Dress Shop Home Page    livingsoftnw.groupee.net    Discussion List  Hop To Forum Categories  Dress Shop App  Hop To Forums  Dress Shop Topics    Measurement question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Measurement question
 Login/Join

posted
I am returning to sewing after a very long time. I just downloaded DS into my computer and was filling in my measurements. I can not find information on Dress Waist Offset and Dart Center Offset. I have looked in the measurement and manual information but do not find where and how to take these two measurements. I am going to have to completely relearn the program and all of its changes. But I am looking forward to starting.

Thanks for assistance

Katherine in Waco

Posts: 15 | Registered: 26 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Granam:
I am returning to sewing after a very long time. I just downloaded DS into my computer and was filling in my measurements. I can not find information on Dress Waist Offset and Dart Center Offset. I have looked in the measurement and manual information but do not find where and how to take these two measurements. I am going to have to completely relearn the program and all of its changes. But I am looking forward to starting.

Thanks for assistance

Katherine in Waco
All i do is place a zero in those items, and let the program do it for me.Smiler)

Posts: 1535 | Location: Ontario. Canada | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Board Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am returning to sewing after a very long time. I just downloaded DS into my computer and was filling in my measurements. I can not find information on Dress Waist Offset and Dart Center Offset. I have looked in the measurement and manual information but do not find where and how to take these two measurements.

These two are not actually measurements, but rather optional patter adjustments that some customers need and prefer, but many others do not use at all. If you click on the entry field for each number, a Mia picture illustrating where it has an effect will be shown, as well as a brief (very) description of what each is for.

When I forget how a measurement works, the first thing I do is draft a relevant pattern and enter a number and see what happens. In this case, these measurements relate to dress waist fit, so I would draft a sheath. Print out a quarter scale pattern and set it aside. Now, enter 5" for each of the measurements in question, one at a time and print quarter scale patterns for them as well. You should be able to spot what is going on.

But, to answer your question, the "Dress Waist Offfset" number will move up or down the location of the dress waist position in the side seam. Why? Because for some people, the "waist" location for pants (where the pants waistline should sit on the body) may be different from the "waist" location for a dress (the narrowest part of the dress). For others (most), this location is the same and the Dress Waist Offset should be zero.

Similarly, the "Dart Center Offset" will move the position of the maximum dart intake up or down as preferred. Why is that separate? Because of the shape of the stomach and abdomen, some customers prefer their waist intake to occur in the front (dart location) rather than at the sides (side seam location). Someone else would have to comment on how these work differently. But, that is what the numbers do.

When measuring, just set them both to zero. If you are adjusting the fit of a dress and wish to shift the waist shaping intake up or down, then you can try small amounts for these two numbers to tune the fit to your own preferences.

Board Administrator, Dress Shop App

Posts: 1868 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey, that is really cool. Thanks everyone for the assist on both measurement problems and posting problems. It is sppreciated.

Take Care and Happy Trails,

Katherine in Waco

Posts: 15 | Registered: 26 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post