livingsoftnw.groupee.net
Just showin' off! :)

This topic can be found at:
https://livingsoftnw.groupee.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/700108521/m/163009280101

02 September 2016, 08:29 AM
Dress Shop
Just showin' off! :)
Does anybody remember the TV ad back in the 70s for Miller Lite with Steve Mizerak, a pro pool player, where he made some crazy trick shots and then looked at the camera and said: "Even though a lot of people think that pool is not strenuous, but let me tell you somethin', you can work up a real good thirst, even when you're just showin' off!" ? Well, let me work up a thirst and show off a bit. Smiler

Here's a pair of shorts that I made. I used the pattern "Pants/Shorts/Tennis Woven", with one front dart and one back dart, set the length to an "added length" of 1". Using the Pro Tools/Ease Customizer, I set fit to "Comfort Fit". I used a plaid cotton flannel that I got from Michael Levine Fabrics in L.A. when I was visiting out there last year. I added a V slit at 3/4 front of the hem, not wanting to locate it at the side seam. Here are a couple of pics:

Check my blog for more details, for instance, on how I constructed the V slits.

--
Anna

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dress Shop,
03 September 2016, 07:15 AM
WendyKay
Anna - those shorts are really cute! I looked on your blog to see how you did the v slits, but I'm a little dense sometimes Smiler Could you do a step by step for dummies? I, too love working with plaids although they take a lot more time to cut out. I can remember in high school our home ec teacher would never let us buy plaids, so when I got a little older I jumped into the deep end & figured it out for myself.
03 September 2016, 09:04 AM
Anna Q. Nguyen
quote:
Originally posted by WendyKay:
Anna - those shorts are really cute! I looked on your blog to see how you did the v slits, but I'm a little dense sometimes Smiler Could you do a step by step for dummies? I, too love working with plaids although they take a lot more time to cut out. I can remember in high school our home ec teacher would never let us buy plaids, so when I got a little older I jumped into the deep end & figured it out for myself.
I'll write a blog post on how to do off-seam V slits soon.

Re. plaids: funny story about that pair of shorts: I had 2 1/2 yards of that fabric. You would think that would be more than enough for a pair of shorts, especially a shorter pair like the one I was making. As it turned out, I messed up matching the plaids twice and ended up having to actually piece together scraps to cut one of the back pieces! I guess it's the OCD side of me, refusing to make and wear a pair of shorts where the plaid stripes don't match up! The bonus was that I had two extra back pieces (mistakenly cut at 90°!) so I used them to make another pair of shorts .
12 September 2016, 07:03 PM
Dress Shop
quote:
Originally posted by Anna Q. Nguyen:
quote:
Originally posted by WendyKay:
I'll write a blog post on how to do off-seam V slits soon.
As promised, I wrote up a blog post on how I did the V-shape slit, here:

15 September 2016, 08:45 AM
WendyKay
Thanks so much, Anna - that looks pretty simple to do. Can't wait to try it out.