Dress Shop Home Page    livingsoftnw.groupee.net    Discussion List  Hop To Forum Categories  Dress Shop App  Hop To Forums  Dress Shop Topics    saved patterns and future drafting
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

saved patterns and future drafting
 Login/Join

posted
Question -- when we design/save a pattern in one build ... and then update ... and call up our saved pattern ...

it drafts/prints to the new build, correct?

I'm thinking that while I'm waiting for a patch or an entirely new update to address issues in 6.10 I could be designing and saving but waiting to print until fixes are available.

Is that correct?

DSPro 6.14 (w/patch a) ... Fashion Designer 1&2, Fit Tool, Princess Designer
Activewear II, Spring/Summer 2005, Illusions, Ultimate Outerwear, Ultimate Pants
Add-Ons 1-14, Pattern Sets 1044-46, 1049-52
Windows XP

Posts: 126 | Location: Ohio, USA | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, Gayle, that is the intent. - Diane

Posts: 221 | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, Gayle, that is the intent. - Diane

Then,that would also mean that just because you drafted/printed the ideal garment in the past, it may be different today depending upon fixes and changes to the drafting code.

Hmm, I wasn't saving my paper patterns since I could always print another one. Guess it's time to create a storage system that works for me.

DSPro 6.14 (w/patch a) ... Fashion Designer 1&2, Fit Tool, Princess Designer
Activewear II, Spring/Summer 2005, Illusions, Ultimate Outerwear, Ultimate Pants
Add-Ons 1-14, Pattern Sets 1044-46, 1049-52
Windows XP

Posts: 126 | Location: Ohio, USA | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yes

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wasn't saving my paper patterns since I could always print another one. Guess it's time to create a storage system that works for me.[/QUOTE]

Gayle, I started using a "system" that is working very well for me. I take each pattern piece and punch a hole near the top (centerish). On larger pieces, I fold them in half once first and then punch my hole. At Joann's I bought a pack of gold quilter's pins. (Yes, regular big safety pins would work, but the gold is a little smile to me, plus they're large and sturdy.) I place the pattern pieces on the safety pin (through the holes) with a copy of the stapled pattern summary and 25% scales (all with a hole punched near the top) as the last item before I close the pin. Then I use the nice clean white wire hangers that my husband's shirts come back from the dry cleaners on. I slip the large gold safety pin over the top of the wire hanger and the pattern is all set to store. Doesn't take up much space and when I want to use a pattern, it's really easy to slip the pin off the hanger and have all the pieces together. As I use them to cut a new garment, I slip them back on the gold pin. HTH Cool

Linda in VA

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Linda in WV,

Posts: 86 | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
pack of gold quilter's pins. (Yes, regular big safety pins would work, but the gold is a little smile to me, plus they're large and sturdy.)

Some good ideas -- Thanks, Linda. I like to buy things to make me smile, too. I save those for the 50% off sales and then my smile is even bigger!

Gayle

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gayle:
quote:
pack of gold quilter's pins. (Yes, regular big safety pins would work, but the gold is a little smile to me, plus they're large and sturdy.)

Some good ideas -- Thanks, Linda. I like to buy things to make me smile, too. I save those for the 50% off sales and then my smile is even bigger!

Gayle

A similar idea I use. I get the cheap metal shower curtain hooks (Dollar store)that "unpin"; punch my holes, and hang on a cheap metal towel rod I have attached high to the wall behind the door. I have one under a high overhanging bookshelf as well. You can put many patterns on an 18" rod, and just slide them along to find the one you want - unhook and there you are! Ruth K.

Ottawa, Canada - DSPro 6.092, FD 1&2,Princ. Designer, Illusions, Ult. Pants & Outerwear, Add ons 1-14.
XP 2,IE6, Canon MP700.

Posts: 8 | Location: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
a suggestion - buy some reinforcements at the stationary supply, the little round circles we use to reinforce 3 hole punched paper. That will keep pattern pieces from tearing where you punch the hole.

