Dress Shop Home Page    livingsoftnw.groupee.net    Discussion List  Hop To Forum Categories  Dress Shop App  Hop To Forums  Dress Shop Topics    need help QUICKLY with sloper
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

need help QUICKLY with sloper
 Login/Join

posted
Hi,

I'm hoping that someone out there can give me some fast advice about my sloper. My body has changed (not for the better) since the last time I had measurements done. I wasn't able to go to an "educator" (distance primarily) so a member of ASG did the measurements for me following the guide in the program. I made the sloper using the sloper pattern in DressShop 7.01. In general it is ok with the exception of the following;

I know I need to reduce the crotch front and add to the crotch back as it is a tad low in the back and a tad high in the front. This I did on the constructed sloper taking up a 3/4" seam horizontally across the front and realized I could add it to the back.

I took in the back waist with a vertical 1" seam/tuck at the center back on the waistband only.

I took in an extra 1 1/2" seam in the hip and thigh area tapering back to the 5/8" seam around the knee. Note, this adjustment occures 4 1/2 " below the mark of the waist.

Ok, my body is far less than ideal as I am a plus size fifty "ish" woman with a figure that can best described as a full figured rectangle. Definitely do not have a flat stomach. Looking at the mirror with the muslin fitted to my body wasn't a pleasant experience. Please no comments about diet/exercise.

My questions are which measurements do I alter? With the above modifications, the sloper fits fairly close-remember I am using the sloper pattern, not the close fitting pants. I want to make leggings and probably some lingerie that would require a close fit so I went with the slopers option instead of the bodice/pant option. I haven't tackled the bodice yet. Have to get the pants made this weekend.

I implore you, please advise me. TIA----Denise

Posts: 82 | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I made the sloper using the sloper pattern in DressShop 7.01. In general it is ok with the exception of the following;

I know I need to reduce the crotch front and add to the crotch back as it is a tad low in the back and a tad high in the front. This I did on the constructed sloper taking up a 3/4" seam horizontally across the front and realized I could add it to the back.

I took in the back waist with a vertical 1" seam/tuck at the center back on the waistband only.

I took in an extra 1 1/2" seam in the hip and thigh area tapering back to the 5/8" seam around the knee. Note, this adjustment occures 4 1/2 " below the mark of the waist.

I take it you are using the pant sloper rather than the slim fit pant.

For #2 taking in the back waist- increase the center back waist dart found in any pant pattern but not the sloper pattern.

You can do one of two things to change the length of pant front to back-
floor to waist conformed at center (front or back) changes the over all length of the pant and effects the rise.

Floor to waist back minus inseam = the rise at centers.

The crotch length must fit in the rise.
Crotch length determines both the vertical line of the crotch fork and the position of the curve "breaks" before heading into the extension.

I presume you mean the WAIST is a tad high in front and low in back - if that is the case you first need tro reduce the floor to waist front and increase the floor to waist back- then possibly reduce crotch length front and crotch length back.

IF its not hi/low at waist but the cuirve itself is high/low towards the inseam intersection and it is the curve that is breaking high in front and low in back just increase the front crotch length slightly and reduce back crotch length slightly.
see the gif graphic- it may help
Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

Imagepant_question.gif (12 Kb, 24 downloads) pant graphic

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I take it you are using the pant sloper rather than the slim fit pant.

That is correct

For #2 taking in the back waist- increase the center back waist dart found in any pant pattern but not the sloper pattern.

So I would increase the dart width by 1/4" to take in 1"?

You can do one of two things to change the length of pant front to back-
floor to waist conformed at center ( front or back) changes the over all length
floor to waist back minus inseam = the rise at centers.

The crotch length determines both the vertical line of the crotch fork and the position the curve "breaks" before heading into the extension.

I presume you mean the WAIST is a tad high in front and low in back - if that is the case you first need tro reduce the floor to waist front and icnrease the floor to waist back- then possibly reduce crotch length front and crotch length back.

If I am inferring correctly, the entire crotch seam, from front to back is controlled by the floor to waist measurement not the crotch length?

