New
Find
Notify
Tools

Princess Designer
 Login/Join

<Rose Marie>
posted
Does anyone know if in the update, the Princess Designer improves the way Dress Shop Deluxe 6 designs the Princess shoulder flared dress.... I found that the side panels look catawampus with the side seam holding all the flare instead of equal flare on the side panels. That is the flare is only on the side seam and not on the seam that joins with the center back section and the front center section. I did a draft of this Princess shoulder flared dress and found the drape disconcerting. The bias edge hangs lower and the overall look is not attractive. I was thinking of purchasing the Princess Designer but if there has not been an improvement then I shouldn't.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know if in the update, the Princess Designer improves the way Dress Shop Deluxe 6 designs the Princess shoulder flared dress.... I found that the side panels look catawampus with the side seam holding all the flare instead of equal flare on the side panels. That is the flare is only on the side seam and not on the seam that joins with the center back section and the front center section. I

This is how this garment group has always drafted.

It is something many of the designers have desired to change for a long time.

Its being reviewed fairly soon. But no promises when....
Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So we can assume, since this has been an ongoing, and a known problem by the programmers since these patterns started being released in May 2002, that someone is finally taking notice to all the complaints we're finally seeing?

The flare princess (or any princess for that matter) shoud be considered a core pattern and have been corrected so very long ago. If anyone would take the time to visit bridal websites, would know that this pattern IS the basis for most formal and wedding gowns these days. It's the most flattering design for most all figure types.

I don't know how many users I've heard from in the last three years that gave up in disgust when trying to make their daughter's prom dresses or bridal gowns. The information for how to correct this problem was not very forthcoming.

I won't hold my breath for the fixes.

Sue

Posts: 12 | Location: Torrance, CA | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the DS crew does an excellent job. I don't know of any programs that come without a glitch, some are easier to fix than others. I am very happy with the program. I finally can sew clothes that fit without a lot of work. Keep up the good work DS.

Posts: 10 | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StitcherDMcG:
I think the DS crew does an excellent job. I don't know of any programs that come without a glitch, some are easier to fix than others. I am very happy with the program. I finally can sew clothes that fit without a lot of work. Keep up the good work DS.

With all due respect, there is a big difference between a glitch and getting a pattern that will cause a dress to lay off grain when one wears it.

This is not a glitch, it is a pattern drafting mistake that causes a dress to not lay correctly on the body.

I am sure that wearing one that is drafted the way this is screams that ugly word - homemade. And nobody is sewing to create that kind of look.
Linda Flint

Posts: 139 | Location: New York | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
call it what you want, I still think the DS Crew and DS program, even with the "mistakes" is wonderful.

Posts: 10 | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did not say the DS was not wonderful. I use it exclusively. If I did not do that I would not think it was wonderful also.

A glitch is when a seam goes wonky by mistake.
A glitch is when patterns overlap on the screen
A glitch is when you get a crazy 8 seam line instead of a straight line.

The princess flare dress being deliberately drafted so that they grain goes off bias on the side panels is a pattern drafting error. If one of the Big4 did that, you would definitely expect them to repair it. And seeing how I think the DS software is just as compatible as one of the Big4, then my expectations on a well drafted pattern are just as high.

If you start to use the wrong terminology then it starts to get confusing on how things can get fixed. A "glitch" is a software bug that has to be found and corrected. A "drafting error" has to be reprogrammed. Thus the need to make sure we use the correct language when describing things on this board.
Linda Flint

Posts: 139 | Location: New York | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by LindaF:
I did not say the DS was not wonderful. I use it exclusively. If I did not do that I would not think it was wonderful also.

The princess flare dress being deliberately drafted so that they grain goes off bias on the side panels is a pattern drafting error.

ah one of my favorite topics the pricness flare, the panel flare, any split pattern piece flare.

We want what can be done with scissors in seconds....slice up from ehm to flare point,seperate and add width in the now open space.

Equal flare to both sides of the panel piece and applied to all panel pieces.

yes WE.I want it too!

Its kind of like inserting a trainglular shaped godet into the center of the panel but...all in the panel piece. not a seperate cut piece.

sounds so simple....

and I wish it was
inserting space inside a panel piece is a monster job. and No I don't understand fully why its so hard.

But Ill tel you how I work around it.

I add extra paper to the "straight side" of the panel.
Figure the result from the other side by drawing a lien down form hip or whatever pivot point was used to hem lightly with a pencil.
measrue from that point to the edge fo the flare at stich hem line.

/__| and then mark on the added paper that same distance out from the stitch hem line up to the identical pivot point level and draw a stitch line, then add seam allowance on.

|___\

grain is now straight.
garment hangs beautifully.

I have a wish list which includes improving these flares.
Plus
making an entire collection maybe just 15-20 items really using designs based on true bias.....and charging a hundred bucks for it.its gonna be a monster to figure the many variable stretch factors of bias

will we ever get to the bias collection.... maybe.its not on this year's schedule.....at least not right now. ( and Oh yea.we do plan ahead!!!!!!!)

but princess flare is way up there on my fix list.has been for some time...

Oh btw when a pattern overlaps on screen try reducing flare just 1-2-maybe 3 degrees...YOUR chart is widening the flare hem circumference all ready established a bit more than the test versions.the flare surplice dress was fixed in testing but not quite far enough for some charts. It is reported on on the fix list for next update!

Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kaaren Hoback:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by LindaF:

The princess flare dress being deliberately drafted so that they grain goes off bias on the side panels is a pattern drafting error.

ah one of my favorite topics the pricness flare, the panel flare, any split pattern piece flare.

We want what can be done with scissors in seconds....slice up from ehm to flare point,seperate and add width in the now open space.

Equal flare to both sides of the panel piece and applied to all panel pieces.

yes WE.I want it too!

