Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

baby things
 Login/Join

posted
Hello! I'm a new grandma! There are measurements for 3-6 month olds in measurements, but are there any special baby patterns? I can't see any in the Store, or in Patterns. If there aren't any patterns, do the women's patterns 'scale down' for baby things? Thank you!

Posts: 34 | Registered: 09 March 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats grammie!! some women's patterns will scale down to make age appropriate garments. all will scale but some just arent styled to infants. Check the closures menu options we do have button tabs for shoulders.

You need to let your imagination out to play.
Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay, so I take it that (1) there aren't any patterns specifically for tiny ones but that (2) many of the patterns will scale down appropriately, and the shoulder button tab closure will help. Thank you so much! I'm crocheting eensy little sweaters too. So fun!

posted Hide Post
Hi, Kaaren,

I've been fighting with the armhole and sleeve on a scaled down blouse; the armhole seems terribly small, and the sleeve only a little less so. At first I was doubting that it 'scaled down' right, but now I am thinking that in fact it did scale down mathematically correctly, but the resulting opening would not be the most forgiving to get a 3 month older's arm in the sleeve, and it's that standard against I am making the judgement of 'too small.' Why don't you select the 3-6 month measurements and then put them with the wrap blouse, and look at the armhole in the resulting pattern. You can see the one on the back is funny. Did it scale down 'correctly'? (mathematically speaking?)

If so, how would a person account for that and change it to a bigger armhole ? (That is, can it be done by changing a measurement? As a way to 'trick' the pattern into accommodating such a small wiggly person?)

posted Hide Post
You do not have to change a measurement to get what YOU want. use the Options> fit//ease menu and add armhole ease ( depth) and maybe bicep ease.

Adults slide their arms into armholes fairly easily, while an infants arm is lifted into place by their dresser...

Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep! As I recall from my four, you need a generous target! Will adjust the ease next time, and possibly the bicep (sleeve seems fine in that area, though).