Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cut How Many?
 Login/Join

posted
Can anyone tell me how many pieces, one or two, of the front and back I must cut, of the Knife Pleat skirt pattern in Dress Shop? Sometimes a pattern will say, cut 1 on fold, or cut 2, but I can't find it on this pattern. I can't tell if either piece, front or back, should be cut on the fold. I should be able to figure it out but I haven't done pleats before! Thank you.

posted again, maybe I did it wrong the first time

Posts: 34 | Registered: 09 March 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine says cut on fold before printing the pattern. I have version 8 but should be the same on version 9 I would think

Posts: 16 | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Board Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Janet Baker:
Can anyone tell me how many pieces, one or two, of the front and back I must cut, of the Knife Pleat skirt pattern in Dress Shop? Sometimes a pattern will say, cut 1 on fold, or cut 2, but I can't find it on this pattern. I can't tell if either piece, front or back, should be cut on the fold. I should be able to figure it out but I haven't done pleats before! Thank you.

posted again, maybe I did it wrong the first time

Here is the answer I posted the when you asked before. I'll try to email it to you directly, in case you are not getting messages from the forum....

This is indeed a confusing pattern, done long before later standards regarding pleats and closure were developed. But, here's how this one works:

1. Both front and back pattern pieces will produce one half of that part of the skirt. So, you will need 2 of each.

2. The default pattern has front closure. So, that back pattern piece has no closure and is cut "on the fold". The thick dark vertical line on that pattern piece is the indicator of the fold line.

3. The default pattern has one inch pleats. When the pattern drafts, there will be 3" of fabric for each one inch pleat. The markings for the pleats are not overly clear, but that is how they work. Later patterns with pleats had different markings and arrows showing how to do the folds. This pattern was never updated to those later drafting standards.

4. The front button closure has some rather confusing lines to it. To get a better feel for the placket, go to the closure option dialog and select front zipper, back zipper, and no closure. When you see what is going on with the lines on that pattern, you can select the closure you actually want.

We are sorry that this old pattern has never been updated and hope these notes will help you get what you are looking for...

Posts: 1868 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post