Dress Shop Home Page    livingsoftnw.groupee.net    Discussion List  Hop To Forum Categories  Dress Shop App  Hop To Forums  Dress Shop Topics    Advice on changes to Empire waist dress
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advice on changes to Empire waist dress
 Login/Join

posted
I am trying to design an empire waist dress with some changes added for a formal evening dress to wear while doing a lot of dancing. I can make the skirt 8 gore, full length, change the flare angle and change flare pivot, this makes a slinky type 8 gore skirt on the empire gown. What I want to add is godets to the skirt.
1. Is there any reason I could not use the same flare angle and flare pivot on a regular 8 gore full length skirt, and just use the godet pattern from it?
2. I also want to use an elbow length bell sleeve on the empire dress but add godets to the sleeve. The only way I can figure out is to reduce the cap ease, print the sleeve pattern, slice it into gores, pencil in seam allowances, and then make my own godet pattern. I would then seam the gored sections of the sleeve down from cap about 1 to 2 inches on each gore and then insert the godets. Next I would insert the sleeve normally. I would be using a somewhat thin silk as the main material and a silk organza in the godets, so I don't think the cap would be too thick.

Does this sound feasible? Any comments or help would be appreciated.

I have Dress Shop Pro 7.0.1, Illusions, Ultimate Outerware, Essential Lingerie, Ultimate Pants, Pattern set #1052, Men's Essential collection, MPD Pro 1.08

This message has been edited. Last edited by: foxden,

Posts: 32 | Registered: 13 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The gored skirt is not currently included with the empire dress as this skirt drafts to the waist not to the underbust. You would have to make some manual adjustments to a printed gored skirt to raise the waist of the skirt.

A godet's may be added anywhere using the "vent" option tool. Select godet and define the height and width.

Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dress Shop 7.01 does allow the gored skirt with empire waist dress. However, when I went back and checked the pattern with my dress shop, I could see that the empire waist dress with gored skirt was not drafting correctly. The length of the skirt was correct to go from underbust to floor, but the width of the gore was too wide at underbust (almost double what should be.) Maybe Dress Shop should be checked to not enable the gored skirt with empire waist, since it does not draft correctly. I had been playing with the design to try and get the pattern I wanted, and had not got to the point where I checked that it was drafting correctly. Did not try MPD at that time.
Dress Shop Pro 7.0.1, Illusions, Ultimate Outerware, Essential Lingerie, Ultimate Pants, Pattern set #1052, Men's Essential collection, MPD Pro 1.08

Posts: 32 | Registered: 13 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post