Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

measurements gone
 Login/Join

posted
Hi. I downloaded the new version, and my measurements are gone. I went to Import Measurements (because Load was empty and also I thought I remembered that instruction with the other update instructions, but maybe I remembered wrong!)and did what it said to do, and got the OK screen that the move of measurements had been done, there were now two files in Load, one called 2011, the other default. The 2011 one is empty. I followed the directions to change the settings in file, but what is filled in there is actually already where the files are on my C drive. But the program isn't finding them. The advice to re-download doesn't mention a measurements problem, but should I re-download?

Posts: 34 | Registered: 09 March 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What operating system are you using. if its XP or earlier the old measurement file is found at
C: Program files> Livingsoftnw>Dress Shop>DS>MyMeasurements

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Board Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
What operating system are you using. if its XP or earlier the old measurement file is found at:

Some of the other cases are odder and it is the third and fourth cases that our installer may not catch properly. And, if those sound like your system, be sure to read to the very end of this note for directions about how to find those folders!

The other cases are:

1. Vista or Windows 7, administrator account, 32 bit computer. This one is the same as WinXP:

2. Vista or Win7, administrator account, 64 bit computer:

C: Program files (x86)> Livingsoftnw>Dress Shop>DS>MyMeasurements

3. Vista or Win7, user account, 32 bit computer, and you told it to run Dress Shop as an administrator. In this case, your personal data files are probably here:

c:\Users\<your name>/AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Livingsoft\DressShop\

4. Vista or Win7, user account, 64 bit computer, and you told it to run Dress Shop as an administrator. In this case, your personal data files are probably here:

c:\Users\<your name>/AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Livingsoft\DressShop\

Final note: The AppData folder is a hidden system folder. To even find it, you have run Windows Explorer (same as My Computer and NOT Internet Explorer). Press the ALT key to get the main menu options. Open the Tools menu and look for "Folder Options". Select that and look down the list. Uncheck anything that says "Hide ..." this that or the other. In particular, I think it is the "Don't show hidden system files" or wording like that. Uncheck that and Windows may let you see where these hidden shadown folders are.

These hidden files in the hidden folders happen if you were using a User Account rather than an administrator account at some point in your working with Dress Shop. In that case, Windows puts any files you create into these hidden shadow folders so you (a lowly user) cannot mess them up. Only an administrator is supposed to get access to such things.

Board Administrator, Dress Shop App

Posts: 1868 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Board Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
The advice to re-download doesn't mention a measurements problem, but should I re-download?

If your measurement files are hidden, the problem is Windows hiding files. Re-downloading and installing will not help with that....

Posts: 1868 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Board Administrator
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I copied the pathname that was posted earlier without reading it carefully enough. The default case (WinXP and 32 bit Admin accounts on Vista and Win7) would be:

C:/Program Files/Livingsoft/DressShop/MyMeasurements

Any personal pattern files should be in:
C:/Program Files/Livingsoft/DressShop/MyPatterns

posted Hide Post
1. When I go to Load Measurements in Size, there are two files listed, Default, and 2011. If I click on 2011, there are no files listed--it's empty. (I got those two files when I did step 2 below. If I do it again, I get those two files again, still empty.)

2. In the Size menu, if I go Import Measurements, I get the message below, to which I click OK because in fact the address listed is where the files are when I check in My Computer in C drive, and besides is also the address listed in my File/Settings screen:

"This will import your prior Dress Shop measurements. If your prior Dress Shop is not at C:\Program Files\Livingsoft\DressShop\use the File ->Settings dialogue to set the correct path. Continue?" (I click Okay. But the files don't get found.)

In File Settings, and also listed on my C drive, where you can see the actual files, the file listed is just what I believe is exactly what is should be:

C:\Program Files\Livingsoft\DressShop\

4. But there are no measurements in my Load measurements screen.

5. I am operating my system in a virtual machine with Vista. We (Bob C and I) two years ago could not get DS to install with my Windows 7. Every time since then that we've gotten an update I've tried to install it in the Windows 7 environment, but no luck.