Its kind of like inserting a trainglular shaped godet into the center of the panel but...all in the panel piece. not a seperate cut piece.

sounds so simple....

and I wish it was
inserting space inside a panel piece is a monster job. and No I don't understand fully why its so hard.

But Ill tel you how I work around it.

I add extra paper to the "straight side" of the panel.
Figure the result from the other side by drawing a lien down form hip or whatever pivot point was used to hem lightly with a pencil.
measrue from that point to the edge fo the flare at stich hem line.

/__| and then mark on the added paper that same distance out from the stitch hem line up to the identical pivot point level and draw a stitch line, then add seam allowance on.

|___\

grain is now straight.
garment hangs beautifully.

I have a wish list which includes improving these flares.
Plus
making an entire collection maybe just 15-20 items really using designs based on true bias.....and charging a hundred bucks for it.its gonna be a monster to figure the many variable stretch factors of bias

will we ever get to the bias collection.... maybe.its not on this year's schedule.....at least not right now. ( and Oh yea.we do plan ahead!!!!!!!)

but princess flare is way up there on my fix list.has been for some time...

Oh btw when a pattern overlaps on screen try reducing flare just 1-2-maybe 3 degrees...YOUR chart is widening the flare hem circumference all ready established a bit more than the test versions.the flare surplice dress was fixed in testing but not quite far enough for some charts. It is reported on on the fix list for next update!

Kaaren

Ok, maybe it's me but I don't know where your words starts and the person you are replying to end? I do know however that my time is just as valuable as anyone elses, please post so I can read it with out a cereal box decoder.

Now what's the work around?

Andrea

Andrea Lepley
Page Long
Autumn Brooke Fine Dressmaking
abdressmaking@sbcglobal.net
DS Pro, Fit Tool, FD 1&2, essential lingerie, Princess Tool

Posts: 8 | Registered: 13 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Rose Marie>
posted
[/QUOTE]This is how this garment group has always drafted.

It is something many of the designers have desired to change for a long time.

Its being reviewed fairly soon. But no promises when....
Kaaren[/QUOTE]

I just went back to look at the gored skirt which I made in January? February? and I remembered that on one of the pattern pieces it said to used that pattern piece *IF* you wanted the fabric on grain. (Don't we all if we want a fine looking garment?) That pattern piece looks like an inverted ice cream cone with the tip snipped off. Could this pattern piece be "grafted" to the princess flared side panels to correct the flare problem? I understand that sometimes I may want to do some hand adjusting to a pattern, but I would prefer that the pattern be a good starting point instead of need ing adjustment just to get everything on grain. Just thinking out loud.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My reply starts with a quote and a distinct pale quote line.
Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

posted Hide Post
Every ds pattern peice drafts "on the fly" for each garment and design.

There is no "set already in there ready to be modified piece.

So the answer is...not that method.

Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

posted Hide Post
quote:
sounds so simple....

and I wish it was

Obviously it has been done, by another company. If you check out Wild Ginger's Click & Sew's 9101 (by the way is only $25) it does correctly add the flare and the correct grain lines to the princess. The pattern piexes are also able to be selected individually in their layout tool.

What this is, is a programming issue. Rather than drafting the pieces individually, it drafts them in pairs. It's the same reason the panels can't be seperated in the layout tool. Shortcut in programming that literally became a disaster for most of us who tried to use the pattern.

I'm not ready to invest in another program after spending the kind of money I have on this one. I would just like it to work.

Sue

Dress Shop Pro Fashion Designer Suite Version 6.13
Fashion Designer 1
Fashion Designer 2
Activewear II
Spring & Summer 2005 Collection
Men's Essential Collection
Sew Quick Summer Casuals
Dress Shop Fit Tool
Dress Shop Princess Designer
Dress Shop Illusions - Patterns for Real People
Dress Shop Ultimate Pants
Addon #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13, #14
All pattern sets through 1044 as well as #1045, #1046, #1047, #1048, #1049, #1050

Posts: 12 | Location: Torrance, CA | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
My reply starts with a quote and a distinct pale quote line.
Kaaren

those lines for some reason aren't making it into the posts visible to us on the forum site or in the emails that are being delivered to us

are you using the Reply screen on the Groupee Forum? When I highlight something in the post and hit the reply button at the bottom of the screen the quoted material is set off for me automatically

maybe you've figured out a way to post directly from your email but I have to be signed on to Groupee to post a reply Confused Confused Confused

DSPro 6.14 (w/patch a) ... Fashion Designer 1&2, Fit Tool, Princess Designer
Activewear II, Spring/Summer 2005, Illusions, Ultimate Outerwear, Ultimate Pants
Add-Ons 1-14, Pattern Sets 1044-46, 1049-52
Windows XP

Posts: 126 | Location: Ohio, USA | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sue Abruscato:
quote:
sounds so simple....

and I wish it was

Obviously it has been done, by another company. If you check out Wild Ginger's Click & Sew's 9101 (by the way is only $25) it does correctly add the flare and the correct grain lines to the princess. The pattern piexes are also able to be selected individually in their layout tool.

What this is, is a programming issue. Rather than drafting the pieces individually, it drafts them in pairs. It's the same reason the panels can't be seperated in the layout tool. Shortcut in programming that literally became a disaster for most of us who tried to use the pattern.

I'm not ready to invest in another program after spending the kind of money I have on this one. I would just like it to work.

Sue

Don't think I could have said it better...

Except for the another program part...I don't like being "spat on and told it's raining".

Andrea Lepley
Page Long
Autumn Brooke Fine Dressmaking
abdressmaking@sbcglobal.net
DS Pro, Fit Tool, FD 1&2, essential lingerie, Princess Tool

Posts: 8 | Registered: 13 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post