Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dress Forms
 Login/Join

posted
I know that at one time Kaaren gave instructions for making a dress form with your measurements in Dress Shop. You could do a full form and a mini-me. Does anyone have those instructions?
With the advent of 3D printing it seems like Livingsoft would jump at the opportunity to market this product to make custom dress forms.

Posts: 25 | Registered: 29 April 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Remember seeing that also. Did you search this forum? Also check back through Kaaren's classes - it might have been one of those. If I find it I'll let you know. Good luck.

Posts: 61 | Registered: 22 May 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also thought it may be on the old quiltropolis site, but I have no idea what my user name & password is. Maybe send a report to Bob Clardy - I bet he would know where to find that information.

Posts: 61 | Registered: 22 May 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you search on the web there are many sites that will tell you how to make a personal dressform including one on youtube that you can watch. I think that Kaaren's dress form was made from the sloper which was then stuffed. I know that the "mini-me" was made from the 25% print out of the sloper and stuffed.

If you are going to use your sloper make sure that it fits you correctly or it will be a lost cause.

Years ago my mother made a dress form for me by the tee shirt and tape method. There was an article in Threads magazine several years ago discussing the several methods for doing dress forms.
www.threadsmagazine.com/item/3...-a-fitting-assistant

Selma in VA, DS educator
DS and MPD

Posts: 32 | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did receive the instructions for the mini-me. I thought there were also instructions for the full sized dress forms, but no one has spoken up regarding this....

Posts: 25 | Registered: 29 April 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't find my notes on the mini me, but it was only an 1/4 or 1/8th scale - to update to full size is to be happy with your sloper, copy markings onto a sturdy fabric or card and put together (remembering to make sure body depths are accurate - see below). Then make a stand or base.

I have notes in Discussion already, which I have re-pasted here to help -

"Unfortunately the person with the best info would be Don McCunn, who has retired from teaching, and whose class website is unavailable to me, probably because there is a newer one being setup. He still has his introduction up on YouTube, with some reminders of why it can be difficult (but not impossible) to go this route.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...t=PLDCAF15E0E4969398 "

On the subject of 3D printers, at the moment MPD and Dress Shop are designed for Flat pattern drafting. To achieve 3D you would most likely need a specific 3D Scanner to get a body double, or possibly a series of photographs set in 3D mode -(Yes, replacement organs are being created using CT Scans), and depending on the materials used plus costs of machine would probably cost more than you would be willing to pay. Some savings could possibly be made by having a double made in segments in a smaller printer then joined together.

(going by the cost of printers here in Australia, and a bag of plastic to refill the unit, though of course prices are frequently excessively padded here, and it isn't all freight costs......)

You may find the link re construction of a dress in a 3D printer of interest. I note that the dress is actually compressed for construction in a smaller volume printer.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jrosenk/11060318176

Helen M
Sth Australia
DS9 Pro
Ultimate Outerwear,
Ultimate Pants.
Add Ons 1 - 14,
Pattern Sets 1044,1046, 1049,1050. & other.
Autumn 2009
Ultimate Lingerie & Loungewear '23

Windows 11 x64 Pro
Canon IX6860

Posts: 77 | Location: Australia | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post