6. There's only one good set of measurements in all the trials that live in my measurements, and I'm pretty sure I have a printed copy in my paper files. So this probably isn't a world crisis.

posted Hide Post
Oh, 7, one last thing: the standard dress measurements are gone too.

Board Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh, 7, one last thing: the standard dress measurements are gone too.

The standard size option was dropped from this version of Dress Shop and for all that will follow. We do not believe in standard sizing and wish to discourage anyone else from mucking with them ever again. The Size Wizard provides a much better starting place to a first chart than the standard sizing options we once also offered.

Board Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
In File Settings, and also listed on my C drive, where you can see the actual files, the file listed is just what I believe is exactly what is should be:

C:\Program Files\Livingsoft\DressShop\

4. But there are no measurements in my Load measurements screen.

5. I am operating my system in a virtual machine with Vista.

Your load measurement screen should be looking in a "MyDocuments" folder, where Vista and Win7 now want application data files to appear. Your former measurements did not get copied up there properly because they are hidden by Vista, in a virtual folder. The way to get to that folder is described at length in the longer posting I put up earlier. I realize that posting was confusing and hard to read. But, if you want to find your old files, you will need to get through at least this part:

3. Vista or Win7, user account, 32 bit computer, and you told it to run Dress Shop as an administrator. In this case, your personal data files are probably here:

c:\Users\<your name>/AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Livingsoft\DressShop\

4. Vista or Win7, user account, 64 bit computer, and you told it to run Dress Shop as an administrator. In this case, your personal data files are probably here:

c:\Users\<your name>/AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Livingsoft\DressShop\

Final note: The AppData folder is a hidden system folder. To even find it, you have run Windows Explorer (same as My Computer and NOT Internet Explorer). Press the ALT key to get the main menu options. Open the Tools menu and look for "Folder Options". Select that and look down the list. Uncheck anything that says "Hide ..." this that or the other. In particular, I think it is the "Don't show hidden system files" or wording like that. Uncheck that and Windows may let you see where these hidden shadown folders are.

posted Hide Post
Will anything ba happen if I don't do this procedure? Because I already inputted the one measurement set that works. But I'll take up my cross willingly if necessary to future saving or anything.

Is this Bob?

posted Hide Post
bad, not ba

Board Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Will anything ba happen if I don't do this procedure? Because I already inputted the one measurement set that works. But I'll take up my cross willingly if necessary to future saving or anything.

Is this Bob?

Yes, this is Bob. No, nothing bad will happen if you abandon old copies of former charts. It is only if you really need to recover any of those for some reason that they are worth tracking down.

posted Hide Post
Hey, Bob! I could tell it was you! : ) Did this happen with all the downloads, or just those in a virtual machine?

Hope you're doing fine, and your family! Everything is great here, in spite of some family layoffs.

posted Hide Post
A litle follow up to this there really are no TRUE standard sizes- each designer,and manufacturer world wide uses their own "Model" to fit the demographics they sell to.

A size 2 or size 20 US can mean many different end results within the same retail store. I might take a 14 at JC Penny and a 10 at a high end boutique...come on.. already.

I am MY size -NOT a NUMBER assigned by even the best Designer.

Down with size numbers!!!

Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Board Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hey, Bob! I could tell it was you! : ) Did this happen with all the downloads, or just those in a virtual machine?

The problem with the missing measurement files is only on those systems using the virtual machine folder. We thought that was very, very few. But, it turns out that if at some point you ran Dress Shop from a user account, Windows would then move application data files to the virtual machine folders without telling you. This happened to some that had no idea.

Those that always ran an administrator account did not run into the problem.

This latest change to Dress Shop is the only one it has or will matter for. Only this version is moving the Dress Shop data files to the recommended "MyDocuments" area. Henceforth, data will be in one place and easy to find and copy and delete, whether you are an admininstrator or user. Getting to this proper state has been the challenge of this latest update. After this one, though, it should never again be an issue.