Dress Shop Home Page    livingsoftnw.groupee.net    Discussion List  Hop To Forum Categories  Dress Shop App  Hop To Forums  Dress Shop Topics    Facings for no waistband skirt
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Facings for no waistband skirt
 Login/Join

posted
I was surprised to see that no facings are offered for a skirt with no waistband. I guess that I can cut another top portion of the pattern to fashion a facing. Any other suggestions or options?

Dress Shop 6.17, Fashion Designer 1 & 2, Princess Designer, Fit Tools

Posts: 5 | Location: Queens, New York | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LaLobaNYC:
I was surprised to see that no facings are offered for a skirt with no waistband. I guess that I can cut another top portion of the pattern to fashion a facing. Any other suggestions or options?

I always used to use grograin ribbon, for a none waistband finish.Or cut some cross grain fabric, and make a waistband for the inside,sewing from the right side of the waistband fold over and sew down.

Posts: 1535 | Location: Ontario. Canada | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just trace off the waist for a facing

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have seen three main alternatives for a no waistband skirt: wide bias used as a "facing" applied with a tape stay to keep the bias from stretching out, petersham ribbon (sort of like wide gros grain ribbon but with more body - it is a stay but is wide eough to cover the seam allowance) used as a facing, and a lining (with a tape/ribbon stay to keep the bias fabric at the waist from stretching out).

Cutting a three inch or so wide verson of the top of the skirt after folding out any darts would make a facing pattern - but the fabric might still retain its shape better with some kind of tape or ribbon stay.

(I sent this earlier - but forgot that you had to be on the website to "reply").

Renee Graham
torn between two sewing rooms until 1 June

Renee Graham
Home is where the sewing room is!

Posts: 31 | Location: Fort Bend, Texas | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post