Dress Shop Home Page    livingsoftnw.groupee.net    Discussion List  Hop To Forum Categories  Dress Shop App  Hop To Forums  Dress Shop Topics    How do you store your patterns?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do you store your patterns?
 Login/Join

<Anna R>
posted
Does anyone have a great idea how to store the wonderful pattern we create? I was thinking of a zip-lock bag with a picture inside. I would like to know what other people are doing.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sadly, I don't have any patterns to store, yet. Soon. But I did use another brand of pattern drafting software for a few years, and I had two methods for storing. I kept a 3 ring binder with the design info, fabric swatches taped on the page, and sometimes the 1/4 scale printouts, and also either
1. Rolled (as in map tubes) with the name of the pattern on the tube and fabric swatches (so I knew "this is the pattern for the red blouse that fit", or

2. I hung the patterns. This I liked better. I fastened them with a clip and hung the clip on removable 3-M hooks on the wall. But on this forum I've heard a better suggestion, punch a hole in each pattern piece (reinforce it) and then hang the pattern over a good white hanger from the laundry. This would work well for those that have a closet &/or rod.

I don't like to fold patterns on bond paper.

Posts: 473 | Registered: 11 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Right now I'm storing them in zip locks with the pattern summary screen capture with "Print Desk Top". I put in a scrap of the fabric I used wiht that pattern. But it is getting cumbersome to store them this way. Not sure exactly what I'll try next . I did get rid of all my old commercial patterns. Cost me a bundle to send them to the charity, but I know someone may get some good out of them. I stored them in rubbermaid square bins in zip locks. So maybe I'll just put my DS patterns in those bins. Not as easy to find what I want as the commercial though. Have to come up with a good orginization plan. Wink

Posts: 67 | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I store my patterns now this way,punch a hole thru all pieces, and hang with a large safety pin onto a coat hanger the wired types.You can get a few on a hanger too.I only keep my best ones that fit good.

M.P.D4.Pro.MPD Tools
Collections-Spring- Summer-Fall- Winter-Jeans Machine.
Windows7Home Prem. IE10

Posts: 1535 | Location: Ontario. Canada | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I roll them up and tie a piece of fabric used in what I made around them to identify the pattern. I dont have that many so it works for me...I store them in a big basket on my bookshelf. Hopefully I will have to come up with a new idea because I will have more to save.

Dress Shop-7 Pro and MPD Pro Stand Alone

Posts: 208 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 10 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Bernie>
posted
Someone on this forum suggested punching a hole in the top of each pattern piece.
Reinforce the hole front and back with those sticky white things.
Place the pattern pieces on a pear shaped metal shower curtain ring. Don't buy the plastic ones. They are too thick and hard to use. The dollar store has everything you will need.
Hang the ring of pattern pieces on your closet rod. This works well for me and I thank the person who thought of it.
Write all of your info right on the pattern, you might forget. Staple a piece of the fabric you used to make your garment on the pattern.

posted Hide Post
Dont forget you have the pattern summary, if you do the summaryh before you print the final patern you can add free form text that will also print on the pattern. The summary can be taped to the back side of a pattern piece.

Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Bernie>
posted
Thanks, Karen. I didn't know the summary would print on the pattern. That will certainly save me some work when I store my patterns.