Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Interfacing
 Login/Join

posted
I have been making several pair of pants and skirts lately for the different members of my family.

I was wondering what weight interfacing do others use for waistbands? Do you use the same weight for your fly fronts?

I need to restock my supply and thought I would research this before I replenish.
Thank you,
Linda Flint

Posts: 139 | Location: New York | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you want a stiff waistband use a heavy
interfacing. If not use a mid-weight interfacing. I've been known to use elastic for my waistband.

sewlove

Posts: 21 | Location: NYC | Registered: 10 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Evelyn:
If you want a stiff waistband use a heavy
interfacing. If not use a mid-weight interfacing. I've been known to use elastic for my waistband.

sewlove

Hi Evelyn,
You bring up a good point, what kind of waistband do I want. And that is really what I was asking, you just put it into perspective.
Do I want a stiff or flexible waistband for men's pants. Should it be stiffer for a dressier pair of pants and less stiff for shorts and casuals? Mainly I would like to know for men's pants.

On my daughter's pants, I have been using a medium weight interfacing that gives the waistband some more thickness, but not necessarily a stiffness.
Linda Flint

Posts: 139 | Location: New York | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would like to share, what i use for my waistbands,since I don't like any stiffner at all in this area,I mainly use broadcloth!plus I dislike iron on types, since they do bubble up after a while.
And you get more for the money! 1 yard goes a long way.Grading the seams so that theres little bulk in the seam lines is fine.I also have used grograin ribbon for waistbands, but I find that a bit too stiff for myself.

Posts: 1535 | Location: Ontario. Canada | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post