Dress Shop Home Page    livingsoftnw.groupee.net    Discussion List  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Topic Area  Hop To Forums  Sewing Related Things    Altering Ready to Wear Waistband
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Altering Ready to Wear Waistband
 Login/Join

posted
Hello,
I do have Dress Shop and use it a lot. But, unfortunately, I do sometimes have to buy jeans! I have gotten so used to a custom fit, that RTW jeans feel awful! The size that actually fits most of my body pinches my abdomen when I sit down. I can't tolerate that any more! So, I bought a bigger size, and the waist band gapes in the back...like 4 inches! The pants are falling off! (The waist band in the front is loose, but comfy.)Can anyone tell me a good way to alter my jeans?

(And I guess I'll have to start sewing jeans!)

Thank you!

Michelle G.
MPD 3.05 Pro
Dress Shop Pro 9.08
Windows 7

Posts: 62 | Registered: 09 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
So, I bought a bigger size, and the waist band gapes in the back...like 4 inches! The pants are falling off! (The waist band in the front is loose, but comfy.)Can anyone tell me a good way to alter my jeans?

a job I happily haven't done in many years. First practice your flat felled seam and come as close as possible to the thread color.

Remove the belt loops and waistband in back.
Take a dart down center back the length of your center back dart on your real pant, BASTE don't stitch - try them on. The pocket and grain may go off with that large a dart. IF it looks ok, flat fell stitch , trim seam allowance put waistband back on and re place belt loops. IF it does go off grain and angles the pockets and looks horrid...take 1/2 the dart out at center back and 1/4 out of each back pocket ( presuming there are 2 patch pockets) IF you are careful you may be abkle to dart the pant back with pocket still attached...so 2 inches per center back and 1 per each mid buttock. replace waistband and belt loops.

I don't envy the job I have never ever liked alterations- would rather start from scratch.

BTW- open MPD and type jeans in the pattern number box.......

Final tip: cover a hammer with a scrap of cloth and pound out those thick seams to flatten and soften- much easier to sew!

Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, when Kaaren says it's difficult and no fun...you know it's true!
I tried altering my RTW jeans. First of all, RTW jeans are REALLY well made! It's very difficult to pick out the stitching! And, of course, I made a hole in the fabric twice while picking out the belt loops! I did the alteration, and the fit is great...but the pockets looked bad. So, I removed the pockets (2 more holes), and tried to sew them back on so they would look OK. But, the fabric underneath the pocket is a much darker color, so you can see it on the side of the new pocket placement. I thought maybe no one would notice...wrong! My huband thought I had sat in some water!
I guess I have a fine fitting pair of painting jeans now! Smiler
And I guess I'll be trying to sew some jeans using a dress shop pattern for my next project!

Michelle G.
MPD 3.05 Pro
Dress Shop Pro 9.08
Windows 7

Posts: 62 | Registered: 09 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michelle G.:
Well, when Kaaren says it's difficult and no fun...you know it's true!
I tried altering my RTW jeans. First of all, RTW jeans are REALLY well made! It's very difficult to pick out the stitching! And, of course, I made a hole in the fabric twice while picking out the belt loops! I did the alteration, and the fit is great...but the pockets looked bad. So, I removed the pockets (2 more holes), and tried to sew them back on so they would look OK. But, the fabric underneath the pocket is a much darker color, so you can see it on the side of the new pocket placement. I thought maybe no one would notice...wrong! My huband thought I had sat in some water!
I guess I have a fine fitting pair of painting jeans now! Smiler
And I guess I'll be trying to sew some jeans using a dress shop pattern for my next project!
I tried letting down the hemline on DH's pants once, that was enough for me!Do try and make some you'll not regret it im sure.

Posts: 1535 | Location: Ontario. Canada | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post