Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

adjusted hem length
 Login/Join

posted
I selected a new hem length for the armhole princess dress. It specified floor to hem. I measured where I wanted the hem to be and put that number in. The pattern printed off the cut off point at that number (15 inches floor to hem) with no hem allowance. That would have left my hem 2 inches too short. Is this right, or a problem?

Fyfee

got it all. Running Dress Shop 6.19 and MPD pro; doll shop, home dec and hat shop

Posts: 34 | Location: Renton, Washington | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
go to options and see what you ahve set for hem widrth. Normally its 2 inches you may ahve 0 in the box or are drafting with no seam allowances which means it would draft to stich or finished hem height.
Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the seam allowances on, and the depth of the hem at 2 inches. The pattern printed with the hem marked. The dress will just be 2 inches shorter than I requested.

got it all. Running Dress Shop 6.19 and MPD pro; doll shop, home dec and hat shop

Posts: 34 | Location: Renton, Washington | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have the seam allowances on, and the depth of the hem at 2 inches. The pattern printed with the hem marked. The dress will just be 2 inches shorter than I requested.

Frecia, that's a problem, not a design feature. Unless your legs just grew 2 inches in the night you should be able to expect that hem height to be right. Send in a problem report. It surely doesn't happen just to you. I'll go try it and see.

Kathy Warner

Posts: 81 | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK, I tried it with a straight skirt and the ref lines on. I checked, the hem allowance is 2 inches, my knee line is 17.5 from the floor. I checked that to be sure, and it's right in the middle of the kneecap.

Asking for a hem 17" above the floor gave me an end of the hem allowance line a good inch above the reference knee line, so the hem would be about 20.5 inches finished. Asking for 14" above the floor the finished hemline would be an inch below the knee ref line or 16.5".

Could someone else try this and see what you get?

Kathy Warner

Posts: 81 | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just checked botht eh arm hole pricness and the classic princess dresses in my chart

I have my chart floor to knee as 16.5 inches
that would mean my waist to knee at side is slightly over 2o.75 inches

when i selectd length on Mia and elect knee and then redraft the skirt measures 20.5 inches down from waist at side both front and back.

with seam allowance and hem allowance on I get the extra skirt hem.

Tried again with seam allowance off and dress is still 20.75 inches.

IF you have a 2" tilt to the waist at center front and are measuring length at center versus side that might account for the difference.

Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post