Dress Shop Home Page    livingsoftnw.groupee.net    Discussion List  Hop To Forum Categories  Dress Shop App  Hop To Forums  Dress Shop Topics    Making a dress form using the torso sloper
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Making a dress form using the torso sloper
 Login/Join

posted
Hi, all.....

Something I would love to have is a dress form. Looking at the prices of the better ones...well, they're quite a bit beyond my budget. So, I got the idea of making up the torso sloper (probably without sleeves) and stuffing it.

Has anyone out there done this? If so, what challenges did you encounter?

Many thanks!

Posts: 36 | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry Barb,
I haven't gone this route. I still have an original foam model
made from plaster cast & outgrown. I cut off some of the torso and bust, leaving the shoulders then overlaid it with duct tape torso and stuffed the differences - slashing and re-stitching to get the padding in. Next one will be
the paper tape type if the sticky hasn't died of old age, and I can stand up long enough for the DH to tape me.

Unfortunately the person with the best info would be Don McCunn, who has retired from teaching, and whose class website is unavailable to me, probably because there is a newer one being setup. He still has his introduction up on YouTube, with some reminders of why it can be difficult (but not impossible) to go this route.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...t=PLDCAF15E0E4969398

If you can't get the video easily, there are a number of programs that will allow you to convert and download so you can view seamlessly.

He is still working on having his ebooks up on new website, but the body double is not one yet:
http://pattern-design-guides.deofsf.com/

Hope this helps.

Helen M
Sth Australia
DS9 Pro
Ultimate Outerwear,
Ultimate Pants.
Add Ons 1 - 14,
Pattern Sets 1044,1046, 1049,1050. & other.
Autumn 2009
Ultimate Lingerie & Loungewear '23

Windows 11 x64 Pro
Canon IX6860

Posts: 77 | Location: Australia | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi,

I am trying to remember whether it was Threads or Sew News Magazine that printed an article about making your own dress form using the sloper from DS.

Some of the DS members have actually done this very thing. They made a sloper and stuffed it. Again, it's been a long time since this was done but it worked for a couple of them.

I am unable to reply on the regular Groupee site for some reason. My e-mail addy is kstephens@hot.rr.com if you want to try and contact me.

You can also search the magazines archives for more information about the dress form. And I think there may have been a series of messages from other DS users with actual instruction.

Or maybe the instructions that Kaaren issued so long ago may still be available. Sure do miss that gal.

Good luck, hope this reaches you.

Take Care and Happy Trails,
Katherine in Waco

Posts: 15 | Registered: 26 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a PDF on how to make a Mini Mannequin. Kaaren provided it during one of her classes. I would be glad to send you a copy. You can also do a search on google for utube how to make mannequins with duct tape. I remember several people had success doing that.
Rena Evans

Posts: 132 | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post