IF its not hi/low at waist but high/low towards the inseam intersection and it is the curve is breaking high front low back just increase frotn crotch length slightly and reduce back crotch length slightly.

The adjustment that is obvious on the muslin is to take off from the top center front and add to the top of the center back. So this is the floor to waist not the crotch length, correct?

I feel like the Scarecrow, "if only I had a brain...." TIA----Denise
see the gif graphic- it may help
Kaaren[/QUOTE]

posted Hide Post
quote:

So I would increase the dart width by 1/4" to take in 1"?

Let's say the number in the cbwd box reads 1.25 and you want to increase that to remove another inch. Change the number to 2.25

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The adjustment that is obvious on the muslin is to take off from the top center front and add to the top of the center back. So this is the floor to waist not the crotch length, correct?

Yes! Now please note a TINY adjustment to keep the crotch lengths balanced MAY also be needed - first do floor to waist conformed and look at the front and back pieces together to see the crotch U - IF the crotch extension begins to J hook or point downards in a kind of almond shape () at the bottom then you need to balance the crotch length-

patrns4u@aol.com

posted Hide Post

How would I alter this?????

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kaaren Hoback:
quote:

Yes! Now please note a TINY adjustment to keep the crotch lengths balanced MAY also be needed - first do floor to waist conformed and look at the front and back pieces together to see the crotch U - IF the crotch extension begins to J hook or point downards in a kind of almond shape () at the bottom then you need to balance the crotch length-

would I be able to see this on a 1/4 scale? Right now the crotch looks ok, longer shelf on the back, shorter in the front.

posted Hide Post
Fix the lengths first - you will be lifting the crotch in one position and droping it in another- I strongly suggest you go step by step rather than make this adjustment now as it may wind up too tight.

Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

posted Hide Post
quote:
would I be able to see this on a 1/4 scale? Right now the crotch looks ok, longer shelf on the back, shorter in the front.

Examining 1/4 scales takes a little practice and a good deal of focus.

I always print 1/4 scales and look with the hems at TOP of page and then focus on the various parts. If the shelf is longer in back as expected- whats the relationship to the curve? Is the curve now lower than before your change or higher, is it cutting in towards the outseam ? Do you have a pair of fitting pants that you can look inside of and make comparisons?

Most times - the only thing that works is make a sample and try it on.
K

patrns4u@aol.com

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kaaren Hoback:
Fix the lengths first - you will be lifting the crotch in one position and droping it in another- I strongly suggest you go step by step rather than make this adjustment now as it may wind up too tight.

Kaaren
ok, assuming that I have adjusted the lengths, and it is still too wide, ballooning around the lower hips and thighs, should I just take it in on the thight measurement? This makes the sloper fit closely when I pin it in otherwise it is really, really full around the thighs.----Denise

posted Hide Post
quote:
ok, assuming that I have adjusted the lengths, and it is still too wide, ballooning around the lower hips and thighs, should I just take it in on the thight measurement? This makes the sloper fit closely when I pin it in otherwise it is really, really full around the thighs.----Denise

I wish you were doing this in MPD- its a lot easier. We changed the drafting code quite a lot for arm holes and crotches in MPD. YOU CAN get where you want to go with DS but its not exactly "intuitive".

In DS you now need to adjust your body depth- whicxh creates the extensions between the legs. DS does not USE the thigh measurement for the sloper or the dress fit pants.ONLY for the slim fit pant and if the body depth is too long it will still blouse over the thighs. The body depth is frequently measured too loosely so step one, knock an ~ inch off what you think you need since you all ready know its too wide and try it- you need to balance the front and back extension lengths- and hee's a brand new theory that might work well for you- but its experimental the rosebud theory works pretty well.

This one is simpler
take 10% of hip front as front extension
subtract that amount from total body depth and the remainder is back extension.

IE: if body depth measures 7 and 10% or 11% of hip front(22 x 10%) is 2.2 then the back would be 7-2.2 or 4.8 that should be ball park.

IF the front thigh pulls with that short as extension increase it by 1/2 inch tests.

Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com