New
Find
Notify
Tools

#$%#$%#$% DARTS!!
 Login/Join

<Arizona Kathy>
posted
Okay, I've learned that I can click on any post in my mailbox at the top to get here to the board. Where is the function for cut and paste... To the powers that be... I really DON't like this format, but I'll adjust. I wanted to cut from below and paste the phrase, "Okay folks, I'm actually sewing" so I'll type again and then go delete, more sewing time gone But, I digress.

And, I think I've made my way to the right area in which to post my question.

I'm making up a knit shirt that I'm trying to get finished to wear to a User Group meeting tomorrow.

Am working with one of my $1.00 a yard Wally world treasures, a very lightweight poly knit.

Now... what is the secret to darts that don't go off all pointy on their own.

And, yes, I need and want darts in knits, it's one of the joys of being a 38 DDD.

And, yes, I'm messing with scraps, various heat settings, press cloth and ham... the kosher kind of course, a dressmakers ham... (smile)

Any and all hints gratefully accepted.

I'm getting pretty good at fit but have been doing so much down and dirty sewing that my skills have gone downhill.

And, I'm remembering why I really don't gravitate to poly fibers.

Kathy in AZ

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As an aside, I do like the idea that replies to a topic stay together on the list. Cuts down on the need for those replies with really long copies from a previous post.

I just made a Fitted Shirt with no design ease and minus wear ease in $1 Wally knit. Think it must have been some kind of a polyester that almost draped like a slinky.

I'm a 42G (if I could find a bra that size). I used the dart offset 2.75" and I don't have the pointy at the end of the dart. Not sure whether it was lucky choice in the options or the weight of the knit pulls out any pointy.

Vicki

MPD Pro 4.00a, DS 9.09a, Win 7, IE10, HP Deskjet 7000 & Officejet Pro K8600

Posts: 208 | Location: in Texas | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kathy,
I make my knits with darts all the time.

1. Offset your dart, I use 3".
2. Then draw the end of your dart into a "Y" shape about 2.5" in from the tip of the dart, kind of like the curving shape we had on pants with the one "Y" leg being about 1/2" long.
3. Set your stitch length to 3mm, sorry don't know the conversation amount, not long enough to not be a basting stitch, but a little longer than 2.5 mm
4. If you have a walking foot use that.
5. Relax, take a breath and go to the iron, press to set the seam, lay it facing down towards the waist, press. Open up and lay over a ham and press again.
6. If it is still pointy, no lie this works. Leave it, Let it relax for a few hours and try it on again. AND I have had pointys work there way out through a washing also. Even though I shrink my fabric twice before I wash it, it still helps.
7. The Important one: Not all knits are the same!!!! You may get a pointy in this fabric, but someday you will pick up another kind and get no pointys. It is all up to the sewing goddess. Oh yeah, it doesn't hurt to say a prayer to her also - you know Mother stitchintime! Smiler
HTH, every t-shirt I have made has a dart in it.
Linda Flint

Posts: 139 | Location: New York | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post