Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Patch problem
 Login/Join

posted
I downloaded the new patch this morning and was warned by Norton Antiviruw that the virus W32.Pinfi was attached to it and removed. Am not sure if I should try to install the patch, download again or what. Any guidance would be most appreciated.

Spring & Summer Collection
Dress Shop Activewear II
Dress Shop 6 Pro
Fashion Designer 2
Pattern Set #1050
Princess Designer
Illusions
Pattern Set #1052
Ultimate Outerwear
Dress Shop 5 Pro
Dress Shop Ultimate Pants
Home Dec Sampler
Fashion Designer
Pattern Packs 1001 through 1044
Pattern Set #1045
Windows XP Home
IE 6.02
HP psc 2410xi

Posts: 7 | Location: West Chester, PA | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A number of people on the other list have also reported that their Anti Virus program found the same W32.Pinfi virus.

A quick read on the Symantec site says:
Appends itself to all the .EXE and .SCR files that it finds on all the local and mapped drives. The virus contains an algorithm to slow the infection, so the virus will only infect a few files at a time.

Could the programmers please give this urgent attention even if it is just to confirm that the download itself is not infected.

Tessa
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DS Deluxe
v6.13 on desktop
v6.09 on laptop

Posts: 141 | Location: Edmonton, Canada | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Board Administrator
posted Hide Post
Hi,

I've scanned both our local copy as well as the one on the site and can't find any virus. I would guess that the virus already existed on those couple of users machines prior to or after they downloaded our update.

Thanks very much for bringing this to our attention, we take this very seriously.

Greg Hightower

Board Administrator, Dress Shop App

Posts: 1868 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with Gregg. I did a full download and an update on my computer yesterday. I just scanned both computers and no viruses were found, so they must have been on some computers prior to the download.

I talked to hubby also and he reminded me of the major worm that got through yesterday nthat was all over the news and affected places like CNN and even his place of business, a major corporation. So you may have been affected by something else coming from somehwere else.
HTH,
Linda Flint

Posts: 139 | Location: New York | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I updated my Norton Antivirus and did a scan prior to the download. No viruses were found. The message definately said it was attached to the download.

Spring & Summer Collection
Dress Shop Activewear II
Dress Shop 6 Pro
Fashion Designer 2
Pattern Set #1050
Princess Designer
Illusions
Pattern Set #1052
Ultimate Outerwear
Dress Shop 5 Pro
Dress Shop Ultimate Pants
Home Dec Sampler
Fashion Designer
Pattern Packs 1001 through 1044
Pattern Set #1045
Windows XP Home
IE 6.02
HP psc 2410xi

Posts: 7 | Location: West Chester, PA | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just ran Norton AniVirus Professional, Ver. 10.0.13.3a and Norton found (and repaired) two files with virus problems.
>
> The report says:
>
> Filename: DS6 11 patch.exe
> Threat N.: W32.Pinfi
> Action: Virus Found
> Status: Repaired
>
> and
>
> Filename: B208CFD1dol
> Threat N.: W32.Pinfi
> Action: Virus Found
> Status: Repaired
>
>
>
>
>

Posts: 16 | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Diana Lemon>
posted
Hello all, Guess you better add me to the list of people who had to have Norton remove the W32Pinfi virus. Odd that I had just checked my security and had Symantic check for viruses ( All Clean results! ) Come on guys something is happening here.
Diana Lemon
Almost all DressShop 6 Programs

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Something IS happening but its NOT BEING FOUND in that download which has been scanned with 5 different anti virus programs by both Bob and Greg......

I took that patch and have Norton on my system and it reported it is NOT infected....IF the virus/ii was in the dowload eveyr single person would recieve the bad file.not one in 100... or one in 50....or one in 500

Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I scanned it with McAfee before installing it and it was clean. I always scan a file that I have downloaded from the internet before running it.

Elsa

Posts: 70 | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have Nortons too,it didnt find any virus's.Symantec didn't find any eighter, when I checked there,so Im clean here.

M.P.D4.Pro.MPD Tools
Collections-Spring- Summer-Fall- Winter-Jeans Machine.
Windows7Home Prem. IE10

Posts: 1535 | Location: Ontario. Canada | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post