Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Faced Hem
 Login/Join

posted
Can anyone give me instructions on a faced hem. I have been advised to do faced hem on the Dupion Silk jacket I am making. I am almost finished the jacket but cannot find instuctions anywhere. Did a google search to no avail

Posts: 237 | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can support the hem several ways. The first is to make a strip of fabric, hem allowance wide plus seam allowance by hem allowance long , apply as if an applied placket, or simply add a strip of interfacing pressed to the inside of the hem allowance,to stand "proud" use a stirp of horsehair, OR apply 1-2 " lace to the right side of the jacket which extends just a bit beyond the ower edge, turn press and hand catch stitch.

IF you have updated to V6.10 see the outstanding article by Luz Pearson In Help>Help Index>how to assemble> How to hem.

She even has PHOTOs on hand hem techniques as well as a variety of machine finishes.

This article and several others are bonus features for all users.

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A faced hem is used when the hem is shaped or curved so you can't simply fold up a wide hem allowance. An example would be on a flared peplum jacket with a rounded lower front corner.

It's just like a neck or armhole facing except being at the hem it gets a fancy name. Use your jacket pattern and trace off the hem edge. If the jacket has princess seams, the pattern pieces can be overlapped at the princess seams to make one continuous facing for the front hem and another for the back hem (not a small facing for each panel hem). Mark 3cm or 4cm (or to suit) from the stitch line for the width. Sew it like a facing using understitching. Roll the seam 2mm to the inside before hemming the faced hem in place.

Tessa
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DS Deluxe
v6.13 on desktop
v6.09 on laptop

Posts: 141 | Location: Edmonton, Canada | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the prompt reply from Kaaren and Tessa. Will I have to cut the faced bit on the bias
Marge UK

Posts: 237 | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the hem is curved I probably would and use an intefracing that's also bias cut.
if the hem is relatively straight off the bottom edge of a square cut finish.I woiuld use an on grain facing.

Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post