Find
Notify
Tools

Patch Has A Virus?
 Login/Join

Board Administrator
posted
quote:
A number of people on the other list have also reported that their Anti Virus program found the same W32.Pinfi virus.

Actually two people posted about detecting a virus and 6 posted that they did not detect the virus, using the exact same virus scanner. How can that be? Easy. The virus is not in the downloaded file, it was added afterwards.

The patch has no virus. The users reporting hte problem have another infection, such as a worm or trojan that is installing the virus in files that it recognizes. This happens to common standard file types, such as the WinZip files that the patch comes in.

Removing the virus does no good if the worm or trojan is still there installing fresh copies of the virus as it finds other files to install them into. You need to get rid of the worm or trajan. Try upgrading your virus scanner and see if you can solve the real problem.

In the meantime, those that are not infected with the worm or trojan are not going to get infected from the patch file from Livingsoft. It is clean. Your system may not be.

Board Administrator, Dress Shop App

Posts: 1868 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Diana Lemon>
posted
I beg to differ with your reply.
I had just had everything on my computer checked out before getting the download. Here is the quote from my Norton anti virus:
DATE: 8/18/2005 4:44:00AM, FEATURE:Auto-Protect,
Threat Name: W32.Pinfi, Action taken: Repaired, Item Type: File Source: Documents and settings\Diana\LocalSettings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\MBR4LPTO\DS6_11_patch[1}.exe Click for more information about this threat: W32.Pinfi
Now PLEASE tell me why it could not be in the download. I am not going to install the download until I hear a reasonable explination as to why more than 2 are reporting a virus in this download.
Diana Lemon

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Where do you get the patch? I checked the forum and the last one I see is 6.11.
Thanks

Edie

Posts: 11 | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Board Administrator
posted Hide Post
Ok Folks,

I have copied the Update 6.11 down from our site. I have scanned it with ComputerAssociates InnoculateIT - Clean, I have scanned it with CA Anti-Virus and it's clean, I have scanned it with AVG and it's clean, Bob has scanned it with Norton Anti-Virus (same version as reported) and it's clean.

Results: It's clean. The .exe on our site does NOT contain any viruses. I really appreciate that this was brought to our attention because as I said, we do care to keep a safe and clean environment. Worms and viruses are tricky things, but you can safely download the update.

Greg Hightower

Board Administrator, Dress Shop App

Posts: 1868 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sure you can think you have a clean machine, but not all virus scanners can pick up all worms. My son told me that some you can only find if you do a scan in safe-mode on windows, and use an online scanner like housecall.trendmicro.com. Some worms can hide from virus scanners if your machine was infected before you downloaded the new definitions, and then they can only be found by doing a scan in safemode.
If you have an undetected work on your system, it will infect files as soon as you download them.

Marianne Gallant
Win xp sp2, all livingsoft software, latest versions.
www.yarnshop.ca

Posts: 10 | Location: Vernon, BC Canada | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post