New
Find
Notify
Tools

update ?
 Login/Join

posted
Hi,
I read to allways save so i saved and i noticed it went to mpd now i cant find it and should it say DS 7.01 laurra

Posts: 104 | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
well i got version 7.01 but Its a little box showing at the left top hand corner of the screen. any suggestions laurra

Board Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
well i got version 7.01 but Its a little box showing at the left top hand corner of the screen. any suggestions laurra

This is the symptom that was occurring when IE7 first came out. But, it was presumably corrected when the DS7 patch was posted over a year ago and was also corrected in the update. There is a file in both the patch and in the current update called "DressShop.exe" that should be dated 10/21/2006. That file provided the correction that was needed. That file might not have been over-written during installation of the update for various reasons - I'll list a few that I know about below. But, in any case, if you have some older version of that file, then that is the problem and you need to reinstall the update to get that file updated.

Reasons I know (there may be others) that file would not have been updated:

1. Dress Shop was running when the update was installed. You MUST always shut Dress Shop down when installing Dress Shop updates.

2. Windows thought that file was in use, even though it was not. In that case, you need to reboot so Windows will forget about it.

3. You have a write-protected version of that file in your Dress Shop folder. Try manually deleting it. If you cannot delete it, then you cannot install an update successfully. If you do delete it, then it will be replaced when you reinstall the update.

4. The file on your system may be corrupted and cannot be over-written. Same story as #3. You must find some way to delete it. Or, try to rename it to something like Bad.exe so it will just be ignored.

All I can think of....

Board Administrator, Dress Shop App

Posts: 1868 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
YAY
I fixed it a couple of min ago. I know nothing about computers but was running 7.0 even though the DS sewing machine icon on the screen said 6.00 so I uninstalled the 7.01 update and had put a new master 7.0 download I still dont know why it is working correctly now.Its possible that it could not find a correct place because I did have more than one DS icon. The new DS icon is bright yellow.
I do like my DS patterns! It has mostly to do with the side seam control, a 8 inch side seam and the left over goes in the back.People talk about balancing, nonsense laurra MPD & DS

Board Administrator
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE] I fixed it a couple of min ago. /QUOTE]

However it happened, glad to hear you are running properly. All I can be sure of about computers and software is that I will never know enough. So, I'm always pleased when a problem is overcome without my having to fully understand it. Being certain I will never understand it all is one limitation that I know I will fall further and further short of as the years go by. Way to go, Laura!

Posts: 1868 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Board Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
I fixed it a couple of min ago. I know nothing about computers but was running 7.0 even though the DS sewing machine icon on the screen said 6.00 so I uninstalled the 7.01 update and had put a new master 7.0 download I still dont know why it is working correctly now.Its possible that it could not find a correct place because I did have more than one DS icon. The new DS icon is bright yellow.

I re-read this today and had a couple more comments to add:

1. The desktop shortcuts that run Dress Shop should not matter. They can be any color and any name and you can have number of them. All that matters is what they link to. That is, what program is run when you click on them. To check that, right click on an icon (you can do that with any desktop icon), select Properties, then click the "Shortcut" tab. In the "target" box, you should see "c:/Program Files/Livingsoft/DressShop/DressShop.exe". If that is there, then it will be launching the latest Dress Shop, regardless of what the icon or its label reads.

2. Livingsoft posted the Dress Shop 7.01 update on 1/3/2008. But, the full download master is still build 7.0. It has not yet been refreshed to the lastest release. We always wait a few days before updating the full master, in case there are any issues that need to be corrected. Having the prior master there makes it quick and easy to back up should that be desirable.

So, if you have installed the full master, you are not running the latest update and will not have access to the Winter 2008 Collection.

Just so you know....

posted Hide Post
I have a question about a backup for DS. Is there a way to backup the entire program onto a portable disk drive. If so how would you do it and will you be able to reinstall to hard drive if necessary?

Posts: 23 | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I download the full build direct to a external disk drive and don't open/install it until Im ready to use it. When I need to use it on a new/differnt computer I move/copy it into C drive then open to install.

Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Board Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a question about a backup for DS. Is there a way to backup the entire program onto a portable disk drive. If so how would you do it and will you be able to reinstall to hard drive if necessary?

I would not recommend doing this. You can protect all the files, but other things happen during installation that cannot be done by simply copying the files. The Windows system registry needs things registered so they work properly and that gets done by running an install file, not by simple copying.

To do a thorough backup, you can / should:

1. Save a copy of the most recent full CD master or download master obtained from the Livingsoft web site. Those can be copied freely and easily and when you run them again, they will install all the other files and setup the system registry properly. They also build a shortcut for your desktop. And, they will not over-write any of your Dress Shop personal files, including measurements, saved patterns, activations, and run time settings (page margins, whether to show left side or right side, grid on or off, tips spoken, displayed, or neither, that kind of stuff) that you choose as you use the program.

2. The one thing the install file does not protect are those personal files. You can back those up to any other driver or location freely and copy them back to your Dress Shop folder at any time and have them fully working as soon as you copy. Those files can be found in your root Dress Shop folder and they are:

a. MyDSMeasurements.txt - all measurement sets you have created.
b. MyDSSettings.txt - those run time settings I mentioned above.
c. MyDSActivations.cfg - all product activation codes you have ever entered or downloaded.
d. The folder MyPatterns and everything in it. That is the default location that personally modified patterns get stored. You may have chosen to store your patterns elsewhere. In any case, where-ever you may have stored them, do backup your saved patterns. They can, of course, be rebuilt from default DS patterns. But, it can be difficult to remember all the changes you did to get just what you wanted, so copying them may be easier.

None of these files is over-written by installing a Dress Shop master or update and none is removed by uninstalling Dress Shop. These are the files you want to take with you if you move Dress Shop to a new computer. All the other Dress Shop files can easily be obtained from the latest download master you have.

posted Hide Post
Yes I previewed my Winter 2008 collections in DS 7.01 Great work! I cant imagine the time for these updates to make happen. Have printed out the helpful suggestions and will order DS and MPD backup CD laurra

Board Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
will order DS and MPD backup CD laurra

Having a CD is certainly reassuring and eliminates some of the hassle of downloading. But, just in case you do have broad band Internet access, I should point out the other side of that question. Online master can be updated the instant a new version is developed. Sometimes that creates problems. But, those problems can also be corrected equally quickly.

CD masters, on the other hand, have lead time issues. First, the publisher must wait until it has a proven stable master. Then that is shipped off to a manufacturer for mass production. Those in turn are shipped back and placed in inventory for future sales. And, they generally stay there until they are near used up, at which time the process is repeated.

While this is the common process that any software maker goes through, it comes with some consequences. Online updates and downloadable masters may be more recent versions than their CD counterparts. In Livingsoft's case, CD sales are much less than online sales, so it takes longer to use up inventory. We could toss the old versions, but that comes with costs which must be added to the sales price.

Bottom line is - if you have broadband Internet access, downloadable updates and masters are cheaper (free) and will always be more recent than CD masters.

As long as you know that, they do both work...

posted Hide Post
Here is my question about the DS update 7.01...is the hood available for use on patterns other than the hoodie in the winter collection? I've tried to add it to several of the outerwear designs to no avail.

TIA

Ev Williams
williams.ev@gmail.com

Posts: 27 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Board Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Here is my question about the DS update 7.01...is the hood available for use on patterns other than the hoodie in the winter collection? I've tried to add it to several of the outerwear designs to no avail.

I just tried adding it to a boxy jacket and that appears to work. Which pattern did you try and in what way were you seeing it not work?

posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes, but as with any design element how well it works depends on which other selections are made ie which neck is selected. This likes a jewel type neck, and my sggestion is set it a little wider and a little deeper than true jewel.

Go to the blue tool bar, extras, select and check the Hood box, in the sub menu select "hoodie hood" and set to your over head measurement.
Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you...I forgot about the part where you select from the sub menu. I thought checking in the options was all that was necessary.

Ev Williams
williams.ev@gmail.com

Posts: 27 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post