Posts: 473 | Registered: 11 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wasn't saving my paper patterns since I could always print another one. Guess it's time to create a storage system that works for me.

Good idea! Another tip - In a blank space on your printed pattern pieces you might want to write the DS build number and date the pattern is printed. Good reference when later questioning yourself. :-)
Diane

Posts: 221 | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've just started writing on the patterns the fabric I used to make the garment. I often fiddle around with ease and length particularly when making shirts. That way I have a ready reference as to which shirt was made with the pattern and I can easily check if its the fit I want .
I make the "yellow floral princess" a lot. I write on all the pieces and put them together in a plastic pocket and store them in a filing cabinet. All blouses together, all dresses,pants etc.
I've tried the other methods with coathangers, rings etc but this way my (small) sewing room is a bit less cluttered and the patterns stay in better shape. One day I will transfer the most used patterns to interfacing but for now the paper is fine, doesn't take long to smooth out the creases. I've become more and more convinced that when you get a pattern the way you want it HANG ON TO IT. Doesn't matter what build its from if it fits keep using it.

DS 7 Standard
Addons 3, 5,9,10 & 14
Sets 1008,1019,1032,1045 & 1052
MPD Pro 1.04
Home Dec Sampler

Posts: 13 | Location: Melbourne,Australia | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DianeDay:
Another tip - In a blank space on your printed pattern pieces you might want to write the DS build number and date the pattern is printed.

Actually both these are already printed on the pattern. It not only puts the date but also the time in minutes AND seconds .
I really appreciate the time when we're playing with sloper fittings and tweaking measurements.

Tessa
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DS Deluxe
v6.13 on desktop
v6.09 on laptop

Posts: 141 | Location: Edmonton, Canada | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Liz C>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Gayle:

Then,that would also mean that just because you drafted/printed the ideal garment in the past, it may be different today depending upon fixes and changes to the drafting code.

Hmm, I wasn't saving my paper patterns since I could always print another one. Guess it's time to create a storage system that works for me.

If you have MS Office, another option is to print your pattern to MS Office Document Image Writer. This creates a copy of what would be printed in a file, with a .mdi extension. You can then print this file whenever and as often as you like. You also have the option of adding notes to the printout in the same way that you might write on a paper pattern.

One thing to watch, though, is that when you print your mdi file, you set it to print actual size. I think it defaults to 'fit page' which, in my case, reduces the scale slightly. You can always check by printing 1 page and measuring the grid squares.

If you haven't got Office, you could probably use a postscript file in a similar way but that gets a bit more complicated. I've done it in the past but now I have Office, I haven't used it for ages and I would have to do a bit of tracking to remember how to set it up.

Hope That helps - personally I hate paper copies of anything - even single page copies let alone taped up, multi-page patterns!

Cheers, Liz

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Liz C>,

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Something else I've found useful with other pattern (I'm still learing dress shop) - I tape, or staple, an actual piece of the fabric to the pattern and to the pattern summary that I keep in a binder (my age is showing, I'm a "paper person"). I could end up with 3 or 4 fabric samples on a pattern piece, but they are just little, and they tell me right away which clothing item was made from that pattern.

Posts: 473 | Registered: 11 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also paste / tape a piece of the fabric I used on the pattern so I know at a glance "the purple flowered blouse was made with this pattern."

Posts: 67 | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you have MS Office, another option is to print your pattern to MS Office Document Image Writer. This creates a copy of what would be printed in a file, with a .mdi extension. You can then print this file whenever and as often as you like. You also have the option of adding notes to the printout in the same way that you might write on a paper pattern.

I have Office, but don't know how to print to the Image Writer. Can you tell us how this is done?

Does something have to be set up first?

Does it print the same size as the original?
Confused Confused
(I know, lots of questions.)

Thanks

Posts: 190 | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post