head" is still there.

When I go to load a custom set of measurements I select the file name and the measurements in the back window change (so I know it loads them) But in order to get the dialog box to disapear I have to select "cancel" after selecting "load"

As an added note, when looking at the file that saves my custom measurements, the "data" for the blank boxes is still there. If that wasn't clear. I mean that the strings of numbers which correspond to the custom numbers that I put into the programm are all there in the file.

Hope it gets fixed.

posted Hide Post
quote:
As an added note, when looking at the file that saves my custom measurements, the "data" for the blank boxes is still there. If that wasn't clear. I mean that the strings of numbers which correspond to the custom numbers that I put into the programm are all there in the file.

Hope it gets fixed.

I found the problem. Your signature on the last post was what was needed. Most of our customers that have Doll Shop also have some other Dress Shop related product as well and that is the way I usually run my copy of the program, with both activated. When I was able to look up your account, I noticed that you owned only Doll Shop, so I retested with just that single activation. And, the problem did happen. Of course.

Apparently if you own Dress Shop as well, you get the version of the measurement chart that includes some measuring wizard support that is not present in the Doll Shop stand-alone product. I'm sorry that I was not aware there was a difference. Once we could make it happen, it was easy enough to track down and correct. I have posted a patch file that fixes this at:

http://www.LivingsoftNW.com/builds/DollShopPatch.exe

This is a self-extracting zip file. After you download, run it to install to the default Doll Shop installation folder. If you have installed Doll Shop elsewhere, be sure to change the "Unzip To" address when you install the patch.

I'm sorry that I did not think to test it standalone when I saw your first post...

DressShopBob
(Bob Clardy)

posted Hide Post
I appreciate your working to get this issue solved. I will dl the patch and keep you posted.

Yvonne