Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are you sewing?
 Login/Join

posted
This will be my first test of the new discussion board.

What are you sewing this summer?

I made a shorts outfit (walking shorts and shell with sweetheart neckline). I embellished the neckline with pieces of ribbon. Very comfortable!

Next I made an outfit for my mother - fitted pants and an armhole princess top. I embellished the center front pieces with some decorative stitches, using a variegated cotton thread. I opened up the neckline for hot weather, then ended up drafting my own collar with a pencil since I couldn't get exactly what I wanted with the software. She loves it! And, of course, it fits her. It was a birthday gift and I didn't even try it on her before giving it to her.

My next outfit isn't finished yet. I got a very nice knit (fiber content unknown) the last time I was at Perth St. in Dallas. There is a vertical stripe in the knit. It's pretty drapey, so I made loose pants. The top isn't finished yet. I started with the fitted shirt. That way I can baste in all the darts and take out any that I don't like until I get the look I like best. It has an asymmetrical hem line, which I will cut off if I don't like it. I chose a vee neckline. For the collar, I cut two strips of fabric with a wavy line. They are about 6-8" wide and longer than they need to be. I plan to play with them (like a flounce) until I have a placement I like and cut off any excess fabric from the length and width. The techniques is hard to describe. but I have hopes that I will like the result.

I want something that is a little dressier than many of my clothes, with some (but not too much) shape, and a little "pizzazz" (but not too much).

Carolyn

Posts: 190 | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Tina>
posted
Carolyn, I just finished an assymetrical vest in black/white/red chinese design linen. used Black linen for the back and one side and the red linen for the assymetrical side. Made one seam pants out of the red linen as well. Piped the edges of the vest and lined it with a bold black/white stripe poly and embroidered a red flower design on the back and upper chest of the black side front...CUTE!

this is one of my outfits for my AdvancedDS Workshops...headed to Chicago tonorrow for two workshops.

Tina

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Made some halters (gathered neck design in purple butterfly seersucker and a tie-back style in patriotic fabric) for my daughter this weekend. With the weather, she really needed some lightweight tops for play. We are still playing with the design of the skirt she wants out of some glow-in-the-dark cat's eyes fabric we got on sale.

Kaaren, don't you wish you were out here where it has been 105 degrees in the shade? Wink

All the toys
WinXPk, 2GB RAM
Konica color laser, HP 750i and Canon 4550 printers

Posts: 5 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Elizabeth Pope>
posted
Making purple terry beach coat. heat index 105 here today--good day for the beach!!
Elizabeth

<VickiK>
posted
I am putting the finishing touches on a jacket and matching pants, made three quick knit shirts to go with them. I have a pair of shorts and a princess blouse printed out and ready to go when I finish the little details on the jacket.

posted Hide Post
I wish to make some shorts again,I bought some fabric yesterday on sale,3 lots actually lol.matching fabrics, the blouse is white background with blue,white and black floral design all over quite large actually.The shorts fabric is blue, so will blend nicely with the floral.Then i bought 5 meters of black drapey fabric,and a small amount of chinese design satin in reds,which I want to add to the black as an accent,I'm thinking of a dress empire waist, since I love that design it hides hills n valley's lol.All sorts of ideas flowing in my mind here on where to place that chinese fabric.

M.P.D4.Pro.MPD Tools
Collections-Spring- Summer-Fall- Winter-Jeans Machine.
Windows7Home Prem. IE10

Posts: 1535 | Location: Ontario. Canada | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've made two pair of pants, a jacket, and a princess top. I haven't been sewing for a long time due to my class schedule, but this summer I missed the registration deadline and wasn't allowed to register late. (Oh darn) So I decided to whip out as many outfits as I can this summer.

Dress Shop is the first sewing program that I've been able to get a pant pattern that fits and it only took 3 slopers (On my other sewing program I was on 9 and gave up).

I made the one seam pant and love them. My jacket was originally the wrap jacket but I liked it better left open (it hangs with sort of a "V" look at the hem)and since the fabric (rayon) is flowing you would never know it was a wrap jacket.....back to the machine now.

Posts: 10 | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Im not sewing for me .snifffffffff
Im testing the new quick sew, and have a headache from the old list bru ha haa

Thank you ladies.pattern making and sewing is what we are about!

Everyones "stuff" sounds so wonderful!

Carolyn I love the flounce idea!!!!! Yum

Ooooh an open wrap jacket....cooool

ahhhh so much better..thanks again!

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tina -
I sure hope you will post some pictures for us....sounds great!

Posts: 34 | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm having a lot of fun making cotton tops and blouses out of bright summer fabrics. Nothing fancy but I'm getting a chance to learn about the various collars and sleeves, as well as feeling more acquainted with my DS program (after 5 years!)

Posts: 86 | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I made two pants ( fitted ) and a shell with bell sleeves that I put elastic in the men, and a keyhole front with a red cord to tie the top of the keyhole. Huge colors!! It's fun to tell my students that " everything you see, I made ( except my shoes ). I even make my own purses.

Posts: 272 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have made some short sleeved men's dress shirts, pants slopers, and I am going to print a pajama pattern today as what I make for my first pants thing.
Bye

Posts: 113 | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<ValraLynn>
posted
Hi all, I'm currently working on a sleeveless, shoulder princess, squared neckline, silky dress for my 20 year old daughter. The fit is great! There's a wedding next week and the pressure is on to have it finished soon. So what am I doing on the computer? Just sharing my love of Dress Shop. I've had the program since before seam allowances (version 1.0, dos) and still love this program. I'm usually pretty quiet but with the latest changes, I thought it would be a good idea to speak up for this wonderful program. - Val

posted Hide Post
quote:
I made two pants ( fitted ) and a shell with bell sleeves that I put elastic in the men, and a keyhole front with a red cord to tie the top of the keyhole. Huge colors!! It's fun to tell my students that " everything you see, I made ( except my shoes ). I even make my own purses.

Kelly, Why not make your own shoes, too? Somewhere I have a link to a place where you can get all the instructions. It sounded interesting, but I don't have time for it.

Carolyn

Posts: 190 | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the link for the shoes is

http://www.marywalesloomis.com/index.html

Posts: 67 | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post