Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stretch Percentages
 Login/Join

posted
I checked the stretch amount as per the article in the Dress Shop manual. My one fabric has a lengthwise amount of 9 1/2" or 58% and a crosswise amount of 9" or 50%. Does this mean that when I design my pattern I use these two percentages instead of the defaults of 80% and 40% for swimwear? Thanks Kaaren - hopefully this is my final question (for a while). My sister is going to help measure me this weekend so I'm looking forward to really designing an outfit.

Posts: 61 | Registered: 22 May 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Board Administrator
posted Hide Post
IF you are talking swim suit that fabric simply may not be appropriate. Most fabric that is designed for swim has a much greater percentage. If you are talking surf gear- thats different- the factors are 60H and 30 V and your fabric doesnt meet that criteria either. I would hesitate to use that fabric.

Kaaren

Board Administrator, Dress Shop App

Posts: 1868 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Board Administrator
posted Hide Post
Clicked send too fast- should you decide to use your fabric Use 80% of the available stretch for the horizontal stretch and 40% of the available stretch for the vertical.

Depends which way you are cutting- long grain or cross grain top to bottom.

Usually the longest Stretch percentage goes around the body.

IE:H 80% of 50 is 40 and 80% of 58 is 46.4

V 40% of 50 is 20 and 40 % of 58 is 23.2

you can round up or down to the nearest full number.

BTW the fabrics memory or ability to return to original size is important... seeing as the fabric is questionable for swim I would cut a 6 by 6 square wet it.check the numbers, let it dry and remeasure against the original numbers.

Kaaren

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dress Shop,

Posts: 1868 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Kaaren - that stretch factor makes sense to me now. Also - I re-checked my stretch factor - turns out I used a 4" swatch & not 6" - the heat must be getting to me brain so my stretch amount is fine for the 80/40.

Posts: 61 | Registered: 22 May 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Board Administrator
posted Hide Post
Thats Great! Have fun
Kaaren