New
Find
Notify
Tools

dolman sleeves
 Login/Join

posted
Hi
I have a question about dolman sleeves. I recently purchased dress shop standard.Iam using RTW sizing with minimal changes. I have no problems with set-in sleeves. However i am trying an standard unfitted top with dolman sleeves and there is too much fabric around the front and back armhole and under the arm. (so much fabric that I can make a fold from the shoulder to the underarm area on front and back.
I hope I can get some help in sovling this problem. Thanks

Posts: 18 | Registered: 23 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The dolman sleeve has been pretty consistent through fashion history with some variants but is loosely defined as a cut on rather than set in sleeve with a large,deep armhole that narrows at the wrist. The arm hole is often deeper than bust level ending somewhere between bust and waist. The bat wing variant is even wider and deeper. The shoulder is also extended and raised.

seedolman sleeve garments

The current season dolman's by a number of designers in various fabrics are shown at this site and the majority are made of fairly lightweight knit/stretch fabrics.

I haven't looked at the design parameters of this sleeve in a long time; but, I still have one I made in my closet made in a lightweight stretch jersey. As it is anything BUT slenderizing (better used by the slendar, smaller busted body shape) its not likely to be worn in the near future. Fabric choice is very important with this sleeve/shape feather to lightweight fabrics work best. It's not going to drape well with a typical woven shirting or heavier fabric.

Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thank you Kaaren for the information. I was just trying out the style in muslin and was not thinking about the fabric itself. I am trying to learn about matching fabrics and styles along with learning to sew without a commercial pattern.

Posts: 18 | Registered: 23 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post