New
Find
Notify
Tools

script error?
 Login/Join

posted
Hi all --

I have been drafting happily away with my Dress Shop and suddenly this weekend it stopped working. When I open the program and click on anything at all, I get a script error.

you can see the error here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/ki...#5558900014204473570

I emailed support but I haven't heard back.... and I really need to generate some patterns!

any thoughts?

thanks,
Kimmerie

Posts: 6 | Location: Burlington, MA | Registered: 18 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Board Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
you can see the error here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/ki...#5558900014204473570

I emailed support but I haven't heard back.... and I really need to generate some patterns!

any thoughts?

Three thoughts:

1. That line is nothing out of the ordinary and that error does not suggest anything in particular.

2. If it worked one day, then produces a script error the next, then your program has changed. If you did not install anything, then that means something else changed it. Something on your system has over-written or corrupted some file in Dress Shop. You should:
a. Reinstall the last update. That should replace the corrupted file.
b. You might need to run a registry cleaner utility. If the system registry has been corrupted (a common issue), then it has to be repaired or cleaned. After that is done, you will again need to reinstall the last update, this time just to rebuild the proper system registry entries.
c. Where ever you sent your email for help, it did not get to anyone at Livingsoft. You should use the contact links found on the Livingsoft web site support page. Or, send a problem report. Any other emails may go nowhere useful.

That is all I can suggest without a problem report. Those do provide a lot more information, such as what version you are running, for instance.

Board Administrator, Dress Shop App

Posts: 1868 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks for the response.

a) I did reinstall - no help.

b) I ran my registry cleaner and then reinstalled DS - no luck.

c) I sent my email to info1@livingsoftnw.com, through the contact link on the web page. I would send a problem report except I can't get the program to run that far!

Is there other info I can tell you that would help? I'm running Dress Shop Pro Version 8.04. My system is running Windows XP Professional, Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600. Internet Explorer is Version 8.0.6001.18702.

--Kimmerie

Posts: 6 | Location: Burlington, MA | Registered: 18 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Board Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Kimmerie-google that error, with as much info as possible,you may get some answers,I rather think its IE which causes it.I was having script errors a while back too,but somehow they stopped,gremlins in my PC i think perhaps resetting IE may help you.

Sorry, but I don't think so. There are different types of error messages you can get on your computer. Windows errors, device driver errors, and internal program error messages are all often talked about on-line in various places and googling would help.

A script error is specific to the web site or application that produced it. This one will only be meaningful to users of Dress Shop 8. This forum has more of those than the rest of the Internet world.

Generally when we see a script error, I can look at the code and see what that line reads and tell you what might cause it. Even a single character typo on our part would do it, but I would see those and release a patch or update. Sometimes they are caused only when there is no user account active, or a really bad measurement value (perhaps a character, rather than a number, for instance). Other things might suggest a user data issue that I could advise about.

This one does not. So, that leaves 4 things to try:

1. When you reinstalled, did you use the current update. That one is 8.04. If you have a an earlier version, then I may be looking at the wrong line number. They change when we do updates.

2. Did you download the most recent update again before you reinstalled? An average update includes 60 million characters of data in them. If even one of those was corrupted during your earlier download, then it will stay corrupted no mattter how many times you reinstall it. In that case, you need a fresh download.

3. Did you run a scan disk? A defect on your hard drive will still be there as install the same file on top of it over and over. If you do a scan disk (launch My Computer, right click on your 'C' drive, select Properties, then the Tools tab, then "Check Now..." This will find disk flaws and quarantine them so they cannot be used thereafter. You would then have to reinstall again so your files are placed elsewhere now.

4. If none of that works, then I will have to get with you off-line to go over other more esoteric problems with your system, downloads, or other software.

Sorry the quick fix was not enough. But, do try these before you go to Google. I really do not expect it can help you at all....

Posts: 1868 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Board Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
1. When you reinstalled, did you use the current update. That one is 8.04. If you have a an earlier version, then I may be looking at the wrong line number. They change when we do updates.

I re-read your earlier post and noted that you did mention you were using version 8.04. But, the screen capture of the error is gone now. I believe it was in DSmain.htm, but what was the line number again?

posted Hide Post
It used to be line 2079, but now it's 2080...
char 3
file:///C:/Program%20Files/LivingSoft/DressShop/DSMain.htm

I got an email from support suggesting that I run setup.bat. I have DS8setup.bat, and I ran it and it said it worked, but it didn't fix the problem.. Frowner

all suggestions more than appreciated!!

Board Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
It used to be line 2079, but now it's 2080...
char 3
file:///C:/Program%20Files/LivingSoft/DressShop/DSMain.htm

Well, one line number makes a difference. The prior line 2079 would suggest a registry error, but you have done everything we normally suggest to fix registry problems. The one additional suggestion that has come up since you last posted to the forum was to do a registry clean / fix with a different tools. One user that could not fix her registry problem using Glary Utilities, tried Piriform's CCleaner (www.ccleaner.com) and that worked.

But, that next line number 2080 is a bit different. That line involves contacting the Livingsoft web site using what are referred to as SOAP (Simple Object Access Protocol)functions. This is a service, built into Windows and IE that permits an application to contact a web service. I have not heard of it failiing, but anything can fail, I guess. In any case, most of SOAP is installed any time you install a Dress Shop build. But, there are bits of it in Windows and bits in Internet Explorer. So, if SOAP is failing, you may need to update either Windows or Internet Explorer to get it fixed.

Sorry I have no idea which is more likely. Internet Explorer is certainly easier.

There is also the remote chance that your firewall is simply blocking the contact between Dress Shop and the Livingsoft web site. Normally, if that is the case, the error message that is produced is detected and the effort aborts. But, if there has been some change in your firewall or security settings and if Dress Shop is not detecting that properly, that could be involved. To test that, you would need to disable your firewall while you run Dress Shop. If the error does not occur at that time, then check firewall settings to find out how to instruct it to allow Dress Shop to have Internet access. All firewalls are different in how this is done, so I cannot be more specific.

I hope something in all this is of some use....

Board Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have been drafting happily away with my Dress Shop and suddenly this weekend it stopped working. When I open the program and click on anything at all, I get a script error.

This was a post from several months ago, but I thought I would mention that the code that was probably causing this was removed with the latest Dress Shop update. If you ever see this issue again, do get the current build and it should go away.