Dress Shop Home Page    livingsoftnw.groupee.net    Discussion List  Hop To Forum Categories  Dress Shop App  Hop To Forums  Dress Shop Topics    New 6.11 build unavailable
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New 6.11 build unavailable
 Login/Join

posted
Greg,
Do you know that as of 5.09 p.m. EST that when you go to install the new build you get a little popup window from microsoft that says that the build is unavailable and to try again later.

Can you tell me why I could be getting this. Are there alot of use trying to get to this build?
Thanks,
Linda Flint

Posts: 139 | Location: New York | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Nancy>
posted
Linda -
It was working earlier, but now it is not available. Must be a server or website glitch.

Nancy

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the popup is intentional to stop users downloading it for a while.
There is probably some last minute thing Bob wants to correct or add in. If he lets us all download it and there is a little snag, he will later have to issue patches and we all hate those.

My Mom used to say... "Patience is a virtue,..." Smiler so that's what I'm telling myself.

Tessa

Posts: 141 | Location: Edmonton, Canada | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<DressShopBob>
posted
quote:

I think the popup is intentional to stop users downloading it for a while.
There is probably some last minute thing Bob wants to correct or add in. If he lets us all download it and there is a little snag, he will later have to issue patches and we all hate those.

Yes, it was intentional. PeggySue found a problem with some patterns that were unrelated to this update and we decided to fix those as well. I did a quick fix, tested it, pulled the update, and sent the change off to be remastered. I thought it would take 15 - 20 minutes, but I have not heard back from Craig (he builds and tests the InstallShield masters), so we're on hold till he gets it posted.

Shouldn't take long...

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DressShopBob:
Yes, it was intentional. PeggySue found a problem with some patterns that were unrelated to this update and we decided to fix those as well. I did a quick fix, tested it, pulled the update, and sent the change off to be remastered. I thought it would take 15 - 20 minutes, but I have not heard back from Craig (he builds and tests the InstallShield masters), so we're on hold till he gets it posted.

Shouldn't take long...

Thank you Bob. Does this mean that those people who downloaded earlier today, say before 5:00 p.m. est, the 6.11 new update should plan on updating it again after you release it again?

Posts: 139 | Location: New York | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<DressShopBob>
posted
quote:

Thank you Bob. Does this mean that those people who downloaded earlier today, say before 5:00 p.m. est, the 6.11 new update should plan on updating it again after you release it again?

Maybe. We got the update refreshed and it is now available. The problem that PeggySue found related to the Slinky Hanky Blouse (hemline was not right). I found and fixed it and sent it off to remaster. I neglected to test all the other hanky patterns to see which others might have shown the problem. If it was just a few hanky blouses, then I would not suggest you bother getting the update over again. The next update will have the fix, too and those patterns are not frequently used.

But, if other hanky patterns had faulty hemlines, then you will have to decide if you care about that. There are always open items, issues that we have not yet looked at or not yet figured out. Whether they are important enough to you to justify getting a fresh download is hard for me to say.

If you do want this correction, you will need to uninstall the most recent update, download a fresh copy, the reinstall it. Not a big deal, but why bother if you are not going to be making a hanky hem pattern within the next month or so.

Your call....

posted Hide Post
quote:
If you do want this correction, you will need to uninstall the most recent update, download a fresh copy, the reinstall it. Not a big deal, but why bother if you are not going to be making a hanky hem pattern within the next month or so.

Does this mean that testers need to uninstall the latest beta test version?

Thanks

Posts: 190 | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
nope the beta builds were numbered differently.so you can install this on top of them.

Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

Carolyn

Posts: 190 | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<DressShopBob>
posted
quote:

Does this mean that testers need to uninstall the latest beta test version?

No. Beta test builds were delivered as WinZip files. You can install a fresh update on top of that without any conflict.

Updates are InstallShield files. Much better installation support, with protection from going to the wrong folder, and it can fix the system registry, which WinZip cannot. But, InstallShield does come with one disadvantage. Once you install a build, InstallShield will save you from installing it again. So, if you installed the 6.11 update file, then to reinstall it, you must first uninstall it.

Again, this does NOT apply to the WinZip files that we use while beta testing. They can be installed on top of each other over and over with no protection of any kind.